Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Drive - Cheap 2.5" 4TB drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Paul Roland

Jul 10, 2015
Hmz, it was only advertised on some sites on a closer look it seems like it's the same hdd.
Only difference is that maxtor one offer 3 year warranty to be voided of course when opening the case

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
it looks like that model might be more available in europe as well, most sites i saw it on with a search are showing up in euros, name recognition segmentation?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Looks like WD have finally come out with a 4TB 13mm model as well, $160USD MSRP. Fair way off the price of the seagates for the time being and remains to be seen how shuckable they are.

June 28, 2016-Western Digital Expands Storage Capacity Of Several Drives In The My Passport Line Up To 4TB Providing New Capacity For The Industry's Iconic Brand
if they're anything like the mypassport on my desk(1tb model) the usb controller is integrated and they can't be shucked at all, which is unfortunate

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
it's impressive either way but is that 32TB raw or post raid?
Raw. Will be probably 22TB usable.

I will be either using Linux/Snapraid or Unraid (dual parity). The system will be running KVM passing 2 video cards and 2 usb cards to separate windows 10 VM's.

I have my GTX 970 running this way (in a 8x slot) on an unraid server and have been using it as my main workstation (VM with video and usb passed through). I get ~90% of the performance out of the video card but I don't play many games that much any more so it is perfectly acceptable.

I will have to do a build log in this "server".

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
And here I thought my 14 TB usable (24 raw) in raidz2 was dope...good show sir!

Bradford

May 27, 2016
Raw. Will be probably 22TB usable.

I will be either using Linux/Snapraid or Unraid (dual parity). The system will be running KVM passing 2 video cards and 2 usb cards to separate windows 10 VM's.

I have my GTX 970 running this way (in a 8x slot) on an unraid server and have been using it as my main workstation (VM with video and usb passed through). I get ~90% of the performance out of the video card but I don't play many games that much any more so it is perfectly acceptable.

I will have to do a build log in this "server".
I'm planning nearly the exact same build, but with 2 RX480s or 1060s (based on which has lower effective TDP). I would love to see your build log. I'm particularly interested on how easy it was to configure KVM, and whether you did everything manually or used the UNRAID (I think) options to do video card passthrough?

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
I'm planning nearly the exact same build, but with 2 RX480s or 1060s (based on which has lower effective TDP). I would love to see your build log. I'm particularly interested on how easy it was to configure KVM, and whether you did everything manually or used the UNRAID (I think) options to do video card passthrough?
I am thinking of going with 2 1060's to replace the GTX970 and 760 I have. Looks to be low TDP but similar speed to a GTX980. Using Unraid would be the easiest but doing it manually gives me a full linux system I can run stuff off of and use windows for gaming and my Visual Studio work. Right now through unraid I just picked the video card and the hdmi sound to pass through and also added my PCIe USB3 card. I had some issues just passing USB devices. I will make a build log for this once the rest of the parts come in.

Paul Roland

Jul 10, 2015
Aparently these drives, ST4000LM016 seem to have an high load/unload count like the wd...
Already got 30 just in a few minutes.
Perhaps a way to disable this apm ?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
are there any more deals for ~100. it seems like all of the deals went back up to ~$115-$120

Chris

mtekk

May 22, 2015
Minnesota
Silver one is still $99 at Amazon. Ugg, I already have 6 shucked drives, why did I just buy another? Oh well, maybe I'll use this one as Seagate intended (leave in the enclosure).

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Although Im not a huge fan of Seagate, I took a leap of faith and hope things have improved since my last batch of doorstops were created and ordered 12 for $99.99 each to evaluate as a lower power alternative to my 3.5" Red arrays for media storage.

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
Got one, ZFSed it. So far so good.

Can't device whether I want to use it for offsite backup, or to have a laptop with a full backup.

Hopefully they don't have some wierdass software in the USB controller that fixes something about them.