interesting 10g switch from netgear

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
I saw those as well and thought that it was interesting as they look like the same chassis (the smaller one) as the Dell x4012 but that is all fiber / no copper. It is interesting that there are more and more switches that are coming out with combos of ports.

Its been said that this year is the year of 10G, I guess we are finally seeing it. Can't wait to see what if anything will come out for the home especially with insane Fiber to the Home offerings like the one in Minnesota with 10G and Comcasts new "Multi-Gig" Service which is 10G to the house but throttled down to 2Gb/Sec.

That said some people seem to think that we are going to see some kind of intermediate solution for the home with 2.5 or 5gb/sec instead of 10G. I hope that isn't the case since 10G is a standard.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
I saw those as well and thought that it was interesting as they look like the same chassis (the smaller one) as the Dell x4012 but that is all fiber / no copper. It is interesting that there are more and more switches that are coming out with combos of ports.

Its been said that this year is the year of 10G, I guess we are finally seeing it. Can't wait to see what if anything will come out for the home especially with insane Fiber to the Home offerings like the one in Minnesota with 10G and Comcasts new "Multi-Gig" Service which is 10G to the house but throttled down to 2Gb/Sec.

That said some people seem to think that we are going to see some kind of intermediate solution for the home with 2.5 or 5gb/sec instead of 10G. I hope that isn't the case since 10G is a standard.
NBase-T has some advantages and disadvantages when compared to 10Gb. The main advantage is going to be distance over cat5e. 10Gb over cat5e is very short where 5Gb over 100m of cat5e achievable.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I view nbase-t as a stop-gap measure until folks can (or are willing to $$$) upgrade their cable plants to cat7 or fiber to handle 10Gb+.

lucidrenegade

Dec 12, 2011

Even the 8x8 is $1800. I'd be happy with a 4x4 @ $500, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Reactions: Andre Blumberg