Search results

1. Z

ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T AMD Ryzen Server in mITX

AMD Chipset slides pointed out that only X series Chipsets allowed for bifurcation to 8x/8x, while the B and A series are 16x only. I don't recall a single time that AMD said that consumer Ryzen can do 4x/4x/4x/4x, albeit I know that the silicon can do it. Getting the Chipset involved is like...
  2. Z

ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T AMD Ryzen Server in mITX

The most interesing thing is 4x/4x/4x/4x bifurcation, which means that Matisse supports it and that there is no reason for not having it in other Motherboards. I do agree that it seems extremely niche. ITX is too small for this. SODIMM, nonstandard heatsink, the freezes due to Chipset...
  3. Z

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T Review an ATX AMD EPYC Platform

Sound Cards and most USB Cards doesn't need a full fledged 16x PCIe 4.0 slot, they would do roughly the same on 1x PCIe 3.0, so I wouldn't even count them. And usually you can get by with USB Sound Cards or USB Hubs. Multiple SAS Controllers or NICs with multiple Ports, or a multitude of...
  4. Z

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T Review an ATX AMD EPYC Platform

As much as I love the Motherboard, I'm not convinced on doing 7 16x PCIe Slots on ATX because for anything that involves GPUs, you usually have Dual Slot cooling solutions, and that means that only 4 slots are actually usable, as the coolers doesn't allow you height to actually plug something...
  5. Z

NVMe - make the most of your PCI-e Slots (How-to config Supermicro boards for AOC-SLG3-2E4T et al)

No, cause you need a OCuLink Port that comes from a configurable controller that can selectively output either PCIe and SATA on the same pins, which that card doesn't has, as it seems to be based around a standard PCIe Switch (It has a heatsink covering it). Also, if your Motherboard supports...
  6. Z

Epyc 3000 platforms beyond mini-ITX

I'm not a fan of those mITX designs where the Socket is almost as big as the Motherboard itself. AsRock already has experience doing things like that since the days of the X99E-ITX/ac, but I think that it is stupid and wasteful to design for platforms intended to have plenty of expansion options...
  7. Z

Epyc 3000 platforms beyond mini-ITX

Where? Where? WHERE??? You can't drop a bomb like that without link to the source. Now I have to stalk that poor guy until I find that post myself.
  8. Z

AMD Threadripper Pro is a Workstation EPYC or WEPYC

I'm curious whenever these TR Pro are pinout compatible with standard Socket SP3, albeit I'm aware than no current Motherboard should be validated for their 280W TDP so I'm not expecting them to work properly in those. If anything, I'm more curious about Workstation level Motherboards feature...
  9. Z

AMD Threadripper Pro is a Workstation EPYC or WEPYC

Do you have data about price on those? They seem to be able to completely obliterate the single socket EPYC P series. Also, do they actually use a Chipset or are they pure SoC like standard SP3 EPYCs? Are there new Workstation type Motherboards, or do they use standard SP3 ones? I'm particularly...
  10. Z

WD Red Plus Launched with CMR

Can someone explain me what is the rationale in that SMR, which is supposed to be slow but high density, is used for the bottom of the barrel low capacity HD models instead of for the high capacity archive ones? I mean, just see THIS photo...
  11. Z

Intel X710-AT2 and X710-TM4 Carlsville NICs

Actually, I was surprised that Patrick never replied on this Thread to make any comment about the card or whenever there was a review or something coming. I don't know if is common that Intel publishes its products Data Sheets months ahead NDA lifts, or if this launch was either too stealthy or...
  12. Z

Intel X710-AT2 and X710-TM4 Carlsville NICs

The recently announced AsRock Rack TRX40D8-2N2T has a builtin X710-AT2. I feel SOO LONELY in this Thread... :(
  13. Z

Threadripper or EPYC for a gentoo workstation?

Have you seen the recently announced AsRock Rack TRX40D8-2N2T? If you're going the TR route, consider it. I saw its specs and inmediately fell in love, it has almost everything in the right place.
  14. Z

Surreptitiously Swapping SMR into Hard Drives Must End

You are telling me that there are SMR based 2.5'' HDs in the 1 TB size under the WD Blue and Black branding? Just what the HELL are they smoking? I'm sure that you will see those horrible things rather often as the main storage of low end Notebooks aimed at clueless consumers that just buys...
  15. Z

Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Have you considered making an EFI executable out of it that you load from the ESP as part of a chain load? Basically, UEFI -> Boot Manager -> Your EFI application -> Whatever OS This would make it OS agnostic, at least for applying settings automatically a single time pre-boot then continuing...
  16. Z

AMD EPYC 3451 Benchmarks and Review A 16 Core Xeon D Competitor

It took you like, TWO YEARS, to said that part loud! I have been saying it since your first EPYC Embedded article, when I noticed just how much Socket AM4 crippled Zen builtin I/O. It is even absurd when you consider that right now you're getting Intel pushing 2.5G NICs as part of its next...
  17. Z

AMD EPYC 3000 Line Gets Updated Adding and Dropping Models

You mean it is happening? IT IS HAPPENING??!?1?!?!?1?!111 But do it with a Zen 2, please. How much of a difference there is between a normal part, and an industrial temperature range part, from a technical standpoint? I would assume that they are better binned, tested to be able to do a cold...
  18. Z

SuperMicro X11SCH-F - Bifurcation Support

Technically all LGA 1155/1150/1151 Processors should be able to do 8x/8x and 8x/4x/4x. Note that it falls under "Chipset controlled feature" (Usually only supported by Z series and highest end C series). Yet is rare to see manual bifurcation exposed, only in mITX Motherboards like these you see...
  19. Z

U.3 sounds great

Given the fact that NVMe is merely a protocol over PCIe, can these Controllers also be used as simpler PCIe Switches? I know that it is not their intended usage, but I'm curious whenever you could potentially hook a standard PCIe Card via adapters. Thus they can be Quad-Mode-Controllers!
  20. Z

Supermicro H11SSL-NC Rev 2 ATX AMD EPYC Motherboard

Did you enable in the Firmware PCIe ACS and AER? PCIe ACS is required for proper granularity of IOMMU Groups INCLUDING SR-IOV Virtual Functions.