Search results

1. C

3D-Printable Front fan mount for HP Z4 G4 Workstation

Thought I'd post a link to an HP Z4 G4 workstation front fan model here. I was surprised how nice it turned out: Github - hp-z4-front-fan-mount
  2. C

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Yes,just tried iperf3 and got ~940. Using linux 5.19.14. [ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.10 GBytes 942 Mbits/sec 0 sender [ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.10 GBytes 941 Mbits/sec receiver
  3. C

I updated already. Dowload again.
  4. C

Attached. 5.19 / 1.17.0. Opps, need to go superuser - updated.
  5. C

There are now rtl8125b a+e m.2 cards on eBay (and others). Various vendors. Look very similar to older realtek 8111 cards. Like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-2-A-E-2-5G-Ethernet-Adapter-2-5G-1G-100M-Multi-Gigabit-M-2-Network-Card-8125R2/134188279735 I haven't tried, but they would seem promising.
  6. C

I used a non-dell secondary realtek ethernet and I found that I needed to install the Official Realtek drivers (realtek-re-kmod) in pfsense to get 2 realtek ethernets working. Had problems similar to what you describe (one working, other not DHCP'ing). The driver is in the repo for 2.6, but...
  7. C

As someone posted earlier, the work around is to take a standard brass motherboard standoff and grind it down to ~4mm. Works great and can be done very quick.
  8. C

Unable to change partition type to Linux RAID

/dev/nvme0n1 is the disk /dev/nvme0n1p1 is the it's first partition Do a: sudo fdisk -l /dev/nvme0n1 It's not really clear what you wanted (or what you got). You probably want a GPT label (in 2022), and a raid partition as @oneplane suggested. There shouldn't be a problem with GPT. After...
  9. C

That looks like the Winyao/DF-robot M.2 NIC I got. If so, I've been using this for about 4 months with pfsense, after using a Commell intel NIC for about a year. I put my 3D-printed adapter up on github and thingiverse (models for either NIC)...
  10. C

If you think its an SMBus problem, you might try the dell perc masking fix... You can google/YouTube/etc. ... The fix looks like this: http://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html
  11. C

I saw someone selling the 2nd ethernet port adapters for $19 + $5 shipping on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325159228559?hash=item4bb500148f:g:80sAAOSw8dJiYvLh It looks like the right part. There's a vendor that has been auctioning off a trove of Wyse 5070 slims (w/o adapters and stands)...
  12. C

Dell now has refurbs on their outlet site. I haven't seen any extended, but the slims in various configs go for ~$100 with 3 year warranty. Not really hot in terms of price, but no reason to pay more elsewhere...
  13. C

What's a decent modern PCIe or USB wireless access point card?

I couldn't get the Intel m.2 cards to work as a host adapter in AC mode only G, etc. Driver support. I don't know about the AX ones, but I would check before ordering. I ended up going with a Qualcomm m.2 card (search ebay - qca6174a,qcnfa364a,qcnfa344a) - real cheap as they're people's laptop...
  14. C

You might be able to do a secure wipe of all disks right from the BIOS to clean the partitions off the machine. I think it is down toward the bottom of all the options, maybe under Maintenance or something like that.
  15. C

Don't have an extended 5070, but I do have a WX2100 (and even a W2100 - older, slower, but same size) and a slim 5070, so I took a couple of pictures so you can judge the fit.
  16. C

Misterious memory error (5+1 beep)

Did you try covering pins b5 and b6 on the h310? Its a common problem, that some bios detect as a memory error.
  17. C

Compilation server

For me, it's just looking at the higher core counts and Passmark scores available with the v3 and v4 processors. There were some v3 e5's that took DDR3, but they were few and far between. The scores are here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php#multi-cpu I can't seem to get a direct link...
  18. C

Compilation server

Yeah, I take back the v2 suggestion. Would definitely go v3/v4 especially after looking at core count availability.
  19. C

Compilation server

An older HP z820 with a couple of E5 v2 and as many cores/threads as you can get might be a good option. Maxing the core/thread count is much more important then the CPU speed itself. You indicate C++, so might I suggest an NVME disk in addition to the ssd, to hold the compilation cache...
  20. C

They also make a A+E -> M key adapter that holds a 80mm NVME SSD perpendicular w/o power supply. The 80mm length holder looks kind of arbitrary, so you might be able to 3-d print a shorter replacement and close the case. Plenty of short M-key NVME...