modular >= 850W PSU suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
i may be in the market for a new PSU around the 1kw range, can anyone name a PSU that they've never had any issues with? By issues I mean: fan noise (i.e being too loud, silent preferred) or coil whine ( a deal breaker) ??

I've been looking at the 850W EVGA P2 platinum but may spring for the 1kw version if I were to go SLI.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've had great luck with Seasonic Platinum. I've used the same one in two desktop builds and I have 1 or 2 other in rackmount, and my test bench are Seasonic brand as well. I've also started using the EVGA G2 in various power and so far so good, they're rated great by just about everyone.

Reactions: Patrick

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I have a couple EVGA G2 750 watt PSUs and they are great. You would obvious want to go with the higher wattage version for your use case.

kidchunks

Sep 28, 2014
+1 for the EVGA G2, Using a 750 and 1300. No issues!

Note, the 1300 G2 doesnt come with an ECO mode like the lower watt models but honestly..you don't need it as it's pretty quiet.

I did some research between the two types of PSU (P2 and G2) back when I was buying and didn't find enough of a reason to go with the Platinum series (slight difference in energy saving when both PSU's are maxed).

Good luck!

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
I use a Seasonic Platinum and Seasonic SnowSilent.. both are fully modular and extremely quiet. They also have 2x 8-pin EPS support for use with dual processor server boards :)