Search results

1. N

EMC KTN-STL3 15 bay chassis

WARNING! Hmm. So I got a deal on SAS3 12GBPS Controllers for my KTN-STL3 for $50 each. Part Number is 303-300-000C-02 My existing controllers are part number 303-108-000E The problem is that the alignment pins prevent the new controllers from being installed, so they are apparently NOT...
  2. N

Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Hi all, I started using EPYC for my workstation. I saw this thread and was wondering what some of my options may be. I have an H11SSL-I and a 7302p. Are there any 16 core QS part numbers I can purchase? Basically looking for an alternate (cheaper) upgrade path vs buying a 7F52. My 7302p stays...
  3. N

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

Yeah, I can absolutely set the RAW fan speed on my H11SSL-I and H12SSL-I ...
  4. N

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

My H12SSL-I is the same as X10 boards. Also thanks to folks for assistance with this :)
  5. N

TrueNAS Scale NVME Performance Testing

ZSTD in it's "default" setting (5?)
  6. N

TrueNAS Scale NVME Performance Testing

Over the past year or so I have been obsessively exploring various aspects of ZFS performance, from large SATA arrays with multiple HBA cards, to testing NVME performance. In my previous testing I was leveraging castoff enterprise servers that were Westmere, Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge based...
  7. N

Lowest Power Consumption NIC

Hi All, Not sure if this is documented somewhere, and I am sorry if I missed the topic. Looking for the most efficient dual-port 10 gig NIC for a homelab server. SFP+ cage is probably obviously lower power than copper. Intel X710? Connect-X 4? Chelsio?
  8. N

NVME U.2 Disk Enclusers

Hi All, Just wondering, I have bought a variety of disk shelfs over the years from a bunch of vendors. Perhaps I just don't know where to look or they are just too new to be showing up in places like eBay. I know there are some Tri-Mode external HBA cards from Broadcom like the 9500-8e: HBA...
  9. N

Hey, Yes, Intended to pick these up for my 3.5" 15-disk DAE but I was wondering about the 2.5" 25-disk one
  10. N

Hey man, any idea what the part numbers for IOMs and PSUs are for the 2U 25 bay 2.5" DAE? The PSU I have is 071-000-541 and is rather loud.
  11. N

NetApp Flash Cache

Not sure if these will even work in a standard server, if there are drivers required or anything else.... But 2TB of PCIE storage for less than $90 is interesting. NetApp Flash Cache II 2TB PCI-E Module 110-00202 111-00904 | eBay
  12. N

Router hardware recommendation - > 1 Gbps WAN

I just went through a similar exercise. A new ISP on my area started offering 2Gb Fiber to the Home. Hand off is RJ45 10 gig from an XGS PON ONT. I picked up this bundle Supermicro X11SSQ-L-DE05B Embedded Intel G4600 Chip plus 8GB RAM 974575260957 | eBay And an Intel x710-da4 (a Cisco ucs...
  13. N

A funny story about pfSense

I posted this on reddit and figured I would share here too because I think it's hilarious. So for my day job I am in charge if a relatively large enterprise with about 30,000 total users. For Firewall on the edge we have had both Fortigate and now Palo Alto. For everything else, we have been...
  14. N

pfsense Multigigabit

I picked up one of these. I'm not sure why FS is so expensive these days 10G SFP+ to RJ45 for Cisco SFP-10G-T-80 Compatible, 10GBASE-T SFP+ Copper RJ-45 80m Transceiver Module : Electronics (amazon.com) Handoff is copper 10G not 2.5G. Found a quad X710 for $199 Cisco UCSC-PCIE-IQ10GF 10GB SFP+...
  15. N

pfsense Multigigabit

Hi All, Posting to see if others have any experience to speak of when it comes to pfsense with multigigabit WAN connections. Recently an ISP in my area began offering FTTH with 3 offerings, 500/500 1000/1000 and 2000/2000. I just booked installation for next weekend for the gigabit tier for...
  16. N

ZFS without a Server Using the NVIDIA BlueField-2 DPU

So let me try and unpack this. Much like in your demo, Intel is literally making the network cards into a SAN at the same time as they are shipping iSCSI LUNs to your compute? How do the cards talk to the NVME devices, are the cards themselves the PCI-E root? Is the DPU/IPU literally taking over...
  17. N

Sure, but without the specific data comparisons, it's difficult to compare to native PCI-E fabrics with HBA cards (which have PLX switch chips that I'm sure also introduce latency?) to RDMA. Perhaps that's an opportunity for you to explore some day for us dear readers :) Still, native PCI-E is...
  18. N

Used HGST He10 drives -- good value?

I just recently bought 3 10TB drives from this seller on ebay HUH721010AL4200/42C0 HGST Ultrastar He10 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gbps 256MB 2018 | eBay I added them as an additional pool in my TrueNAS box in addition to a pool of 6 10TB WD drives I shucked that cost between 120-180 a piece as they...
  19. N

@Patrick I am trying to understand what this would look like from a reference architecture or best practices deployment guide for a datacenter. A "traditional datacenter" would look something like this: Or something like this: I guess what I am having trouble grasping is how you would...