Search results

1. altano

[WTB] Rack Road Case

I'm having trouble finding a rack road case for sale that meets the very basic requirements of being: * 5U+ * 10.5"+ deep * Shock-proofed a little (foam, rubber, whatever) * Not on casters * Less than $500 Anyone have a road case lying around they want to sell? All my equipment is 1U so I'd...
  2. altano

Moving a rack?

Does anyone have any advice on how to transport a server rack hundreds of miles in normal house move? I'm going to take all the hard drives out and put them in road cases and move those in my car, but what about the servers? I'm going to have movers but I obviously don't trust them to pack these...
  3. altano

[Bay Area] COVID-19 Hardware Support

If you're stuck at home in the Bay Area, relying on your home lab more than ever, and you have a hardware emergency, post what you need here. Maybe someone (like me) can help you out. I recognize this is a weird thread to start, but I figure it is worth it if a single person can make use of it...
  4. altano

GPU Rackmount Chassis Suggestions?

I'm speccing out a VM server that's going to have a few GPUs. I was thinking an ASRock EPYCD8-2T, an Epyc 7452, and some GPUs I have lying around (currently a MSI RTX 2080, Quadro P400, and a Quadro P2000). Anyone have any recommendations for a case? I don't need ANY drive bays so it can be...
  5. altano

PSA: Mysteriously hardware-sensitive M11SDV-8C-LN4F

I struggled getting my M11SDV-8C-LN4F (Supermicro Epyc 3251 motherboard) stable for several months. Every ~2 weeks the M.2 SSD (and in fact the entire PCI slot) would just disappear from the system. Resetting the system from IPMI would not correct the problem. lspci -v would just stop reporting...
  6. altano

ZFS GUI? (request for comments)

Over the years I've used all sorts of hard-drive pool management tools and file systems like Drive Bender and Windows Storage Spaces. My current home pool now runs on ZFS and the one thing that feels lacking is a solid, usable GUI for pool management. When starting out with ZFS I evaluated...
  7. altano

What is this SSD?

Anyone have any experience with these "Toshiba/HP" SSDs? I bought this off eBay, labeled as "HP / Toshiba XG5-P 2TB": Is it a Toshiba SSD or an HPE SSD? What's with the two serial #s? I tried to check the warranty but Toshiba won't accept the left serial number and HPE won't accept the...
  8. altano

Napp-it web gui issues

I rebooted my OmniOS server (to change the drive configuration) and now napp-it is misbehaving. I wasn't able to access the https site on port 82 at all but the port 81 http site allowed me to get to get to the login screen but had this error: "admin.pl 1069: background taskserver is not running...
  9. altano

X10SDV-7TP4F (best all-in-one server board out there)

I am selling a used X10SDV-7TP4F Supermicro board. $900 $800 shipped (US, will ship internationally if you pay for it). Board specs: CPU: Intel Xeon D-1537 Broadwell-DE (8-core/16-thread) Network: 2-port embedded 10GbE (SFP+) + 2-port embedded 1GbE (Copper) + 1GbE OOB/IPMI TDP: 35W Storage...
  10. altano

20-pin ATX + Supermicro PJ1 port?

Hey Everyone, The new Epyc Supermicro boards come with this weird power setup: they have both an 8-pin CPU plug and a weird, proprietary-looking port (PJ1) that comes with an ATX adapter (CBL-PWEX-1063). I believe the Xeon D-2100 boards have the same setup: The manual says: Question: Can I...
  11. altano

Epyc 3251 thermal paste replacement

I'm having a lot of trouble passively cooling my Epyc 3251 CPU on the M11SDV-8C-LN4F in a 2U case. I'm even ducting a fan to the heatsink and it's not enough: the CPU hits 90 degrees under full load and I have to abort the test. I thought I would try replacing the thermal paste on the CPU (since...
  12. altano

Permanently removing fans from SuperMicro board?

I'm trying to permanently remove some fans from my SuperMicro board but it's being detected as a fan failure with the fans spinning at 0 RPMs insead of just detecting that no fans are present. To be clear, nothing is plugged into the fan headers anymore. This is what my sensor readings look...
  13. altano

SuperMicro’s Epyc 3000 boards now on sale

For anyone waiting on the Epyc 3000 line to have an actual board for sale: you can stop holding your breath because WiredZone is now drop-shipping some of the new SuperMicro board models, e.g. the M11SDV-8C-LN4F (Epyc 3251): Supermicro M11SDV-8C-LN4F Single Processor It’s $704 before tax and...
  14. altano

Plenty of rack space: quiet chassis?

I'm building a machine around a mini-ITX motherboard. I have plenty of rack space so what's a good option to keep things quiet? The only thing I'll be plugging into it is a single PCI-E card so I have almost no requirements. I could do this: * 2U Chassis: Rosewill RSV-Z2600 * Basic silent fan...
  15. altano

Supermicro HTML5 IPMI - Change password?

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the IPMI password on a Supermicro board through the HTML5 client, or is this something I still require the Java app for?
  16. altano

Inexplicable CPU underclocking: help!

My Xeon-D has begun underclocking under medium use and I can't figure out why. What I did: I replaced the stock heatsink on my Xeon-D 1537 with the Cooljag BUF-E as per this thread. Note that I used the stock screws so I didn't even replace the backplate. The replacement was surgical and I...
  17. altano

Short GPU for VMWare passthrough?

I'm creating a VMWare VM that will do basic tasks while streaming the VM to my friends so I'm on the market for a GPU that will fit these requirements: Can be passed-through to a VM in VMWare ESXi Can play 1080p video or extremely basic, low-resolution games like Myst, Minecraft, and To The...
  18. altano

FS: PC Case and some components (20 hard drive storage server)

==== SOLD! ==== Selling my Lian-Li PC-D8000 PC case (which holds 20 3.5" drives) for $400. More pictures: Lian-Li PC-D8000 Have you always wanted to have a 20 hard drive storage server without investing in a huge, loud server rack? Well this is for you! I'm selling my beloved Lian-Li D8000...
  19. altano

WTB: SAS cables in Bay Area

I need to buy 5 x SFF-8643 Male -> SFF-8087 Male SAS cables, the sort of thing I'd normally grab from eBay, but this time I'd like to buy them ASAP. (1) Any of you have some of these for sale and live in the Bay Area so I could pick them up ASAP? (2) Or, do any of you live in the Bay Area and...
  20. altano

Finding my ZFS bottleneck

Sequential read speeds on my ZFS pool (4 vdevs, each a 2 x 6TB mirror) are not where I'd like them to be, at 80 - 130MB/S when moving large files around. My two main use cases for the pool are hosting VMs and moving large video files around. The VMs are performing fine but I'd like faster video...