Search results

1. AveryFreeman

CrossPost: Domain authentication broken when primary domain controller working alone

Hi This is a cross-post -- it crosses two different platforms I was having issues logging into my file server using Windows desktop over 2012r2 IDMU domain. Not sure which platform is having the issue, but I think it's the Windows desktop so I was hoping some Windows people could look at this...
  2. AveryFreeman

Linux accesses OmniOS share as appropriate domain user, Windows does not?!

Hi [edit: I 'solved' this, it's not solved but it's working again - the secondary domain controller was turned off. However, that doesn't account for why the primary domain controller can't authenticate users properly by itself] I've got the weirdest issue that just cropped up and I have no...
  3. AveryFreeman

OmniOS Napp-it server slow after update to r151034

Hi, I've had a napp-it server since r151028 which I installed via the ova about two years ago I just updated it to r151034 and now napp-it is very slow to load, refresh, etc. I also just updated napp-it to 19.12b10 Is there anything I can do to increase its responsiveness? It's...
  4. AveryFreeman

Supermicro SC836 wouldn't turn on - power distributor (?)

Hey, so I noticed I couldn't turn on my server (which almost never gets turned off/unpluged) in an SC836 case, but the few times I have turned it off / unplugged it for servicing, sometimes it has trouble turning back on and I couldn't really explain why ... All the cables would be connected...
  5. AveryFreeman

nss_ad in OmniOSCE r151030?

Hello I'm trying to find the best way to join my OmniOS server to my AD domain network I came across this Oracle page and I was wondering if anything similar exists for OmniOS r151030, etc.? Overview of the nss_ad Naming Service Module - Oracle Solaris Administration: Naming and Directory...
  6. AveryFreeman

Why does OmniOS SMB shares appear to require NIS arg in nsswitch.conf ?

Hi, Not sure if this is a bug, but I was adjusting my nsswitch.conf in OmniOS installation from: passwd: files nis ad group: files nis ad to: passwd: files ad group: files ad because I couldn't edit local users' passwords as root - received error: user is in use (even though user...
  7. AveryFreeman

PLEASE DELETE: OmniOS: 'zpool set autoexpand=on poolname' not working

Hey, I'm running: SunOS napp-it01 5.11 omnios-r151030-1b80ce3d31 i86pc i386 i86pc illumos Have two z-mirror pools, four 2TB drives each pool, want to replace all 2TB drives with 4TB drives I just ordered. Should be here in a few days, so I'm trying to prepare for when they arrive. I can see...
  8. AveryFreeman

OmniOS: Does OmniOS have man pages?

Hi Looking for man pages in OmniOS is less than satisfying. Is there some kind of pkg base I'm missing in my install? root@napp-it01:~# man sharectl No manual entry for sharectl Boo. There's all these commands I don't recognize because I have basically no experience with Solaris. Man...
  9. AveryFreeman

OmniOS: New smbclient test package - how to run?

Hey, was just reading over the release notes for OmniOS 151030: omniosorg/omnios-build and saw this package: system/test/smbclient New 0.5.11 I installed it, but I can't figure out how it's invoked, does anybody know? Thanks :)
  10. AveryFreeman

Napp-It: Active Directory tab totally blank in 18.12 OmniOS 151030

Hey, Just upgraded to 151030 and noticed this message: I also keep getting stuff like this: smbd: smb_domain_getinfo: no DC info My 'Active Directory' tab leads to a completely blank menu where I can't configure anything I also just upgraded to Napp-It 18.12 Not sure which upgrade to...
  11. AveryFreeman

pkgsrc - keep dependencies separate

Dear OmniOS users, I'm wondering how feasible it would be for me to install pkgsrc and keep all its dependencies separate in OmniOS 151030? I keep finding myself needing packages that are not available in the omniosce repos. pkgsrc installs all its own dependencies into /opt/local Is there a...
  12. AveryFreeman

Shout out to OmniOS / IllumOS platform

Hey all, Just wanted to mention how much I love the IllumOS platform since I changed file server OS last Aug. I still use FreeBSD and Linux (primarily Ubuntu or CentOS) for software support every now and then, in a couple instances I use NFS shares from OmniOS to other OS and mount using fstab...
  13. AveryFreeman

Should I use open-vm-tools instead of vmware-tools solaris?

Hi, Here's what I'm using: root@napp-it01:~# cat /etc/release OmniOS v11 r151028r Copyright 2017 OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright 2017-2019 OmniOS...
  14. AveryFreeman

Is there an easy way to monitor HDD temps in Napp-It?

Hey, Just wondering if I'm missing HDD temperature in a menu somewhere or something... I'm pretty unfamiliar with how Solarish OS file hierarchy is organized - I *think* I got smartctl data on CLI from /devices/scsi_vhci - after checking /dev, /dev/dsk, etc. Anyway, would be nice to monitor...
  15. AveryFreeman

Good source for quiet replacement fans for enterprise network switches?

Hey, so I have purchased a few old enterprise switches, they have a great feature to price ratio and can be had for next to nothing. Unfortunately they are to loud for most people to be used in office settings where the switch is in the same room as workstations, etc. I have a D-Link DGS-3427...
  16. AveryFreeman

Anyone ever used Dell Force10 S55t-AC switch (or similar)? Any good?

Hey, So I have a similar switch, a D-Link DGS-3427, which is a 24-port gigabit switch with a 10G backbone (I have two CX4 expanders currently). I really like it but I can't help there might be some nicer stuff out there that could be had cheap. Has anyone worked with the Dell Force10 network...
  17. AveryFreeman

Anyone know where to get Supermicro AOC-STG-I2 CX-4 10GbE full-height brackets?

Hey, I just bought a second AOC-STG-I2 for my VMWare lab - one of the few old (read: cheap) 10GbE cards still properly supported by ESXi. I'm pretty excited about it, but it's got a half-height bracket and I have a full-height slot. Does anyone know where I might get a full-height bracket...
  18. AveryFreeman

What BIOS options are available for supermicro X10SDV? (Xeon D?)

Hey, I'm just wondering if someone can tell me who owns one of these boards what kind of BIOS options there are, specifically: I'm wondering if I can clock the ram to 2666Mhz (I have ram that speed and it'd be a shame to have it limited to 2133Mhz) Along the same lines, are there any options...
  19. AveryFreeman

Crap iperf3 performance in OmniOS?

Hey, so I just set up vmxnet3 drivers in OmniOS new install, 151028b on ESXi 6.7U1. Went to test throughput to see what the difference between the E1000 and vmxnet3 drivers were like, so I fired up iperf3 on pfsense as a server, and sent the most basic test from the OmniOS VM as a client...
  20. AveryFreeman

Public Service Announcement OmniOS VMXNET3

Public Service Announcement: I had issues keeping my vmxnet3 driver persistent after reboot when following this guide with OmniOS: VMware Knowledge Base It seems official since it's from VMWare, but it's for Solaris and I think it's just different enough that it matters. If you use #...