Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
I will take this as a no. :)
Good question none the less!
All of those used E5-2670s that got ripped out of data centres must have been replaced with something else. Much as I love my dual E5-2670 system, it would be good to know what the data centres are buying as replacement so that in a couple of years I can buy a mobo in anticipation before the prices hike back up as they did for E5-2670 boards. What are the data centres buying now, E5-2670 V4?

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
Hello, this is my first post in this forum. I saw a lot of dual Xeon builds in this forum so I decided to make one for fun. I want to have dual cpu machine, I saw a lot of mighty servers in my firm, so want to have something unusual on my desk.

I got new S2600COEIOC board with 2 years warranty for 215€. I ordered two E5-2670 (120€) and 64GB ECC ram(90€). Tomorrow I will got Phanteks Enthoo Pro (110€). I have Chieftec modular 750W a few 1TB hdds and 240GB ssd. Still dont' know which GPU to buy...

I am software and net engineer in IT. But electronic is my hobby for last 30 years.
I'v done a lot of custom PCB boards for my projects, my friend or as replacement for burned parts, sometimes for testing and for fun. I will make PCB with Atmega 8 which I will connect to internal com port. I want to use it as my custom RGB controller. I saw 4pin to 6x3 pin board in Enthoo case, so I decided to make 7x PWM to 3 pin fan adapter. This will be part of my Atmega8 board. All of that will be 5x5cm, or smaller and I will use molex to power it. I will be able to connect ordinary fans to all fan ports on Intel board.
This is part of schematic of PCB I am working on.

There will be 7 circuits on board like this. As you can see I will connect only PWM signal and sense, rpm to board headers and I will use power from molex.

All seems good but I think that my problem will be SDR file. Any thought, advice?

Attachments

Reactions: Chuntzu

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
I forgot to mention that there is RAID module RMS25KB080 in box with Intel MB. It is module with internal connectors. I wish I could somehow to connect it with external 8 sata disks case (has own supply) . I can with two SAS 4i cables but I don't want cables to protrude through back of the case. Have you seen any cheap two port sas bracket in any online shop?

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
I got Phanteks Enthoo Pro. It is well designed, a lot of space and they thought about anything. But... plastic on window is so bad quality. Paint is so bad (probably bad or no primer) that it could be easily scratched. Yes it is original Phanteks with a
ll bells and whistles, it is no fake one. I am waiting USB 3.0 and sound card to arrive from China and I still haven't chosen what video card to buy. I hope that I'll finish build during next week, but it will be slow process because I will be recording every step and reviewing all components. I spend

1. Motherboard 216€
2. Processors 120€
3. Ram 64GB 98€
4. Case 110€
5. Coolers 49€
6. USB 3.0 13€
7. Audio 15€

Last edited:

zanechua

May 6, 2016
I got Phanteks Enthoo Pro. It is well designed, a lot of space and they thought about anything. But... plastic on window is so bad quality. Paint is so bad (probably bad or no primer) that it could be easily scratched. Yes it is original Phanteks with a
ll bells and whistles, it is no fake one. I am waiting USB 3.0 and sound card to arrive from China and I still haven't chosen what video card to buy. I hope that I'll finish build during next week, but it will be slow process because I will be recording every step and reviewing all components. I spend

1. Motherboard 216€
2. Processors 120€
3. Ram 64GB 98€
4. Case 110€
5. Coolers 49€
6. USB 3.0 13€
7. Audio 15€
What are you not happy about? lol.

PassMark - [Dual CPU] Intel Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz - Price performance comparison
PassMark - Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz - Price performance comparison

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
Well this is only generic test. I read on other forums that 4790 is much better in real applications. I have i7-2600k@4.5GHz for last 5 years and i7-4700hq - Asus n56jr laptop so I cant say anything about 4790 or e5-2670. I will benchmark it when finish it but as it has lower clock than my old 2600k I expect new PC (better to name it workstation) to be slower in starting applications than my old one. This kind of computers is good for serving a lot of clients, not for speed. I have a lot of mighty servers at work and I made a lot of software and I have been watching servers processing 1000-2000 clients simultaneously, so I decided to build WS instead of PC. I got award for 20y working as a software and net engineer from my firm. Shame but it's enough only for this computer..... Old one I'll give to son becouse his computer q6600 but Radeon hd6870 is slow for games.

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
Well I am from Serbia, Europe. I found a few stores who also sell online here with that MB. New boards with 2y warranty that haven't been sold so .... New Asus z9pe-8d ws is 490€! This Intel MB is more than twice cheaper and I'll add audio and usb3.0 for less than 30€.
I bought from INTEL Matična ploča S2600COEIOC... They had 4 boards. I put link in one forum and one man from Hungary bought rest.

Joseph Nunn

May 11, 2016
Irvine, CA
Well this is only generic test. I read on other forums that 4790 is much better in real applications. I have i7-2600k@4.5GHz for last 5 years and i7-4700hq - Asus n56jr laptop so I cant say anything about 4790 or e5-2670. I will benchmark it when finish it but as it has lower clock than my old 2600k I expect new PC (better to name it workstation) to be slower in starting applications than my old one. This kind of computers is good for serving a lot of clients, not for speed. I have a lot of mighty servers at work and I made a lot of software and I have been watching servers processing 1000-2000 clients simultaneously, so I decided to build WS instead of PC. I got award for 20y working as a software and net engineer from my firm. Shame but it's enough only for this computer..... Old one I'll give to son becouse his computer q6600 but Radeon hd6870 is slow for games.
What other forums? My guess is from your i7 overclock its a gaming focused forum and if that is what you want then yes you are buying the wrong kit.

However you say you are a developer, in which case your primary concern might be compilation speed. The dual E5-2670s would spank a 4790 in compiling the Linux kernel for example.

I also am into deep learning, with the E5-2670s you have 40 PCIe lanes per CPU instead of 16, so you can run more GPUs at full bandwidth, which makes a big difference when training neural networks.

You express a concern about slowly starting applications, but I believe the biggest factor there is your storage. With a nice SSD, maybe a PCIe one like the Intel 750, which will be bootable on UEFI motherboards, I don't think you would notice any difference.

As for other kinds of 'real applications' there are many instances where the dual E5-2670s are faster as many reviews show. However if you just want to game and surf the web, yeah you should buy a 4790.

If I were you, give your i7 to your son, its good for gaming, and keep the E5 workstation for yourself. Its a serious computer for doing serious work.

Reactions: jrdnlc

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
And you are wrong. There is 40 pci lanes per cpu 2x40=80 PLUS 8pci lanes from PCH so there is 88 PCI lanes on Intel s2600 series board. Last PCIex8 slot is connected to PCH.

Joseph Nunn

May 11, 2016
Irvine, CA
And you are wrong. There is 40 pci lanes per cpu 2x40=80 PLUS 8pci lanes from PCH so there is 88 PCI lanes on Intel s2600 series board. Last PCIex8 slot is connected to PCH.
Really I just don't know what the point of this post is. You can't hang a graphics card off the PCH. And I said there was 40 PCIe lanes per CPU, so really, what is your point here besides not understanding what I said in my post? Maybe you just are hoping you can claim I'm wrong about something.

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
Peace, sorry. But Aliexpress.com : Buy PCI E 16X to 1X Adapter Riser Cable Flex Flexible Extension Cable w/ Molex 4 Pin & Graphics Card PCI E 6 Pin Power Connector from Reliable cable crimp connector suppliers on YNL CABIN. I respect you and this should be forum to exchange knowledge. Sorry if I was rude. I thought that we are in same team. I was just wanted to know how successful would be my build in simple everyday tasks. I don't know and I wouldn't know for a few week until I test it in real. I respect your opinion and as I said: I hope you are right.

Joseph Nunn

May 11, 2016
Irvine, CA
Peace, sorry. But Aliexpress.com : Buy PCI E 16X to 1X Adapter Riser Cable Flex Flexible Extension Cable w/ Molex 4 Pin & Graphics Card PCI E 6 Pin Power Connector from Reliable cable crimp connector suppliers on YNL CABIN. I respect you and this should be forum to exchange knowledge. Sorry if I was rude. I thought that we are in same team. I was just wanted to know how successful would be my build in simple everyday tasks. I don't know and I wouldn't know for a few week until I test it in real. I respect your opinion and as I said: I hope you are right.
We are good.

I downloaded the manual, and I have to say that you bought an awesome motherboard. I would buy one right now if it was still available for what you spent. As some people mentioned, there are many who wish they could buy that board right now at the price you paid. You got lucky finding that board for that price, be happy!

I looked at the block diagram in the manual, and its ideal for running more than 1 GPU. Most important is you can hang the GPUs off the same PCIe root complex (read CPU), otherwise the QPI becomes a bottleneck when training neural networks in deep learning. I would put GPUs in PCIe slot 2 and slot 5. I don't know if you can run SLI on that board, but that has nothing to do with training neural networks using GPGPU computing, SLI is for graphics only.

My recommendation, your son is interested in gaming so give him the i7. You have the opportunity to learn a ton by using the E5 workstation as your main computer, just for the learning alone its worth using it. I would get an Intel 750 PCIe card and use that as your boot drive, you will have no problems with speed.

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
Well this is only generic test. I read on other forums that 4790 is much better in real applications. I have i7-2600k@4.5GHz for last 5 years and i7-4700hq - Asus n56jr laptop so I cant say anything about 4790 or e5-2670. I will benchmark it when finish it but as it has lower clock than my old 2600k I expect new PC (better to name it workstation) to be slower in starting applications than my old one. This kind of computers is good for serving a lot of clients, not for speed. I have a lot of mighty servers at work and I made a lot of software and I have been watching servers processing 1000-2000 clients simultaneously, so I decided to build WS instead of PC. I got award for 20y working as a software and net engineer from my firm. Shame but it's enough only for this computer..... Old one I'll give to son because his computer q6600 but Radeon hd6870 is slow for games.
I recently built a 2 x E5-2670 system with 64GB RAM on an S2600CP Intel Mother board. My other PC is an I7 4790 Lenovo mini desktop with 16GB RAM which I've used for about 18 months. So I can give you an good opinion on the relative speed between these systems!

The I7 4790 is clocked up to 4GHz on single threaded tasks whereas the E5-2670 will only clock to 3.3GHz on single threaded tasks. On multi threaded tasks the E5-2670 clocks at 3GHz with all threads at 100% provided your thermals are OK (so I don't know why they only call it a 2.6GHz processor!).

If you are just web surfing, then the I7 4790 is just slightly faster due to the higher clock frequency but there is really not much in it! When I'm using the dual E5-2670 system I have so many cores and so much memory I just don't have to worry about how many windows I have open.

I don't game, but if you just want to game then the i7 4790 would be better because of higher clock frequency.

I like to do 3D graphics rendering in Blender software, and in this application the dual Xeons are 3x faster in rendering compared my i7 4790 system, this is the reason I built the dual Xeon system. I haven't bought an expensive GPU for rendering because as soon as the scenes get more complex the 2 x E5-2670 CPUs will render faster than a Titan X GPU, and scene complexity is not limited to how much RAM I have on GPU.

If you want to use virtual machines then the dual Xeon system wins easily because of lots more cores and more memory. I run Linux Mint on my dual Xeon system because it's less bloated than Windows 10 and runs around 30% faster for rendering with Blender than Windows 10 (I couldn't believe Linux was so much faster at first but verified it several times on both i7 and Xeon systems). I have Windows 10 running as a virtual machine on Virtualbox for some older software that I can't run directly in Linux.

But if you are just gaming then Windows 10 will be better than Linux because of better GPU drivers and Direct X 12.

So really it depends what you want to do as to which option will be faster for you. I need to raise some funds now so need to sell one of these systems. It's the i7-4790 that I'm letting go, hopefully this tells you all you need to know!

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
Little update on everything since I got the gear. Everything has been running smoothly, I got a good deal on a CSE-825 chassis, but got the dreaded
  • PWS-702A-1R
So, got rid of those and scored a PWS-1K28P-SQ

You may wonder how that would run/fit since

1. It's a "custom" Avail via the Gold PCB contacts
2. A revised newer PDB.

Well, got it to work. Take off two tabs, smooth it out with a dremel and drop it in.

Also note that SM recommends that the single 4 pin should have power also but not needed. The new PDB only has 2x 8 pin EPS and I've been fully loading the server for testing and I haven't ran into any issues.

You may wonder why I got a 1280 (1000w) PSU.. Well I got a hella good deal, and I do what I want since it's a homelab.

Joseph Nunn

May 11, 2016
Irvine, CA
Little update on everything since I got the gear. Everything has been running smoothly, I got a good deal on a CSE-825 chassis, but got the dreaded
  • PWS-702A-1R
So, got rid of those and scored a PWS-1K28P-SQ

You may wonder how that would run/fit since

1. It's a "custom" Avail via the Gold PCB contacts
2. A revised newer PDB.

Well, got it to work. Take off two tabs, smooth it out with a dremel and drop it in.

Also note that SM recommends that the single 4 pin should have power also but not needed. The new PDB only has 2x 8 pin EPS and I've been fully loading the server for testing and I haven't ran into any issues.

You may wonder why I got a 1280 (1000w) PSU.. Well I got a hella good deal, and I do what I want since it's a homelab.
I believe the 'SQ' at the end of the product name stands for Super Quiet, and those PSUs are supposed to be so in comparison to the usual 'aircraft engine' sounding PSUs. I think you are right on getting it as that is exactly what you want for a homelab.