Nintendo’s Ultimate Retro Gaming Experience

Do you think this will be better then an emulator?

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

The-Ghost

Jul 1, 2014
Northern Ontario, Canada
Relive Past Glories with Nintendo’s Ultimate Retro Gaming Experience | Business Wire

From the Link:

If you see a Nintendo Entertainment System on store shelves this holiday shopping season, you haven’t entered a time machine. (Unless everyone around you is wearing acid-washed jeans and neon leg warmers. If that’s the case, you may have unknowingly walked through a rift in the space-time continuum.) The most likely scenario is you are setting eyes on the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition, launching in stores on Nov. 11 at a suggested retail price of $59.99. That’s right: The NES is back! But this isn’t the same NES that you fondly remember. This new nostalgia-fueled system is a near-identical, mini replica of Nintendo’s original home console and plugs directly into your high-definition TV using an included HDMI cable. The console comes complete with 30 NES games built in, including beloved classics like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN, and Kirby’s Adventure.

Looks like Nintendo is making dreams come true with an officially supported way to run the Classics on our glorious HDTV's with minimal fuzz, for a great price of ~$60USD :).... I know there's several Rpi emulators out there but i think this takes the cake, but time will tell as its not due out till later in the year (Novemberish). Only downside is there's no mention of being able to add additional games as or if they become available.

I for one am looking forward to getting my grubby little mitts on it and reliving some of my oldest Gaming memories from back in the day. I also hope that they follow this up with a SNES version at a later date as I have far more memories of (rainy) days spent playing Super Mario, and the game where you flew an airplane and had to go through various obstacles.

Reactions: Patrick

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
I don't want one... I NEED ONE. This would make me more satisfied playing the classic games without worrying about toasting the original consoles/cartridges we spent a ton of time buying and cleaning up/repairing.

My wife and I have been fueling our nostalgia recently and visiting a handful of stores in SC (and a few in Norfolk/Virginia Beach when we visit that way) and buying up whatever we can get our hands on.

So far we have a beautiful condition NES with a handful of games, a Gamecube with a handful of games, and the Wii we bought her daughter a while ago (since moved onto the Wii U) all in a storage box and occasionally pull them out to play. I'm still looking for something like a Sony Trinitron tube TV to refurbish and attach them to - add to the nostalgia!

Next up on the list - must collect the Sega systems...

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I have NES usb controllers and I play these games on the tv via retro pi periodically.
While this would be easier to setup ... I also like playing snes games and up to ps1 on my lil retropi.
And the 4 player games...

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have NES usb controllers and I play these games on the tv via retro pi periodically.
While this would be easier to setup ... I also like playing snes games and up to ps1 on my lil retropi.
And the 4 player games...
I got the NES controller too but never set it all up on my surface... having a REtro PI setup sounds interesting :)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I got the NES controller too but never set it all up on my surface... having a REtro PI setup sounds interesting :)
It really is painfully easy to setup... you flash the rom to a SD or micro SD card based on the version of pi you are using. you power on the box and connect controllers and keyboard. Copy across any roms you want (network share automagically created). For more than 1 controller you will have to set them up.... its not as intuitive as a single controller but its not bad.

Unplug keyboard and navigate with controllers. Controller profiles are saved. If you want different controllers you can set them up and save those profiles and be able to switch between nes and snes controllers.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Retron5 is extremely prone to failure and not very fixable.

The only good solution is a real nintoaster or a top loader. This $60 thing seems like a gimmick.