Search results

1. K

Layer 3 Switch w/ PFSense

Get a CCNA (or equivalent) certification?
  2. K

You need to change the Destination in this rule to "any"
  3. K

Well, I'm glad I could be of help! :)
  4. K

Firmware I can install on LSI 9207-8e that will allow spindown to pass from windows? (Solved)

1. Never test with a 1m sleep timeout. Try 5m. 2. Yup. Something's keeping them awake. Time to start debugging and disabling things until you find the culprit. Process of elimination. The usual culprits are Windows Defender, SMART, having a swap file on that drive, etc.
  5. K

Firmware I can install on LSI 9207-8e that will allow spindown to pass from windows? (Solved)

There's no firmware mods/update required for spin down to work. You should update to the latest firmware for your card as such, but not for the stated reasons. It's a simple Registry mod, but you need to know the PCI codes and GUID for the driver in your install...
  6. K

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Do a "sh run" and paste the output.
  7. K

That's...weird. Routes ARE default ON for VLANs in the 6610, I've never seen it not be on by default. A few suggestions/things to try, possibly? - Instead of VLAN1, move that device to a different VLAN, eliminating any "default VLAN" issues. Test - Factory reset the 6610 and try again? -...
  8. K

Check if your devices (I'm looking at you....Windows....) have firewall/policy/rules preventing a ping response?
  9. K

Basic help / step by step to convert home network to L3 / vlan routing

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/layer-3-switch-w-pfsense.23236/post-216621
  10. K

Brocade, how to test if L3 is working?

Setting static IPs is invasive??
  11. K

Brocade, how to test if L3 is working?

Turn off router, if need be, give them static IPs/DNS, use iperf (or whatever) between two machines.
  12. K

Hardware to run pfsense ?

That Gigabyte motherboard + CPU was ~$35. I already had the RAM and Mellanox card, which I estimate ~25-30. So, yeah, around $60.
  13. K

Nothing special, other than some creative engineering to pack 3x systems in a 1U chassis... :) - At the top are two Gigabyte B75TN thin mini motherboards. These motherboards can take direct 12v in. The one on the left is my pfsense box with 8GB RAM (all I had in SO-DIMMs) with an i5-3570s, and...
  14. K

Deals/FS/WTB new members should not be able to post new threads

There's a simple answer... There's more to life than STH. :) Get a hobby (other than STH).
  15. K

I didn't realize we were trying to prevent State level actors from getting into your network. If that's the case, ESXi or pfSense is the least of your worries. My apologies, I was gonna write "managed switch" without the L3 part, but somehow ended up writing that. Probably because L3 routing at...
  16. K

1. If I had to let any OS connect directly to the internet, ESXI would be one of the few I'll allow. It is hardened, secure, very low attack footprint, and by default, does almost nothing until you tell it to. 2. This is the kind of situation where a managed L3 switch comes in handy. You...
  17. K

Your original post says "pfSense hardware". Are you doing "SSL/TLS inspection - decrypt/packet inspection/re-encrypt" with pfSense? p.s. The CPU in my $60 hardware is an i5-3570s, a 3.1GHz 4C/4T CPU. Way more than enough. I've yet to see it above 30% usage with a number of things (including 1gb...
  18. K

Maybe I'm missing something... I can do any pfSense package you can think of with symmetric gigabit routing, and a tiny system at that, with < $60 worth of hardware. Is it fanless? Nope. So what? It (among other things in my rack) sits in a corner of my basement, away from anything else. Why...
  19. K

question about some raid cards

What you should be looking for is...."What IS a raid card?" Sorry, no other way to say it.