Search results

1. The Gecko

HP DL360 Gen8 PCIe Slots with single CPU

Does anyone know which PCIe slots and other motherboard resources are disabled if you run a DL360 Gen8 with only one CPU? I've been looking (unsuccessfully) for a motherboard block diagram similar to this one for a Supermicro motherboard.
  2. The Gecko

Product Suggestion: Automotive Window Decal

I'd like to pre-order a STH window decal. It would look great on my white Grand Cherokee...
  3. The Gecko

Intel P3700 page size

This document shows it supports variable sector sizes of 512, 520, 528, 4096, 4104, 4160, or 4224 Bytes, but sector size is not the same as page size. Does anyone know the page size used in the P3700 SSD? Thanks!
  4. The Gecko

WTB: Asus ROG Aura Terminal

Does anyone have an Asus ROG Aura Terminal that they would part with?
  5. The Gecko

140mm PC Air Filter

Keep your case free from dust, hair, and grime! Link. GitHub page: Link.
  6. The Gecko

Supermicro to ATX Power Supply Adapter

Mount a redundant Supermicro PSU in an ATX chassis. Link. OpenSCAD and STL files are posted to the GitHub page: Link.
  7. The Gecko

RTX 3000 GPUs that are easy to disassemble?

With the RTX 3000 series now on the market, it looks like NVIDIA has chosen to squash all blower designs. If you want a blower, you need to look at the older Quadros, or the newer RTX A6000. Well, this is a problem for me because I when I upgrade my desktop GPU, I like to put the older GPU...
  8. The Gecko

Supermicro PSUs in an ATX Workstation

Build’s Name: Toxic Orange Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows 10 CPU: Ryzen 3700 Pro Motherboard: ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE Chassis: Fractal Define S2 Tempered Glass Drives: XPG SX8200 Pro v1 2TB NVMe RAM: 64 GiB (16x4) DDR4 ECC v-Color TE416G26D819VK-VKC clocked at 3200 Add-in Cards...
  9. The Gecko

Information on Supermicro PDB-PT825-36824

I'm looking for any documents and compatibility matrices for the PDB-PT825-36824. The only documentation links I can find are here: PSU Cable List FAQ Entry #24122 The 23-pin PWS-1K41P-1R and PWS-1K41P-SQ will fit and fill up the entire slot. The 19-pin PWS-1K21P-1R also fits, but doesn't...
  10. The Gecko

SOLVED: Hyper-transport Sync Flood Error

The Problem: I have an old AMD Opteron 2000 system that is experiencing hyper-transport sync flood errors. I can't even install an OS without the system crashing/rebooting. At one point, the system crashed with sync flood errors while I was updating settings in the BIOS. I've tried...
  11. The Gecko

Which storage traffic transports are cable arm friendly?

I'm putting together a dedicated storage server for home and want to use a cable management arm. The problem I face is that the only storage traffic cable (of which I have experience with) that works well with the tight turns of a cable management arms is traditional Ethernet over copper...
  12. The Gecko

Windows Server OS via eBay

I've got an aging file server running an MSDN copy of Windows Server 2012 R2. I'd like to replace it with WS2019. There are always copies showing up on eBay. Can someone offer suggestions on what to look for / what to stay away from when purchasing a Windows Server OS through eBay? Perhaps...
  13. The Gecko

Samsung P043S7T6 EMC7680 SSD

I bought two similar drives (A & B) from a vendor. Drive A got assimilated by the system quickly and is happily being used by ZFS. Drive B showed "issues". I investigated as best I could, was convinced there was something physically wrong with the drive, contacted the vendor, and received a...
  14. The Gecko

Looking for experienced TrueNAS HA operator

I have some very specific questions concerning the behavior/configuration of a TrueNAS with HA. My company no longer has a support contract, so I am turning to the community. Perhaps there is someone willing to have a half hour phone call to answer my questions? PM me and we'll swap numbers...
  15. The Gecko

10Gb + Cable Management Arm

I've used cable management arms from Dell, Lenovo, and SuperMicro. One thing they all have in common is a tiny turn radius for the cables. I am looking to add some 10Gb networking to my rack and all of my servers use cable management arms* (CMA). Don't worry about the exhaust temps; those are...
  16. The Gecko

Supermicro: Old Chassis + New(er) Motherboard

I tried to mount a new(ish) Supermicro motherboard (X9DR3-LN4F+) into an older CSE-846 revision ABC-03 chassis. You might be wondering why am I posting information about this very old chassis? As it turns out, all the eBay vendors I contacted cannot tell me what the revision is of the...
  17. The Gecko

Digging my way out of a mistake

Background: I own a Lenovo x3650 M4 2U server with E5-2600 v1 processors and 24x16GB RAM. I purchased two E5-2667 v2 processors ($330) and later realized that the x3650 M4 requires a motherboard upgrade to handle the newer procs. The current motherboard is model 00Y8457. Similar models are...
  18. The Gecko

x3650 M4 Rails and Cable Arm Problems

I have an x3650 M4 server sitting in rails marked 69Y5021 and 69Y5022. I purchased a cable management arm that is for the x3650 M4; part number 94y6627. Try as I might, I cannot get the two to mate. I'm pretty sure they are incompatible. Is there someone with experience with this hardware...
  19. The Gecko

CPU options based on PSU size

I have an IBM x3650 with a 550W power supply. It currently uses two Xeon E5-2620 v1 processors at 95W each. I'd like to upgrade to dual v2 processors, but I don't know how far I can push it from a power (Watts) perspective. Two E5-2650 v2 procs should work because it has the same TDP of 95W...
  20. The Gecko

Gaming with a server

Originally, this thread was about gaming with a server and a big video card. However, I’ve added a new question about power cables to support the use of a GPU for photogrammetry. Once or twice a year I attend a LAN party using whatever spare parts I can scrape together. I don't have a desktop...