FS: HGST (STEC) s1122 PCI-E SSD's For Sale 480GB and 1TB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RyanJW

Jan 11, 2016
London / Palo Alto
Hi all,

I've got few older gen HGST (really STEC but HGST branded) PCI-E and SAS SSD's brought in for a customer project and have spare extra drives that I thought some people in the STH community might find useful in a Home Lab or VMware project. I used them in a SMC 2750 Atom Board as internal storage with ESXi installed (on a SATA DOM) and my project VM's are extremely fast! AFAIK, there isn't Solaris drivers so I would stick to the Windows/Linux/ESXi ones on the disk.

**UPDATE** 2x HGST (STEC) S1122 480GB PCI-E Accelerator Cards (boxed and with FH and LP brackets and HGST USB Key with drivers) - $200 each

**UPDATE** 3x HGST (STEC) S1122 1TB PCI-E Accelerator Cards (boxed and with FH and LP brackets and HGST USB Key with drivers) - $400 each

Can ship via Fedex to US or EU destinations. I'll get a reasonable quote but shipping is extra. Will add some pics in the next post! I'll also power each drive on for you to make sure it isn't a DoA at time of shipping :)

Thanks

Ryan

**6/20/16 Updated the quantities left :)**

Last edited:
Reactions: Danic

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
For Linux the driver on the disk shouldn't be necessary -- skd support was added to the block driver quite a while ago. I've got an 800GB S1120 in my KVM box and it's a screamer.

STEC had a Solaris skd driver but it may be some work to hunt down.

GLWS.

RyanJW

Jan 11, 2016
London / Palo Alto
Thanks tby! They work sweetly in my Atom boards - I've got them working in ASRock C2750D4I at the moment. I couldn't find the Solaris driver bar online on Github!

MBS

Apr 25, 2016
Do you happen to know if these would work for freenas/freebsd? This would be great for a nested esxi/vsan lab I am doing, but not sure what I would use it for after if i couldn't make it an L2ARC.

teknix

Mar 26, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
zpool.org
I've PMed you about two of the 480GB cards. In case it helps others, the Solaris driver is most likely built-in to most things these days (e.g. OmniOS, NexentaStor, etc.). Here's the man page from SmartOS:

# man skd
SKD(7D) Devices SKD(7D)

NAME
skd - sTec S112x PCIe Solid-State Disk driver

DESCRIPTION
The skd driver uses the blkdev framework to provide a solid-state disk
in /dev/dsk/cNt0d0* from the sTec S112x series of PCIe cards.

The skd.conf file, in /kernel/drv/skd.conf, contains configuration
parameters for the driver, and are documented there. They are
considered an unstable interface, subject to change without notice.

I intend to to take these and partition them in half, using one partition for ZFS write cache, and the other for read cache. I used to do this with Fusion-IO cards to great effect.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
are these useful in windows as a non-boot device?

edit: the links show windows support.

Do the pci-e drives suffer from any sort of "whine"? I am thinking about the 1TB version, looks drool worthy. edit: they're pci-e 2.0 hmm

And just to confirm: these are SLC?

Danic

Feb 6, 2015
jrdm.us
Do you happen to know if these would work for freenas/freebsd? This would be great for a nested esxi/vsan lab I am doing, but not sure what I would use it for after if i couldn't make it an L2ARC.
I got mine today. Thanks RyanJW. But I can report that it dose not work with FreeNAS 9.10 (freebsd 10.3?) out of box. Works in Windows 10 with supplied driver. I'm going to test FreeBSD 11 this weekend.

RyanJW

Jan 11, 2016
London / Palo Alto
Everyone should have already received there cards! Hope you all have fun with them :)

Slight update on numbers. I have the following cards left...

5x 1TB cards.
4x 480GB cards.

Please send me a DM if you are interested in getting your hands on them!

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Received mine right before the weekend, but Mothers day trip day takes priority,... hopefully get to play with it sometimes this weekend. Thanks.

Last edited: