Chenbro-Cleversafe-Slicestor-1440

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

imchipz

Apr 18, 2016
Wow finally something with great shipping costs to AU - 86.30 USD, 0 import charges. I don't need this

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Wow finally something with great shipping costs to AU - 86.30 USD, 0 import charges. I don't need this
True, but then factor in and disk caddies/rails - they're not included. Adaptec 6805, so it'll be SAS expander of some sort but no idea if it will properly support disks > 2TB. Older, so the battery if there was one is probably dead and the cabling inside looks like it belongs on /r/cablefail.

Does that help at all?

Reactions: frogtech

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
True, but then factor in and disk caddies/rails - they're not included. Adaptec 6805, so it'll be SAS expander of some sort but no idea if it will properly support disks > 2TB. Older, so the battery if there was one is probably dead and the cabling inside looks like it belongs on /r/cablefail.

Does that help at all?
What makes you say /r/cablefail? I took another look just now, and while there are some unused, they all looked neatly bundled/managed... what am I missing here?

My bigger concern is the power supply, it *looks* tiny, and I've never seen a "tiny" power supply that I would trust with running $5K worth of hard drives (assumption: $100 each x48)

I think my wife might kill me if I ordered one of these, but I'm very tempted to find a backplane like these to use in an existing 4U case... gotta look into that!

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
I have this chassis. I dont recommend it. The hd tray is cheap..., the construction need bracing.

Overall i would rather get supermicro 45 bays for $300 posted on here fewdays ago

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada
Hi everyone,

as I have one of these already, i guess i should tell you about them. It's 2 x 24 ports sas-2 expanders that can be removed from the front. (Those 4 screws at the front of the cases are for that, 2 for each expander)

I may buy another one seeing these at that price :)

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
What makes you say /r/cablefail? I took another look just now, and while there are some unused, they all looked neatly bundled/managed... what am I missing here?

My bigger concern is the power supply, it *looks* tiny, and I've never seen a "tiny" power supply that I would trust with running $5K worth of hard drives (assumption: $100 each x48)

I think my wife might kill me if I ordered one of these, but I'm very tempted to find a backplane like these to use in an existing 4U case... gotta look into that!
That's the 2x2.5" hotswap bay, not PSU...

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Nothing in particular, you did seem to be asking for reasons not to buy - so I exaggerated a wee touch.

Also apparently caddies and rails are (now?) included, so ... even more reason to ignore me and get a couple (spares!!)

Reactions: Fritz

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Those power supplies look like they're going to be ridiculously loud, probably the only reason I haven't touched this.

May 10, 2016
I just purchased one of these they had an auction for that started at $200. Paid $202 shipped which I consider a steal - my nearing 80% capacity full 24 bay freenas box will be much more comfortable now. I am sorry to whoever I sniped the auction from in the last 10 seconds, I have a feeling it may have been a forum member here. I will be swapping in my s2600cj4 dual 2670 board from my last case and would be happy to post build log pictures and answer questions if anyone has them. Also, if anyone is interested in a few LSI 6gb HBAs, a norco 4224, a modular platinum power supply with custom wiring harness I built for this case, and possibly an x3 or x5 dual processor board with CPUs, please feel free to pm me before they hit eBay in the next couple of weeks. For refrence, my eBay username is joshuahandrich91 and I have 100% positive feedback.

Been lurking on this forum for about a month now and in that time upgraded from an e3 Xeon to dual e5s and doubled the size of my storage chassis. Not sure if this is a blessing or a curse, but these forums are an excellent resource and far more pleasant than the freenas forums.

So, please let me know if there is anything that would be useful to know about these so I can give back a bit (i.e. Connecting the backplanes to multiple HBA's to utilize more lanes, pictures, power supply specs, etc.)

Reactions: Sleyk
May 10, 2016
Welcome to STH my friend! Glad you got a great deal! No worries, sometimes these things happen! Nature of eBay. No one should be upset with ya! Post an info or pics you like! I might consider grabbing one too!

I spotted another listing like this one, but price is $599 + $80 shipping. Too expensive!

Chenbro 48 Bay Top Loader 4U Chassis w/Rail Kit+Drive Brackets COMPLETE SYSTEM!

P.S. I stay away from the Freenas forums too...
Search eBay for slicestor, you can find them for $370 shipped. I made that guy an offer for like $350 including shipping telling him another seller had these much cheaper and flooded the market and he said his had been selling fine and we were too far apart to negotiate.

I will be sure to post some pictures and findings on here in the next week or two when I am able to work on it.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

May 10, 2016
Search eBay for slicestor, you can find them for $370 shipped. I made that guy an offer for like $350 including shipping telling him another seller had these much cheaper and flooded the market and he said his had been selling fine and we were too far apart to negotiate.

I will be sure to post some pictures and findings on here in the next week or two when I am able to work on it.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
You could also try giving them a call, they may be willing to work out a little better deal outside of eBay, especially since it looks like they've only sold one outside of the one I bought. My guess is there may not be a huge market for these second hand as they're probably too large for what most people would have any use for. They also don't appear to list them on their own website. Their number is listed in this eBay listing for the item:

Chenbro Cleversafe Slicestor 1440 3.5" 4U Top Load Enclosure Chassis 32GB RAM

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Ah yes, you're right. Starting to get a little tempted. Will be interested to hear how loud the PSUs are.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
So how loud are these? I don't even need the server just the chassis to use as a JBOD with my 846.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
do these support E-ATX motherboards?

and does the variant with the supermicro X8 motherboard for sure have SAS-2 expanders? I don't want a backplane that can't support 24 8TB drives...

Last edited: