Rant of the week - peanuts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'm convinced there must be a special place in <choose your religion's awful place> for people who pack computer equipment in Styrofoam peanuts...those static generating little silicon haters that stick to everything, fly about your shop and generally make a mess. They are a friend to lazy shipper's and a bane to recipients world wide.

Not to mention that they are environmentally unfriendly...

To be fair, inside this god forsaken pile of static the server itself was wrapped in enough bubble wrap that UPS could have "drop shipped" it directly from an airplane - wrapped with enough packing tape to serve all of Santa's deliveries worldwide.

Just had to rant.

Reactions: Patrick and pgh5278

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Just chucked 2 trash bags in the trash... no clue why I even saved them this long!!!

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
I had fun emptying the peanuts from a box that a 4U chassis was shipped in into the (outside) recycling bin in a high wind.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Last box I got packed with peanuts only ended up damaged in shipping cause peanuts move around (imagine that). I still keep a small stash on hand in the rare case I need some extra filler but have phased them out almost entirely for foam or air bags.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I agree. Especially with larger items. The peanuts we cannot recycle and therefore take up an entire trash bin.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
One of the first jobs I ever had was in a company that used to have some assemblies shipped in. All that was ever used for packing them was these damned things. They stuck to everything. It got so bad in the summer months that I bought a couple of negative ion generators and a humidifier to blow over the area I was working in. Pretty much every time you would go to remove the assembly from the packing. zap, take it out the bag, zap, the static was crazy. You would go to walk away to place it on the shelf, all the damned peanuts would jump on you etc. I had the brainwave one day to bond them together with a starch based glue and make insulation panels out of them, not very fire friendly, but in those days Health & Safety was just something written on a poster somewhere :)

cptbjorn

Aug 16, 2013
The biodegradable white/green ones are fine since you can just dissolve them down the kitchen sink. But the super cheap styrofoam ones that fall apart are the worst, I can't wait until they are legislated away.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Biodegradable is good. But dissolving them down the sink might not be such a good idea. In the bay area that water gets into the ocean very quickly...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I do not think I still have a picture of it but we once had a college intern that would take the discarded water bottles from the free supply at work. He would then put them in his car and take them to the recycling station earning $0.025 per bottle. The trunk and his back seat were often filled with bottles.

One day we had the VP call the intern into her office and had HR, the other interns and various other folks empty the water bottle recycling bins on the different floors/ buildings and filled his cube with the empty water bottles. Certainly not as good as peanuts but I think he made $30 off of it.