SM AOC-2308 Issue's With Sandforce?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
Good Morning,

I have 2x 2308's in my system, and I seem to be having issue's getting 2 of my older SSD's to play nice with them. Long story short, whenever I try to format one of the two SSD's in XFS (or any filesystem) I get a system hang, and a ton of various errors in the syslog (I didn't not record them at the time). That being said, the errors state async write of blocks, the controller driver dropping and then recovering.

That being said, I have other drives running on this controller without issue... a Crucial MX100 (Marvell Controller), and various platter drives. I'm not seeing any issue's on these drives.

So, what I've tried -->

- Different SSD's
- Different Cable(s)
- Different Power
- Zeroing the drives prior to formating
- SMART reports show both drives healthy

The only thing that seems to work is moving these to the onboard storage controller, which seems to allow formatting without issue.

Anyways, all that to say, has anyone experienced this before? I just want to rule out a defective controller.

Thanks in advance!

~Spritz

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Anyways, all that to say, has anyone experienced this before? I just want to rule out a defective controller.
Since you mentioned XFS, I assume this is on Linux? You're running a relatively recent kernel, right? The reason I ask is that SSDs can expose various timing-related firmware / driver bugs.

Is the firmware on the controller and drives up-to-date? The earlier LSI P20 firmware releases had some bugs, but 20.00.04.00 (or the latest, 20.00.07.00) should be fine.

Are there other drives on this controller when you're testing the SSDs?

If you post the error messages, I can probably decode them for you (assuming the Linux driver provides a hex dump - I'm used to FreeBSD). That will probably point to something more specific than the generic error text.

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
@Terry Kennedy

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm not at home right now, so I am unable to give you much of the info you requested... but I can provide the following -->

Linux = Yes (unraid 6.1.9), Kernel version 4.1.18
Firmware = Need to check
Drives = Yes, a crucial MX100 and a 6TB spinner

Related to the firmware, I'm unable to find any newer firmware on Supermicro's website for the AOC-S2308L-L8E... can I just flash the LSI firmware to it?

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

~Spritz

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
You can also contact support and they eill send you a link. I believe they are finally caught up to Avago on their 2308 firmware. I'll be contacting them for my pair shortly.