Search results

1. E

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

Thanks for the findings and information. That's certainly disheartening. The price and warranty for these refurbished was hard to pass up, but I can understand now why they're priced how they are. I'll have to figure something else out.
  2. E

I connected the disk to the board in the Easystore enclosure, but the system wouldn't see the drives for me.
  3. E

smartctl -a /dev/sdr: smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [x86_64-linux-5.10.131+truenas] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org === START OF INFORMATION SECTION === Model Family: HGST Ultrastar He10 Device Model: HGST HUH721010ALN600 Serial...
  4. E

Any wisdom or guidance on formatting a 4kn SATA drive to 512? I have 4x HGST HUH721010ALN600 10TB SATA 4Kn drives (from GoHardDrive on ebay), and am struggling to get them formatted to 512. I've tried the WD HUGO tool, sg utils, hdparm, and none have been successful, all failing. I need these...
  5. E

Micron P400m - 520 byte to 512 byte - firmware lock?

Were you able to find the firmware? I too am in need of it.
  6. E

Gigabyte R180-F34 1U Server (2011-3) $94-109 + Shipping

I had 4 of these but just sold them to upgrade, so I can't speak on power draw. I had an E5-2640v3, 192GB RAM, all drive bays filled, and 10GbE in each, so my idle reading would not be comparable to how you're configuring yours. I ran each of them with single CPUs without issues. You lose one...
  7. E

Flashing LSI 3008 RAID controller back to IR mode from IT mode?

I purchased a 4-node Supermicro server that has a BPN-ADP-8S3008-1UF RAID card in each node. This was purchased being lead to believe that they were in IR mode, but I receive them in IT mode. IT mode is fine for 3 of the servers, as I'm using those in a vSAN cluster, but I was just going to...
  8. E

Supermicro onboard LSI3008 from IR to IT mode

Resurrecting the dead here... I have a new 4-node server chassis that has BPN-ADP-8S3008-1UF RAID controllers in them. However, they've been flashed to IT mode already. That's ok for 3 of the nodes, as I'm going to run them in vSAN, but the 4th node needs RAID capabilities. I'm trying to...
  9. E

[FS] Lots of 32GB ECC DDR4 RAM, Haswell Xeons, Cisco UCS Hardware

Located in Middle Tennessee, USA. I'll accept PayPal G&S, (or F&F and Cashapp if local). Prices below are shipped to the lower-48 states. I will consider shipping internationally depending on quantity. I WILL NOT ship the UCS chassis, but will considering shipping the blades. Shipping not...
  10. E

[deleted]

[deleted]
  11. E

I got my 2.54mm 4-pin SATA power cables in the other day. I had to swap the red and yellow wires, but they work perfectly for my boot disk. I damaged one of them, so I had to order another. At least 3 out of 4 servers are setup correctly, but they all work for now.
  12. E

1 of the 4 of mine came with the inner rails. I was pissed when I saw that, knowing that they just threw the outer ones away or left them in the racks they came from. Such a damn shame... So wasteful. Someone correct me here, but SATADOMs won't work unless you power them from somewhere else...
  13. E

I I got mine with the caddies for $70 each. That's the lowest they'd go. They've since removed the caddies, lowered the price by $10, and increased shipping by $5, so I'm not sure what the lowest they'll take now. I'd shoot for $55 a piece since they raised shipping for no reason.
  14. E

The holes aren't the problem. It's the rails themselves. They are designed for a shallow depth server it appears. The roller guides in the outer rail is also not of great quality compared to the Cisco and Dell rails I'm used to.
  15. E

So I ordered these. I cut the round tabs off the server, drilled holes in the rails, but was unable to get them to work. After fiddling with it for about 30 minutes, I realized I broke the guide with the bearings in it. It takes a miracle to get them aligned. If anyone wants to try to get them...
  16. E

I got an E5-2640v3 in each server. I was bothered by the lower clock speed of the L CPUs and wanted to keep power consumption, heat, and noise down, so I opted for the single 2640. Luckily, I'm only planning on using SATA drives, but it would've been nice to use my 3.8TB SAS SSDs too, but I've...
  17. E

I've tried SAS SSDs and SAS HDD's... None of them work with the onboard controller. That's a major bummer. I only have plans for a single CPU in these, but occupy both available PCI slots for CPU0 with NVMe and 10GbE... I guess I have to just not use SAS drives, or spend the money and power...
  18. E

The one SAS SSD I tried wasn't recognized either. I'll throw a spinning SAS drive in there later and see if I can't get it to show up too.