Freight forwarding services to Australia

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

imchipz

Apr 18, 2016
For that one, it's barebone right? If not then it's good value roughly 850 AUD for that price

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Bit busy atm.
Shipito has a calculator to get an idea, try different locations, eg, Hawthorne CA may be cheapest.
There is about $10 surcharge for processing heavy items and $2 for photo for insurance purposes.

Shipito Shipping Calculator

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
@imchipz I read it that $121.02 is the standard price ($114.97 is 5% discount for silver, etc clients (if you choose this carrier)) + $4 insurance (if you pay $2 for photo request).

Also keep in mind $2 fee for receiving package, $10 fee if package is over 30Ibs and an additional bank fee of 4.3% on total price.

Plus any additional services like content photos (for insurance) $2, Fragile stickers (about $1) and Security tape (about $2).

Did you get a quote for Hawthorne, California? It may be cheaper from this location if you are not charged sales tax with EBay seller. (Which is probably unlikely as EBay seller is not in California.)

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
PS. If your looking for RAM try www.natex.us
check Natex thread on Wanted to buy, sell or trade thread on this forum to see if any discount codes are applicable.

See E5 26760 thread for these CPUs if you are interested, someone posted EBay seller is selling a pair for US$110.
Otherwise many people here have bought from Esisoinc or Deep Discount Server on EBay
Make sure you go for the V2 CPU (I believe is SR0KX) as this natively supports virtualisation.

imchipz

Apr 18, 2016
Yeah thanks for the help Boddy. I've got to sit down on the weekend and calculate how much everything cost. The seller just told me $50 to ship anywhere in USA so I'll have to fiddle around. I think natex is the cheapest. I can see the fees add up quick on shipitto but compared to trying to find a 2011 system back home its much cheaper!

What system you runing at the moment?

imchipz

Apr 18, 2016
My main worry is in the other thread eisonic didnt send some people things like shrouds or trays or whatever. Thats a big problem for me because obviously shipping costs hundreds...

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
@imchipz If you select Hawthorne CA from dropdown box in calculator. Freight is about $10 cheaper.

Shipito calc for friend.png

PS. I thought you only needed CPU & Ram for your Openrack? It looks pretty cool with 4 x CPUs.
What do you plan to use it for?

I'm very new to server stuff and not very knowledgeable, though I learnt a lot in these forums.
I appreciate the help I have received from many forum members, so I like to give back when I can.

I'd like to build a demo wiki/forum for social enterprise idea I have in mind.

For my 2011 unit I'm planning to use: Intel P4216XXMHGR Server Chassis 4U Rack 750W Hot-Swap New Bulk Packaging which seller was accepting $115 and MB from Natex $175 + Ram (extra cost). This chassis needs a air shroud and heat sinks, but will suit my 2nd tier storage needs.

imchipz

Apr 18, 2016
Wow nice find Boddy, you're making it very tempting! My wallet will not like you :D

Ah yes you only need CPU + RAM, but for ideal functioning it should include the black plastic shroud for airflow, and the HDD cages for convenience. I just kind of like getting the full thing.

"What do you plan to use it for?"

*mumbles*. Haha I honestly don't have a real use case for them. It would be a lot of fun to play around with the hardware. Super overpowered file server? It's the one thing keeping me hesitant. I don't need it. Like at all. But I want it. So if I can get it relatively cheap it'll be a nice toy.

"I'm very new to server stuff and not very knowledgeable, though I learnt a lot in these forums."
Ah well the server stuff I would do is install esxi ( a hypervisor from vm-ware, google would you your friend in learning about this). Basically it lets you run multiple operating systems, virtually separated. So its fun to play around with and set up your own convoluted home lab. The reason these specific ones are appealing is because 2011-1 motherboards in australia go for upwards of 500-600 AUD. This thing is half the whole system for much less than that. It is to my knowledge the cheapest way to build a 2011-1 system anywhere. And if you're really greedy for power, it's actually the cheapest way to build 2 systems since it is 2 nodes! It doesn't come with any of the nice features of a fancy motherboard. But it was designed by facebooks opencompute project to be super reliable and free of other crap. It all kind of just makes me nerd out. Now to convince the financial decider that it's a good idea.

I really appreciate all the help you've given me. A month ago I gave up on getting a 400!USD quote on this, just for shipping.

For the ram, i assume its cheaper to bulk it with the chassis purchase so it ships together?

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm bit wary myself to 'bulk' ram with the server case for fear ram might get damaged being in same box as 15Kg server.
Or ram may damage motherboard bits. Unless perhaps you get box of ram taped to solid part of server?
If you sign up to shipito $10 month you can consolidate packages or send multiple packages at the same time, and save money that way.
Just an idea.

best of luck

Reactions: imchipz

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Yeah! I successfully completed a purchase with Newegg on EBay.
Newegg did not like my Australian PayPal account.
The order went through using an Australia Post 'Load & Go' card (the Load & Go Travel card, where you can change currency on card).
I reset the card address to my 'Shipito' address in USA, seems order went through ok.
I just need to wait for shipping confirmation to be sure.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Thanks @imchipz for asking. Goods were sent but went to wrong address, instead of Tualatin Oregon they ended up in Vancouver WA???
Close, only 21 miles away, but no Havana!!
I have just sent request to seller to send new item to correct address. (Least they accepted the payment and it left the warehouse...lol)

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Apologies to resurrect this thread. But I found a good write up on freight forwarding from Australian consumer site "Choice":

ShopMate and US freight-forwarding services compared - CHOICE

PS. Re Newegg purchases with "Australia Post Load & Go Travel" card: whilst I had initial success purchasing a $105 Seagate 4TB External Drive.
I have had no success trying to purchase a $20 hard drive from Newegg who stated they could verify my card was from USA. Perhaps there is a limit where verification steps in or the fact I changed my address in Newegg to avoid sales tax?

frollic

Aug 29, 2016
I have had no success trying to purchase a $20 hard drive from Newegg who stated they could verify my card was from USA. Perhaps there is a limit where verification steps in or the fact I changed my address in Newegg to avoid sales tax?
Simply pay by using PayPal ....

PhilipCra

Apr 24, 2017
Have you had any issues with Shipito or is it a case of so far, so good? I just read a nightmare review about their service on another forum, which has made me cautious. I usually use Viabox; as far as I'm aware, their shipping rates are the cheapest & I've haven't had any problems with them. Touch wood.

Reactions: Boddy