Any Cord Cutters / HDHomeRun users here?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm looking to cut the cord from premium cable service completely this fall when I move into a new house and I'm looking to get myself prepped to do so as early as possible.

My main objective is to find a good and simple (for the wifey) way to integrate free OTA HD channels with my Plex server. I currently use the newest Roku Stick to access Plex but I'm willing to move to a different client to make the merger of Plex + OTA more seamless. I've heard some good things about HDHomeRun but know very little about it.

Insight from anyone who is/has used a similar setup would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Chuntzu

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I have the plex HDHomeRun plugin/integration working quite nicely. CEC remote for plex, channels, HDHomerun. Done deal.

HDHomerun sits up in second floor for better signal, is network attached and TV is wired to network as well, works w/ DLNA built into TV or through rasplex/plex through that plugin. I'd have to hunt for official name/source but google it and you will find it. He made a few releases. I can hunt exact plugins/code on my PC here and plex svr if you need me to though if you get stuck.

EDIT: Here's the goodies.

/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins

HDHRViewerV2.bundle

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have the plex HDHomeRun plugin/integration working quite nicely. CEC remote for plex, channels, HDHomerun. Done deal.

HDHomerun sits up in second floor for better signal, is network attached and TV is wired to network as well, works w/ DLNA built into TV or through rasplex/plex through that plugin. I'd have to hunt for official name/source but google it and you will find it. He made a few releases. i can hunt exact plugins/code on my PC here and plex svr if you need me to though if you get stuck.
This is the plugin you're referring to I assume right?

Which HDHR model are you using and what client are you using to access live TV in Plex with? I've heard the Roku can be really slow to load video from the HDHR.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yessir, that's the one, I use both the built-in Samsung DLNA as well as my rasplex (raspberry pi 2) frontend which just see's the HDHR under 'Channel's once the plugin is installed.

HDHomeRun Extend

Model: HDTC-2US

JeffroMart

Jun 27, 2014
Maybe HDHR Viewer | Plex + HDHomeRun is the one you are using as well? I use it to stream from the HDHomerun via CableCard but I am pretty sure it will also work with their OTA devices as well:

Supported HDHomeRun

• HDHomeRun CONNECT/DUAL (HDHR4-2US)
  • HDHomeRun EXTEND/PLUS (HDTC-2US)
  • HDHomeRun PRIME (HDHR3-CC)
  • HDHomeRun EXPAND (HDHR3-4DC)
Unsupported/Incompatible HDHomeRun

• HDHomeRun DUAL [HDHR3-US/EU/DT]
  • HDHomeRun DUAL [HDHR2-US/DT]
  • HDHomeRun DUAL [HDHR-US/EU/DT]

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yessir, that's the one, I use both the built-in Samsung DLNA as well as my rasplex (raspberry pi 2) frontend which just see's the HDHR under 'Channel's once the plugin is installed.

HDHomeRun Extend

Model: HDTC-2US
Thanks. The Connect model looks the same as the Extend but with Wireless-AC so that's probably what I'd go with. Just need to figure out what Plex to pair with it now. RPi is an option but can you get SlingTV on it as well?

Also, what HD antenna did you wind up pairing with your HDHR?

EDIT: I'm having a tough time deciding between the Connect and the Extend. The Extend does on the fly transcoding but how necessary is that if I want to leverage my Plex server and is that even a good idea?

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I LOVE the extend, just sayin' :-D

Dunno abt SlingTV, and I use a cheapo HD antenna (stick to wall behind TV $5 version) for now, catches all channels for me.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Ewww, I just read up that SlingTV is actually owned by Dish Network...no thanks had horrific experience w/ them in teh past but glad its working for you. Bummer that there doesnt seem to be a Plex plugin for it either and seemingly no interest.

Was all hopeful and all for a few minutes. :-D

Dream crusher Patrick haha

EDIT: Busy this week my arse Patrick...you're just as addicted to this place as we are :-D hahah j/k NICE articles drop! You're a BUSY man...no time for makin' babies it's lookin' like hehe

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
I use kodi rather than plex, call me old school.

I have a hdhomerun v2, but it is only the basic version. I had the v1 but it eventually cooked itself, so bought a replacement.

Mythbuntu runs in a VM which then feeds my kodi front ends from a PVR point of view. I would use just the straight HDHR plugin but I sometimes record stuff to watch later. I really don't like MythTV but it serves a purpose.

Saved tv shows end up on my NAS VM(same box)

Last edited:

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
Mythtv via firewire but on my commute I watch my recorded shows via plex web using the mythtv plugin so that would be an option for your recorded content.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
The TiVo's haven't died yet. For replacement I've been thinking long term of Tablo, easy integration with Plex for whatever your device is...they have a separate app/channel for most platforms as well but everything within Plex makes for a easy interface for others.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ewww, I just read up that SlingTV is actually owned by Dish Network...no thanks had horrific experience w/ them in teh past but glad its working for you. Bummer that there doesnt seem to be a Plex plugin for it either and seemingly no interest.

Was all hopeful and all for a few minutes. :-D

Dream crusher Patrick haha

EDIT: Busy this week my arse Patrick...you're just as addicted to this place as we are :-D hahah j/k NICE articles drop! You're a BUSY man...no time for makin' babies it's lookin' like hehe
I had a bad experience with Dish in the past as well but I've piloted their streaming TV service and it's pretty much the best option out there right now for the wife approved channels (HGTV, Food Network, USA, TNT, etc.)

The TiVo's haven't died yet. For replacement I've been thinking long term of Tablo, easy integration with Plex for whatever your device is...they have a separate app/channel for most platforms as well but everything within Plex makes for a easy interface for others.
I've been looking at the Tablo as well as an option but didn't know it integrated with Plex as well. How well does the Plex channel work and what client are you using to access Plex/Tablo?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Thanks for the link!

I have a Tivo Bolt myself right now that I'm using with a cable card from Verizon but the plan is to drop premium cable. The Bolt came with 1 year free Tivo service which is up in October and obviously have no intention of paying the $15 a month going forward.
With Tivo's lifetime service is where it ends up being cheaper in the long run. My Roamio with Lifetime has been $12.75/month since I've had it and continues to drop in the average monthly price as time goes.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
With Tivo's lifetime service is where it ends up being cheaper in the long run. My Roamio with Lifetime has been $12.75/month since I've had it and continues to drop in the average monthly price as time goes.
I'm really liking the idea of integrating the Live OTA channels into Plex though which the Tivo boxes don't seem to support.

I actually have very little interest in recording OTA TV but I do want to be able to watch it on multiple devices (including remotely) and be able to pause/rw/ff when needed. I'm leaning towards trying out the 2-tuner Tablo + Tablo Plex Channel.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
I'm really liking the idea of integrating the Live OTA channels into Plex though which the Tivo boxes don't seem to support.

I actually have very little interest in recording OTA TV but I do want to be able to watch it on multiple devices (including remotely) and be able to pause/rw/ff when needed. I'm leaning towards trying out the 2-tuner Tablo + Tablo Plex Channel.
Agreed, the other pain point for TiVo is multiple TV's....I need to buy a mini or another full tivo for each additional TV which gets expensive quick vs Tablo/Simple.TV which both have apps to integrate with Roku/Android/ect.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
no time for makin' babies it's lookin' like hehe
I'm guessing, as he visits all the cutting edge trade shows, he'll just be upgrading his teledildonics hardware on the fly, so he can keep his, erm, hand in, while away from home. I'm looking forward to the reviews ;):D