Supermicro HTML5 iKVM arrived

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
We have a Supermicro SYS-5018D-LN4T in the lab and I saw something I think STH-ers will be excited about: an initial HTML5 iKVM!

The HTML5 KVM functions are working as are the power on/ off. Virtual media still requires the Java app or using the web page:
Supermicro X10SDV-2C-TP4F HTML5 and Java iKVM.PNG

Still, this is a very exciting development for those of us who want to move to a java-less environment.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I can confirm: the D-1508 is slower than a 2P E5-2650 V4, a 48C Cavium ThunderX, a 96C Cavium ThunderX, but faster than an Atom C2358.

Just a few of the machines I am benchmarking today...

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
We have a Supermicro SYS-5018D-LN4T in the lab and I saw something I think STH-ers will be excited about: an initial HTML5 iKVM!
Ah nice. If only there were a chance in hell it would be backported to the X9 boards!

I of course hold no hope at all that it will somehow get to my C6100's, but having it on the storage and backup monsters would be good.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I have an x10drw-i that has it - as well as one of my Xeon-d boards (don't remember exactly which one).

Since all of the x10sdv's use the same BMC software you should be able to get it now on any of them.

But probably no love on X9 boards.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
My previous plans to get a Xeon-D board were put on hold awaiting this sort of development... don't want to be caught in a "Oh we've decided not to update this model because of XYZ" scenario!

Patrick, do Supermicro have any information on browser compatibility, or more specifically, what bits of HTML5 are being used to make this possible? Given that your screenie shows the same compression artifacts it looks like the BMC is just outputting an (MJPEG?) video to the browser like they do with the existing java applet. Wondering if the existing system you have works in any browser or needs specific webkit/IE/whatever stuff.

Is this development being driven only by Supermicro or by the BMC manufacturers themselves? Will other OEMs using the same BMCs also have access to this...?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
My previous plans to get a Xeon-D board were put on hold awaiting this sort of development... don't want to be caught in a "Oh we've decided not to update this model because of XYZ" scenario!

Patrick, do Supermicro have any information on browser compatibility, or more specifically, what bits of HTML5 are being used to make this possible? Given that your screenie shows the same compression artifacts it looks like the BMC is just outputting an (MJPEG?) video to the browser like they do with the existing java applet. Wondering if the existing system you have works in any browser or needs specific webkit/IE/whatever stuff.

Is this development being driven only by Supermicro or by the BMC manufacturers themselves? Will other OEMs using the same BMCs also have access to this...?
Chrome certainly worked. Edge worked as well:
upload_2016-6-23_7-5-20.png

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
I did the upgrade of the firmware on one node but can't seem to find out how to access via HTML5. It continues to go to the JAVA Web Page? Am I missing something other than my brain?...

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
IPMI on SM boards is slowly getting unusable. I find hooking up a monitor and kb is faster than getting trough the ipmi/java hell. I would pay $10 to SM for a HTML5 IPMI on each of my old boards. I assume a lot of people would (esp. enterprise).

Reactions: cheezehead

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I just updated three X10 motherboards to Redfish_X10_331 and 332 (versions 3.31 and 3.32) today. Two were Xeon E5 boards and one was Xeon D. All three had this feature.

If you do have an X10 motherboard, see if you have IPMI firmware v. 3.30 or newer available.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I have noticed the most recent updates seem to make the HTML5 iKVM much more stable. It is promising. It still won't be fully functional until they ge the remote ISO mounts working.

I'm guessing this is not something that will be available for my H8DG6-F system?

-J
Likely not. Sorry. There are Redfish versions for most socket 2011 X9 (E5 v1/v2) boards - but I don't know if they are getting the HTML5 iKVM update.