Search results

1. V

ZFS AIO

Thanks for the info ! Where is your logging if using a USB for ESXI ?
  2. V

ZFS AIO

As far as I understand , the present installation of OmniOS 151024 (on ESXI 6,5) uses the LSI2008 via passthrough - what components would be in a more professional system which does not need passthrough of the HBA ? I noticed a "note" in ESXI under OmniOS VM->Edit settings: " Some virtual...
  3. V

esxi 6.0 home lab server/workstation - accessing vm

Much appreciated ! I downloaded from Google Drive - I wasn't entitled or do not have permissions from VMware. Is this free software generally only available via a Horizon free trial ?
  4. V

esxi 6.0 home lab server/workstation - accessing vm

Where can I find the free VMware-viewagent-direct-connection and VMware-viewagent ?
  5. V

ZFS AIO

OK, so I'll keep it for now. I'm not in the financial situation now to buy anything. So, I'll put server in cellar with -In pc: 1* 120GB DC S3500 for ESXI & ZFS (I wanted to put ESXI on stick but not sure how to handle log file and I need the SSD for ZFS anyway) -Connected to LSI2008 HBA : 2*...
  6. V

ZFS AIO

My "dream" was to use the AIO for storage and running VMs from cellar and have monitor in my room (home/learning setup). Due to inexperience and lack of understanding of ZFS/ESXI and other requirements I purchased hardware which is limited: -WYSE P45 PCoiP thin client to have in my room -Lenovo...
  7. V

newbie all-in-one basic ZFS storage / security questions

I udated the screen shots of disk,pool and filesystem above (something was wrong, they couldn't be viewed) I accessed ESXI via web browser and in Datastore browser only saw the datastore “esxiomnistore“ which is for OmniOS (and ESXI is on the same disk). I then added the datastore : “Mount...
  8. V

newbie all-in-one basic ZFS storage / security questions

I came back to play with the AIO and wanted to setup the filesystems as per gea's recommendations above but am a bit confused (again :)). I used to have a window 10 VM (I presume it is the 3.39GB used in SSDpool - see filesystems.png) but can't see it in ESXI and I don't know how to check this...
  9. V

newbie questions

gea, I've decided to get a Slog for the hdd pool (powerloss protection being the main reason , performance secondary) but without experience/full understanding there's still something unclear on what I should do about the SSD pool. Before my questions about that issue, I would like to know...
  10. V

Intel 82583V driver for ESXI

I'm playing around with a fanless i3/7100U 16GB mini pc with 6 82583V gigabit lan ports and wanted to install ESXI 6.5 but get the message "No network adapters" If I login and double check the controller via: lspci -v | grep "Class 0200" -B 1, it shows 6 82583V vmnics with Class 0200...
  11. V

newbie questions

Didn't quite understand this "You do not need an Slog for SSD only pools performancewise" - OK, so Slog is only for magnetics, what do you mean by "only pools performancewise" ? I unfortunately dived into the AIO build too quickly with too little knowledge and now see that I will quickly...
  12. V

need advice on home pfsense / cisco virtual wireless controller setup

I'm a newbie in this area, have a home/3 apartment scenario , got fed up of problems with off the shelf network gear and have purchased the following : - cisco AIR-CAP3502i-E-K9 (4 pieces / 1 per floor) - cisco SG 300-28 switch - fanless i3 7100U/16GB mini pc with 6 lan ports - have an ESXI...
  13. V

newbie questions

gea, It's a small AIO using a Lenovo TS140 server / no Optane technology. The server can have max 32GB memory but has only 20GB now. (1)OmniOS is given 3GB now. From what you said, I conclude it's wiser to focus on amount of memory for ZFS instead of adding an l2arc device. Should I...
  14. V

newbie questions

gea, I haven't gotten my head around ZIL/l2arc, so I dug around the old threads and found this: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/another-noob-questions-esxi-omni-nappit.8117/page-2 where you indicated "create a virtual disk on the local datastore and use for l2arc". As I'd like...
  15. V

newbie questions

A lot of this is new to me, so I may be doing something stupid :) I have an AIO with disks as per attached screenshot from napp-it: The disks should be setup as follows: 1 ssd local SATA disk for ESXI+OmniOS , the rest of the disks tied to OmniOS via a LSI2008: 2*1TB hdd's (mirror) - for backup...
  16. V

looking for 24 port fan-less cisco fast ethernet switch

a couple of years have passed and I'm in the same boat as uberguru then - any suggestions other than the cisco SG series or 3750G 24 port ebay/used (not fanless but not so power hungry - 41W) ? The switch will be used in a house/apartment situation with 4 access points, my "home lab", other home...
  17. V

OpenIndiana 2017.10

Here's a newbie question - if using your OI/napp-it aio /napp-in-one ova package (2017.04 GUI), what should my update strategy be for updating OI be ?- will you be creating these ova packages or should update OI according to new versions of OI and install napp-it afterwards and how often would...
  18. V

Napp-it ToGo VM - OpenIndiana 2017.04

Thanks, that did it - I now have 6.5.0 Update 1 (Build 6765664). The installation allowed me just to upgrade and the license was kept / expiration never.
  19. V

Napp-it ToGo VM - OpenIndiana 2017.04

I am using the free esxi and have 6.5.0a installed at the moment. I tried downloading a later version but upon checking on vmware webpage, I don't have the possibility of downloading anything newer (confirmed via vmware support via phone ;) ). What would you suggest would be the best thing to do ?