Building 3 machines on the cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Yes, but guess OP has no SAS3 and also won't come into a SSD bottleneck with his NAS.

Looks more like there will be a bunch of SATA HDD and maybe some SSD for caching. So the SAS2 backplanes with expander-chip keep cost, number of required PCI slots for raid cards and cabling lower.
Single 4i adapter should be enough and can be found easy for a reasonable price.

May 8, 2015
I saw his post. We use a couple of Cisco C260s at work. I'd love to get my hands on the C240s, but I probably can't make the purchase until late July, and I'm in Canada. I doubt @rockitlikeithott would still have them by then, and be willing to ship it.

EDIT: Just realized that we could use the server for work purposes on another site we're working on. At $3k for the lot, we could handle taking them all, and then I get one for "free"...

Hey Bud, replied to your PM. Thanks @Patrick for the shout out. I appreciate it.