Supermicro Chassis CSE-745 8-Bay 4U Tower Server Case

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
I have one of these, and it's great - it takes the same hotswap PSUs as SC836, 846, etc. rackmounts (mine only has the low power PDB though, so no 1K28P-SQ without modding), and the trays, while incompatible with those are nice sturdy aluminum, and can be matched with a 5-in-3 drop-in for 13 total drives.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine came with a TQ backplane. I believe that's the only one available for this chassis.

Emojeemo

Apr 15, 2018
Sudbury
Less than $200 delivered. I bought one a month ago and it arrived in excellent condition. It's home to my dual E5-2670 workstation.

Supermicro Chassis CSE-745 8-Bay 4U Tower Server Case - Used/Tested & Working
Hi Fritz. New forum member here. Was very interested when I saw your above post. I believe I'm the other buyer of said Supermicro server in the ebay ad. :) Bought it a few years ago (??) but never used it yet. I'm looking to do a second dual e5-2670 v1 build with a Asrock ep2c602-4l/d16 board. I tried the fit and the SSI EEB board matches up with the standoffs, so small victory there. :) Having a tough time figuring out which "quiet" PSU to use. Was looking at a 920P-SQ but not sure if chassis takes 19 pair gold finger...or 23 pair, etc. My chassis says Model 1533 on the back below the PSU area. If yours is the same may I ask what PSU you are using? Or perhaps you can steer this noob towards a compatible "quiet" PSU. Thanks much.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine is also a model 1533. I'm using a Dremel modified PWS-1K28P-SQ in it. Works great.

I just completed a complete redo. I converted it into a workstation -
MB = Supermicro X8DAH-F
Dual X5675's, 48GB RAM and a boatload of other goodies include a 10G NIC and a IT mode Dell H310 HBA

I will say this, prepare yourself for some major frustration putting a system together with this case. Just fitting the MB will make you cuss. Wiring is a joke, routing the cables so they don't interfere with air flow is damn near impossible. And last but not least, have some band-aids available, you will cut your hands on the exposed backplane pins, etc. It's a nice looking case and a joy to use once you get it all together.

Emojeemo

Apr 15, 2018
Sudbury
Mine is also a model 1533. I'm using a Dremel modified PWS-1K28P-SQ in it. Works great.

I just completed a complete redo. I converted it into a workstation -
MB = Supermicro X8DAH-F
Dual X5675's, 48GB RAM and a boatload of other goodies include a 10G NIC and a IT mode Dell H310 HBA

I will say this, prepare yourself for some major frustration putting a system together with this case. Just fitting the MB will make you cuss. Wiring is a joke, routing the cables so they don't interfere with air flow is damn near impossible. And last but not least, have some band-aids available, you will cut your hands on the exposed backplane pins, etc. It's a nice looking case and a joy to use once you get it all together.
Thanks a lot for the advice. Looked into the dremel mod. Helped me figure out some differences between PSU's. Your new processors, higher clockspeed must be a welcome boost? That's the only thing I wish the E5-2670 v1's had. Great for rendering animation though. Still on the fence as to whether I should do a build with the Supermicro chassis or use another Enthoo Pro case. Stays quiet and cool. Not sure what the CSE-745 would be like sound and heat-wise. I'd hate to have to run down the basement every few minutes. :) Thanks again.

Last edited: