Search results

1. N

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

There are some small copper pads/heatsinks with different thicknesses of 1-2mm and different sizes on ebay.
  2. N

New NAS Build: consideration about chipset throughput / controller cards

X570 chipset has lower random write performance than B550. (They are designed by different companies.) But if the sata ports connect mechanical HDDs, they are no differences. Asrock's b550 Taichi has a 2.5Gbps Intel NIC, 8 sata ports(4 from b550 chipset and 4 from asm1061 chip), 2 m.2 slots (1x...
  3. N

The new Intel i226-V / i226-LM / i226-IT NICs

Lots of complains to the i225-v from v1 to v3 on reddit.com. Will i226 have lesser bugs?
  4. N

Using openwrt on R4S hardware is pretty popular.
  5. N

R4S is probably using Realtek NIC chips. Personally, I will prefer Intel NIC chips on *BSD based firewalls.
  6. N

Homelab 2.5GB Networking / Firewall Segregation Advice Needed

I think a mini PC with 4 or 6 ports like the one on the amazon link you posted is a popular choice in recent years. Since a thin client like Wyse 5070 or HP T740 needs more works to make it run pfSense or other firewall systems.
  7. N

Homelab 2.5GB Networking / Firewall Segregation Advice Needed

There are a discussion thread on 4x2.5gbps mini PCs: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/topton-jasper-lake-quad-i225v-mini-pc-report.36699/ Read from the last page for 4-5 pages or more, you will know what model you needs. Personally, I will prefer N5105 as the CPU of 4x2.5g...
  8. N

B550D4-4L .....what are these slots?

They look like from different versions of this model. Anatech's review has both pictures: link
  9. N

U.2/NVMe Cables - SFF8643-to-SFF8639 100cm [$11] $12 ; SFF8654_8i-to-2xSFF8639 75cm $17 - Amazon

I had 2 DiLiving brand m.2 to U.2 cables from full filled by Amazon "DiLinker". They work well. Haven't tried "CableCreation" brand yet.
  10. N

Can a desktop computer's power supply last over a decade?

Ultra X4 1000watt is $185 on ebay for new now. I think it was premium grade in 2010. Near $1.9 for 10 watts. I found the ea650 was $1 for every 10 watts on the old invoice.
  11. N

Can a desktop computer's power supply last over a decade?

An Antec ea650 green bronze power supply. Beginning from the year of AM3+ socket and FX series, then Intel 1150 and the famous E3 v3. Yesterday, it might come to an end because of sudden shutdown after running 3DMark again years later.
  12. N

is the unifi usg-xg-8 any good as homelab router?

Its last firmware update was in Nov last year. I think the largest part of usg-xg-8's value was from its 16-core MIPS cpu.
  13. N

Hunt for Genuine quad port NIC [PFSENSE]

Maybe there are some recycled Intel chips on the fake ones. A non-relative story from Shenzhen, the users can only find the recycled 80486 CPUs from the dealers in Shenzhen now.
  14. N

This is another way to buy a NIC with genuine Intel chip, finding a NIC equipping i350-am2/am4. If the user is using non-windows OS, it should be no problem with the open source Intel drivers. But the issue I met on the Windows workstation's NIC teaming is that the current Intel drivers for...
  15. N

if you run pfsense on bare metal, find the 4-port nic without supporting SR-IOV, for example, i340, it will be lesser chances to get fake ones. But if the pfSense is in hypervisor, then only SR-IOV is prefered and this trick won't work.
  16. N

I took a look at the comments under the "Vedio Talk" video (link), someone said these products from "Vedio Talk" are manufactured by a company in Dongguan City called "ChangNet"(Its Chinese name "畅网" and brand "CWWK"), and "Vedio Talk" just puts its logo on these products. And "Vedio Talk"...
  17. N

$13/TB Sata Recertified Drives

x16 16tb for $196.99 x18 16tb for $199.99
  18. N

WD SN630 U.2 NVME SSDs

I have a guess: Is it possible that the "Mac" version can be also used on Linux but not Windows, and the "Windows/Linux" version can only be used on Windows and Linux? Because I had got an SN630 960gb from another ebay vendor, and when in testing, it has no problem on booting Ubuntu, but not...
  19. N

$13/TB Sata Recertified Drives

Still serverpartdeals.com. X16 16TB for $204.99 https://serverpartdeals.com/products/seagate-exos-x16-st16000nm001g-16tb-7-2k-rpm-sata-6gb-s-512e-4kn-256mb-3-5-fastformat-manufacturer-recertified-hdd $20 less than last month.
  20. N

Alibaba cloud unveiled a CIPU

Just learned the news that Alibaba cloud unveiled a CIPU(Cloud Infrastructure Processing Unit): link. An introduction video(link) said, comparing to Intel's IPU and Nvidia's DPU, it was designed not only for sharing CPU resources but also GPU resources among the nodes. It lets me thinking about...