Search results

1. H

WTB [US] Norco RPC-432 or similar 4U short depth chassis

As the title says, looking for a Norco RPC-432 4U chassis to replace my RPC-4308. I'm moving off the 5x4TB RAID / DrivePool array and would like a chassis that has front fans and more cooling - and something that can accommodate longer graphics cards Unfortunately, due to limited rack depth, I...
  2. H

GBASE-T transceivers performance with NBASE-T - Marvell 88x3300 v/s Aquantia AQS-107

I've been testing GBASE-T transceivers from Ipolex, Wiitek and Aquantia. The endpoints are connected to a variety of USB based 2.5GbE and 5GbE NICs, as well as a couple of Macs with TB3 based 10GbE NICs. The RJ45 runs are < 30m and are connected to a ICX-6610 switch. In order to get > 1GbE over...
  3. H

Samsung 983 DCT 1.9TB - how good of a deal for $200?

Someone's offering the 983 DCT 1.9TB for $200. The drive has 39TB written and I saw from the specs it has a 5 year/2800 TBW warranty. The firmware is EDA5202Q. The use case is adding storage to my ESXi homelab (currently it has a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo) Is this a good deal? I'm aware that the...
  4. H

50 GbE ConnectX-4 LX for $159

I’ve been searching for CX-4 LX cards - CX3 cards will work in ESXi 6.7 or 7.0 but won’t do SR-IOV. And CX-4 dual cards are expensive + twice the wattage compared to CX-4 LX. I found this one on eBay for $159. It’s from someone I’ve purchased before and actually known on STH for HP CX3 cards...
  5. H

PoE and 36 AWG patch cables ?

I have a network rack where I use Cat 6 36AWG patch cables from Monoprice: Micro SlimRun Patch Cable. The run from the patch panel to the switch is 2 feet. Monoprice specs these cables at < 87.6 ohm/km, I've seen some 26 AWG cables at 90 ohm/km Would these cables be safe for PoE? I have 3 *...
  6. H

[Amazon] 10Gbase-T Copper SFP for $40 with 5% off

Amazon is offering the Ipolex 10G SFP+ module (https://www.amazon.com/ipolex-10GBase-T-Transceiver-SFP-10G-T-S-Supermicro/dp/B01M5LIUK5/ ) for $41 with a 5% discount, taking it to $39. I have one of these on my ICX-6610 and it will do 10 GbE over Cat5E if it's a short run. Note that the 5%...
  7. H

Tyan S8030GM2NE

(UPDATE: see below on FAN control) (UPDATE#2: see section on GPU passthrough) (UPDATE#3: SlimSAS 8i to 2 * U.2 cable now available from Tyan) I've started on my home-lab, hyperconverged build to replace my old NAS server, gaming PC and workstation. I decided to go AMD and initially go for Ryzen...
  8. H

ESXi 7.0: 983 DCT or 970 EVO Plus? Or then what is a good NVMe SSD for homelab?

I have a Tyan S8030 motherboard with 2 NVMe 22110 slots that I will be using for an ESXi 7.0 homelab. I was thinking of putting a NVMe drive for the ESXi 7.0 boot partition + one of the data stores. Would the 970 Evo Plus 1TB be a good idea? Or would it be better to put something like a 983 DCT...
  9. H

CX3 with ESXi 7 & Windows Server 2019

The ConnectX-3 is EOS (end of support) since the beginning of 2020. Has anyone gotten it working with ESXi or Windows Server 2019 in Ethernet mode? I read on the VMware forums that people got it working on ESXi 6.7 with drivers from 6.5. I’m wondering if the same is possible with ESXi 7.0 -...
  10. H

Cheap 16-core build with IPMI: what's possible currently?

Trying to build a modern (TRX40, x570, PCIe 4.0 etc) 16-core rackmounted server for my home lab and network and would welcome input. The setup would run ESXi and/or Hyper-V & Storage Spaces, several Linux VMs - the bonus being if it is able to run a Windows 10 VM with a GPU for passthrough (to...
  11. H

Supermicro PCI Slot clip

I have a used Supermicro CSE-512 chassis that I got off ebay and I am using it with an add-in PCIe card on a riser. The back of the card should have a PCI Slot clip - to keep the card from moving. I cannot seem to find a spare for this anywhere - anyone know what this part P/N is?