Gigabyte X170 Extreme ECC Motherboard Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lucidrenegade

Dec 12, 2011
"High speed storage solutions using SATA Express are becoming more mainstream and this can really boost the performance of your system."

Where are these mythical sata express drives? I only know of one from WD. Haven't seen any others in the last two years.

MrFlppy

Jun 11, 2016
I've also stated this but my comments seem to disappear. I apologised for a rude term describing a component* and asked some neutral questions, but well...

*I had spent many hours trying to figure out why RSS was not working on a I219-LM in one of my systems until I figured out that these NICs are not capable of RSS even tough their data sheet lists them as RSS-capable. Now, any time I see one of these NICs I begin to see red and my sarcastic side breaks through ;)

Is this review maybe "advertorial" content?

Last edited:

MrFlppy

Jun 11, 2016
That's strange, I just checked and I see "0 comments" on that review (cp. screenshot). JavaScripts are not blocked and I can see comments on other articles.

Then I apologise (again) for faux-double-commenting thinking I had used language a little too harsh, resulting in deletion. As I mentioned for me this topic is personal ;)
I looked quite a bit for a suitable C236 board and landed on an ASUS P10S WS with two I210-AT NICs. Still a lot of bugs but at least very little design flaws.

Back to the review: The whole design shows that Gigabyte put close to zero effort into using the C236 PCH and just reused a Z170 motherboard design 1:1, hence the nonsense with 6 PCH SATA ports and an additional 2 ports ASM chip.

Attachments

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I don't get the camo. Is it to hide your mobo in a sandbox or something?

@William - what are you thinking on SATA Express. Failed interface.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
From a product marketing standpoint this board is basically a Chimera, it wants to target some of the higher end and professional market yet packs in gimmicks such as the "Camo" design theme and colored LED adjustments. I also agree with most points @MrFlppy made, SATA Express ports? Why not 2 M2 NVMe ports onboard? Also most workstation users are primarily concerned about stability and expandability vs. overclocking, some of these design motivations are diametrically opposed and in this case merged into one confusing product.

Also agree with Jesper's comments on the main article regarding the point ratings, every article I've seen gets 9.5+ which makes it almost meaningless in a 10 point scale @William and @Patrick

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
SATA Express is indeed a failed interface and I suspect Intel is to blame here because they already designed support for it on the long-term in both Z97 and Z170 chipsets. And to my surprise C236 also supports it. I'm baffled.
They are also to blame for these stupid Xeon capable Skylake boards in not supporting Xeon CPUs on consumer 170 series chipsets.

Intel aren't known for making huge mistakes but this is certainly one of those.