Search results

1. S

Intel E5-2640V4 matched pair - $110 shipped @ eBay

I'm not sure how you did that... Typical market prices for those three are more than $500 combined. The CPU is $140, the RAM is $200'ish, socket 2011-v3 motherboards are $250+. And, you got a CPU that's got a comparable Passmark score to a Ryzen 5600x with >2x the power consumption. For most...
  2. S

Intel E5-2640V4 matched pair - $110 shipped @ eBay

IMHO, a modern multicore consumer CPU + motherboard is probably a similar price to these really cheap "outdated" Xeon multicore processor + motherboard given the current motherboard pricing. The modern consumer CPU system has some sizeable advantages for most users. An "outdated" Xeon multicore...
  3. S

X10SRH-CF@$200+shipping, E5-2697A v4@89

You gotta pay to play on the 64GB LRDIMMs. Still $100 each doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.
  4. S

Am I getting scammed by seller on "not as described" eBay return shipping? Any eBay experts?

Could be, but I vaguely remember DeepDiscount doing the same thing for a return some years ago when I had to return something that was damaged.
  5. S

Am I getting scammed by seller on "not as described" eBay return shipping? Any eBay experts?

The seller finally responded and told me they're snail mailing me a label to use. I guess we're back in the late 90's. o_O
  6. S

Supermicro X10SRL-F

You almost want to buy a motherboard when it's cheap and keep it for a few years until the CPUs for it get cheap. My guess is a lot of the CPUs & RAM come from highly specialized hardware that have a generally useless motherboard outside of the specific chassis they were in and some places are...
  7. S

Supermicro X10SRL-F

The cheaper the processors and RAM get for the systems, the more the motherboards cost. The E5-2667 v4 at $60 is one heck of a nice CPU for the money. 64GB (4x16GB) of DDR4-2400 registered DIMMs can be had for under $100. I've seen some go for closer to $60.
  8. S

Looking for a 24i HBA that plays nice with ZFS

4 lanes of SAS3 is good for >4GB/sec. Some of the expanders can connect to SATA3 HDDs at 6gig speeds and still connect at 12gig on the back end. PCIe 3.0 x8 is good for about 6.4GB/sec. Old cheap cards have 8 ports of SAS3 and are PCIe 3.0 x8. 6GB/sec hardly seems slow even by today's standards.
  9. S

I don't use Facebook or have an account. This all sounds like too much work for less than $4. I thinking maybe I should just give them negative feedback and call it a day.
  10. S

Thanks for the tips / advice. How do I see the case history? If I view the return status there is no way to contact / escalate eBay. eBay tells me I need to ship it to them. Here's the email I got from eBay Here's what I see when I click "See return details" I did the "contact seller" and...
  11. S

I bought a movie (sorry, it's not directly STH related) on eBay that was not as described from blowitoutahere (large volume commercial seller). The listing says it's a Blu-ray. I got a DVD. I start the return process for item not as described. eBay tells me the seller is responsible for the...
  12. S

Cheap'ish, high'ish endurance ~4TB SSD that can saturate 10gig with sequential reads?

You guys are giving me some food for thought. I guess I will run my assumptions past the gurus on r/zfs and see if they think there's even a problem.
  13. S

Cheap'ish, high'ish endurance ~4TB SSD that can saturate 10gig with sequential reads?

The drives can rip a 100GB disc in ~1 hour. That's an average of ~26MB/sec. The peak is higher. Most my Blu-rays are not 100GB discs. FWIW, 25GB discs actually have higher data read rates from the drives. Ultimately, the writes to the SSD from the optical drives isn't my concern with SATA. The...
  14. S

The ZFS server is definitely not going to have several hundred TB of SSD storage. I don't have the sort of budget for that. It is going to have spinning drives composing the pool. Further, why would I want to knowingly and intentionally introduce file fragmentation into the pool that I can never...
  15. S

Background: I'm looking to build a media ingestion PC for ripping all my 1080p and "4K" blu-rays to get them online. Something like 10 UHD friendly optical drives in a single tower for ripping 10 discs in parallel. I plan to put the resulting files on another server utilizing ZFS (not built...
  16. S

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Except the CRS309 only started shipping after the release of the most recent firmware (2.10) and yet they're shipping a firmware (2.7) that's from 2+ years earlier. There's some intermediate firmware releases in there too that they ignored too.
  17. S

HP SAS Expander Wiki

My adventure was not so fun. A FreeDOS USB stick didn't work since the system I was using has a UEFI BIOS. I had to use the use the UEFI method, which requires a very specific bootx64.efi file or it won't work. Of course pretty much all the links to it in the guides are broken. tianocore/edk...
  18. S

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Where did I say that I used the 1gig port on the CRS309 for anything? The 10gig to 1gig was in the CSS326's. Running the 10gig traffic through the CRS309 first before the CSS326 made the problem even worse. They shouldn't be shipping new products with old, outdated, & buggy firmware.
  19. S

EU 6TB HGST Helium SAS Drives <£79

Are these really a deal? In the US you can get new HGST/WD 12TB SAS 12Gbs He 7200RPM drives for $330. That's ~3x as much for new drives that are double the capacity.