Search results

1. D

Any drive-imaging system that allows easy access to image contents?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Lots of great options to consider. I had in fact not seen this. Looks perfect for my needs, given I've already got a bunch of previous images stored. Much thanks!
  2. D

Oh, nice! That sounds ideal... I'll give it a look! I assume it's relatively straightforward to set it up to do simple, offline drive images? Is there a documentation resource I could read through to get an idea what I need/don't need before starting? (Oh, and can this be used to image an...
  3. D

Thanks. Looks expensive though... should have specified - this is just for personal use, so can't stretch to enterprise-level prices. Any open-source or home-use-level packages offer this sort of functionality?
  4. D

Hi all, not sure if this is the best subforum for this. In the past, I've used Clonezilla to make drive backup images, and it works great for fully restoring drives. What I'd like however, is that functionality, but with the possibility to read-only-access the contents of those image files...
  5. D

A few zfs questions for a rebuild...

Thanks, just wanted to update incase anyone else is messing with this stuff. Because the 10GbE NICs are all direct-links without a hub, I ended up disabling Flow Control and Interrupt Moderation entirely... and combined with 9k Jumbo Frames, sync writes disabled, and the upgrade to SMB 2.1, I...
  6. D

Right, worked out the laptop thing... incase anyone else is looking for the information - apparently it's an additional security thing they introduced alongside deprecating SMB 1.0... they also denied guest accounts access to 2.1 shares and below. The Group Policy setting is at: Computer...
  7. D

Urgh... seems Windows is being its usual strange self. I mapped a different drive to the share over the 1GbE link, and it shows that as "Dialect 2.1". Seems there's some stale information attached to the 10GbE adapter that I'm struggling to get rid of. This is all on an older version of...
  8. D

Hmm, well I've done my rebuild, using OmniOS r151030 and napp-it 18.12w. All is well, except for some glaring network issues: For some reason, my 10GbE adapter seems to have blistering fast speeds reading from the server, but the write speeds have dropped to about half of a 1GbE connection...
  9. D

Neat, good to know. Well, I think that covers everything (and saves me some unnecessary expenditure :-)) Thanks again for all your help and work!
  10. D

Will a pool auto-balance if extra mirror's are added in later on?
  11. D

Many thanks as ever gea! When you say "a fast pool layout" - I've been running 12 disks as 6 mirror pairs striped. I presume that's the best layout I can use for performance while maintaining redundancy? Also, just to double-check - the way to set up a stripe-of-mirror-pairs is to create a...
  12. D

Hey all, I'm about to do a clean wipe and rebuild of my home-office server, after a solid 5 years running OmniOS/napp-it. It's been a mostly-great experience - except for a recurring issue where the SMB server would lock the CPU into a 100%-thrashing-85+degree-overheating state while the...
  13. D

Abort replacement/resilver in Napp-It?

Hmm, well I ended up letting the resilver complete - no new reallocated sectors, but it did end up with a small count in the current-pending and uncorrectable fields. Otherwise it seemed to be working okay. I've replaced the drive with the other HGST now (same model number, bought at the same...
  14. D

Huh, oddly, it seems to have "settled down" - the reallocated sectors have capped out at 405, and the estimated resilver time has dropped to ~8 hours. Now I'm not sure whether to just stick it out, or to get it out and try for a warranty replacement. Anyone have any experience with drives...
  15. D

I just pulled a dropped disk from my OmniOS/Napp-It server, and replaced it with a fresh-from-the-box HGST. I set it to replace the old drive, and the resilver commenced... I immediately noticed the new drive to be noticably louder than the rest, and the resilver seemed to be going painfully...
  16. D

Long distance, high-bandwidth file transfer

Hi all, Not sure the best place to ask about this, but in the past I've found the STH community to be extremely knowledgable and helpful. I'm residing in Mexico for a while, and have a server and rendering rack set up back in the UK. Back there, I have a 200-down, 20-up fibre-optic connection...
  17. D

Sector counts for replacing ZFS disk with different model

Just wanted to say thanks again. I got the replacement Deskstar NAS drives through - they were indeed byte-exact matches for the Seagate drives, and the swap and resilver went through without a hitch. Back up and running!
  18. D

Fantastic, many thanks for the detailed response! Turns out, "5860533168" was the magic Google search term I needed... turned up a review of the HGST that quotes the exact same number, and reference to the Seagate stating it too. Very useful info to know!
  19. D

My OmniOS/napp-it server has dropped a drive (and looks like a second is on the way out, reallocated sector count appears to be rising), and like an idiot, I never ordered up any spares when I set the thing up - they're currently all Seagate Constellation CS 3TB disks, but that disk is EOL, and...
  20. D

Different RAM capacities on different channels

It seems rather strange that they won't acknowledge the possibility of different sizes, even in separate banks, but they gladly advocate and support installing 6 matched DIMMS in a quad channel motherboard. I would have thought having quad interleaving on one bank and dual interleaving on the...