Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
I didn't fill out that information when doing the update on any of the Intel 2670 systems I have and they are all fine.

What do your CPU temps look like?

neutrino

Apr 6, 2016
Whatever you do, don't update the firmware! I updated my r2312GL4GS and the fans are spinning at over 5K rpm. :( It was super quiet before I did the update.
Have you checked your system health? My r2312GL4GS had it's fans spin up once, weirdly, and it ended up being a fan that got partially unseated. I pulled it out (fan 2) while running, and reinserted, and fans all returned to normal. There was indication in the server health log.

My firmware update went fine, although like you I lost the serial info (although I did not try to enter it, just left it blank).

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
Just a note re the S2600CP, maybe you know that this board has no audio. One thing I wondered during the build was whether I would get any audio output over HDMI from the graphics card. Answer is yes you do, so even without a sound card I can still watch Youtube videos etc with audio output from monitor, mine is a GT 720, a basic card, so I would expect it is supported on most cards.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Anyone know of well supported hackintosh motherboard workstation board, perhaps dual socket LGA 2011 for these procs?

Currently looking into : ASROCK EP2C602-4L/D16 and Supermicro X9DAI-O (has USB 3.0 + audio) or ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS (USB 3.0)..

though I wonder if it would be better to go with the latest Xeon E3's v5 on a C236 with USB 3.1 and SATA m2 interfaces..

Last edited:

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
Hey All,

I'm trying to update the bios on the S2600CP board, but everytime I do I get an error 1026. I've tried to google it, but I've not had any luck. I've tried different USB keys, different USB ports, different folder structures, no folder structures and I can't for the life of me to get the damn thing to update.

Please tell me I'm missing something stupid obvious.

Thanks!

~Spritz

EDIT - I've also tried various BIOS's and I get the same error.

Last edited:

sag

Apr 26, 2013
Hey All,

I'm trying to update the bios on the S2600CP board, but everytime I do I get an error 1026. I've tried to google it, but I've not had any luck. I've tried different USB keys, different USB ports, different folder structures, no folder structures and I can't for the life of me to get the damn thing to update.

Thanks!

~Spritz

Are you trying to update using the built in efi?

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
I ordered a P4308XXMHGR case that arrived today. OEM-XS was out of the fan shroud and passive heatsinks when I placed my order and the alternatives on ebay are a little pricey. I had a Cooler Master Hyper T4 on hand that I tried to mount today but it was far too high to fit the case. Has anyone successfully used a different cooler with the P4000 series case and the S2600cp motherboard?

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
I'm currently using 2 NH U9DX i4's. Highest temp I've seen so far is 57C and that's with an ambient temp of 24C.

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
I missed your previous post about suggesting those, thank you for both replies!

They are rather expensive though. I suppose I'll use the measurements from those in the pursuit of another cooler though. Thanks again.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
The FRUSDR info doesn't need to be exact but at some point you need to make sure you put in the model of the motherboard correctly or it won't get correct fan curve values. I forgot which field corresponds to the motherboard model. I already went through this headache with an R2312 system after I updated the firmware. It has the motherboard S2600GZ4.

Oakdown

Apr 22, 2016
Don't know if it will help, but inside the ReleaseNotes_BMC_01.25.9398.txt it suggests this:

The following update process must be followed to ensure a trouble free updating
of your baseboard. The order is important to minimize any issues for status
checking as different components are initialized.
1. BMC firmware
2. BIOS
3. Manageability Engine (ME) firmware
4. FRU/SDR package specific to the baseboard.
5. NIC EEPROM

perhaps try updating the BMC firmware first? that being said - I updated my board out of order (went straight for the BIOS too) and all worked out.

what Bios is currently installed on the S2600cp? perhaps you can find an intermediate bios update and do that first?

I literally just dumped all the contents of that file on a usb stick , and in EFI ran the updateBIOS.nsh file and it worked out (?)

Hey All,

Thanks!

~Spritz

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
That looks great. Lots of surface area on the pad. Short enough at 91 x 91 x 110MM.

I also found this option at $22: Arctic Freezer i11. Similarly sized fan as the R17 but slightly larger overall dimension at 90 x 108 x 130MM.
Arctic is more for consumer grade. Dynatron is more for the server grade. The review on Amazon is not good but the sample was too few.

In one of my build I have Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4. I bought them new at $40 each, and both square and narrow ILM adapters are included. It's super quiet and keep the system very cool.

Here is a picture of rubylaser's build.

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
Don't know if it will help, but inside the ReleaseNotes_BMC_01.25.9398.txt it suggests this:

The following update process must be followed to ensure a trouble free updating
of your baseboard. The order is important to minimize any issues for status
checking as different components are initialized.
1. BMC firmware
2. BIOS
3. Manageability Engine (ME) firmware
4. FRU/SDR package specific to the baseboard.
5. NIC EEPROM

perhaps try updating the BMC firmware first? that being said - I updated my board out of order (went straight for the BIOS too) and all worked out.

what Bios is currently installed on the S2600cp? perhaps you can find an intermediate bios update and do that first?

I literally just dumped all the contents of that file on a usb stick , and in EFI ran the updateBIOS.nsh file and it worked out (?)
Thanks for that, I appreciate it! Unfortunately I get the same error when trying to update them individually. The error is "bmclibinitialized returned failed" which it appears somebody else had (different board though) --> Problem!

Unfortunately they didn't post the fix... if they found one.

~Spritz

EDIT - Managed to fix by resetting the BMC bios by using Intel's SYSCFG utility. Once I reset that, the bios update (as well as other updates) went without a hitch.

Last edited:

ibuyufo

Apr 15, 2016
The FRUSDR info doesn't need to be exact but at some point you need to make sure you put in the model of the motherboard correctly or it won't get correct fan curve values. I forgot which field corresponds to the motherboard model. I already went through this headache with an R2312 system after I updated the firmware. It has the motherboard S2600GZ4.
I don't understand why they make firmware update so complicated. I've used Dell servers and it's the easiest thing to update using the lifecycle controller.

ibuyufo

Apr 15, 2016
Thanks for that, I appreciate it! Unfortunately I get the same error when trying to update them individually. The error is "bmclibinitialized returned failed" which it appears somebody else had (different board though) --> Problem!

Unfortunately they didn't post the fix... if they found one.

~Spritz

EDIT - Managed to fix by resetting the BMC bios by using Intel's SYSCFG utility. Once I reset that, the bios update (as well as other updates) went without a hitch.
Can you describe step by step as to what you did? I may try that in my system to see if it will fix the issue with the fans.

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
Can you describe step by step as to what you did? I may try that in my system to see if it will fix the issue with the fans.
Sure!

1. Download the SYSCFG utility from Intel --> Link
2. Place the contents of the unzipped folder at the root of your USB drive.
3. Boot into the EFI shell
4. Mount your USB drive (map -r)
5. Change to your USB drive (typically by running fs0: )
6. Add syscfg to your PATH (set SYSCFG_PATH fs0:\)
7. Reset the BMC bios (syscfg -rfs)
8. Reboot the BMC bios (syscfg -rbmc)
9. Profit?

I hope this helps you :)

~Spritz

Reactions: epicurean