Search results

1. I

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

The first drivers that were loaded during the windows xp instalation are adaptec drivers :D (And not because the name started with "a", there were also some 3ware drivers)
  2. I

How to blink or identify NVMe drives connected to an LSI 9500 tri-mode controller.

I think all their current stuff predates that standard (even the pcie 4.0 backplanes), at least their is no documentation about it (google with site:supermicro.com). You didn't specify or link the exact supermicro server/chassis you have. I have two 745b chassis where i replaced the sas...
  3. I

Mellanox ConnectX-3 Wake on LAN

3) Not BIOS, but Boot Rom which could be used to Boot a OS via Network 4) ipmi ist awesome for starting Systems remotely :)
  4. I

Looking for a UPS

PCs, monitors and tvs should be able to use c13 to c14 cables to connect to ups I use such a powerstrip to "convert" from the c13 of my ups to schuko :D (Brennenstuhl 1156057128)
  5. I

Seagate Exos 2X14 Mach.2 500MBps Hard Drive Launched

comming here from google... After searching for information how exactly seagate achieves more throughput :D let's say we have two hdds with 8 platters each, each platter has the same storage density and capacity hdd 1: (single actuator) hdd 2: (dual actuators) how can hdd 2 be faster (in...
  6. I

QSFP28 100G to differents speeds like 40Gb

I have the "opposite" problem: I have multiple 100GBE nics but can't/won't update to a 100GBE switch in the near future* and have to stick with my 40GBE switch :D The 100GBE nics are mellanox cx-4 vpi cards (2 are hpe branded) and they work fine with all qsfp+ and qsfp14 cable connected to an...
  7. I

20TB hard drive for $295

failed enterprise/startup?
  8. I

280W TDP CPU in Supermicro 2U?

It was the preapplied thermal grease from the SNK-P0064AP4 heatsink. Photo from another heatsink: I would use the "x method with dots" like amd shows in their videos: (Funny thing: the guy uses the threadripper(pro) wrench and taped the logos in that video:D)
  9. I

Chelsio NIC breakdown

I'm curios if they can be crossflashed like mellanox cards :D
  10. I

I rerun the tests to see what differences in temps I will get now that the thermal grease is set Ambient temp: 27°C Humidty: 50-52% (Analog hygrometer) Fan settings: Optimum speed Idle temps: SNK-P0063AP4 without airshroud: 47°C SNK-P0063AP4 with airshroud: 47°C The SNK-P0063AP4 is...
  11. I

Threaripper Pro 3955WX on a M12SWA with 128GB ddr4 3200MHZ ram Ambient temp: 28°C Humidty: 40-44% (Analog hygrometer) Fan settings: Optimum speed Stress test with Prime95 v30.8 b15 SNK-P0064AP4: 90°C SNK-P0063AP4 without airshroud: 89°C SNK-P0063AP4 with airshroud: 90°C Idle temps...
  12. I

Server 2022 essentials included RDP CAL's?

From experience windows server will work fine without cals/licenses. You (the customers) want to have the proper cals/licenses when you (they) get auditioned (by microsoft or other entities for certain iso certifications) :D
  13. I

12G spinners vs 6G spinners

hdds? nope. maybe when seagate finally releases the hdds with multiple actuators (which can almost max out a 6GBit/s link) for everybody (see https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/exos-2x14-DS2015-2-1912US-en_US.pdf) Edit: it makes sense to buy 12GBit/s hdds when they are the...
  14. I

12G spinners vs 6G spinners

Rerun the test with a larger files (let's say 30+ GByte) and put the hdd in the same slot (and let it "cool off" after each benchmark run). I think the result's will be even closer... I'm not sure what you mean... 6 GBit/s is ~550MByte/s with encoding and sata+sas tunneling protocol. Nothing...
  15. I

20TB hard drive for $295

I would check the seagate website for warranty and firmware downloads. if there is still warrant and firmware downloads available then yes, it's a great deal. (I think seagate exos are to hdds what intel dc ssds were for ssds)
  16. I

Samsung PB SSD at 128TB for 60PB All-flash Racks

I was thinking put these ssds in a pcie chassis/jbof and let a dedicated cpu (close to the chassis/jbof) do this work. (reminds me of hardware raid :D)
  17. I

2022 Server Memory upgrade

new? used? location? new & germany: 64gb dimmms
  18. I

Dell R720xd cannot see disks in NetApp DS4246

is the hba connected to the correct iom? with sata (and without interposers) only one iom could "see" the disks
  19. I

Kalray K200-LP DPU with Coolidge MPPA3-80 DPU Chip at FMS 2022

I'm blind and tired: I see three dpus and the last slot doesn't seem to have a pcie slot (maybe for dual slot accelerators/gpus/dpus?)
  20. I

Xeon 8272CL Maximum Memory

Do you know if this is an actual limit or if this the limit that was possible with the dimm sizes available at the time?