Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
It is the Intel nic I believe, the phy has to come from somebody and it need not be Intel.

Reactions: Patrick

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
That could be my next NAS...
It's still probably $350 a board but that's not too bad, big advantage if you don't need SFP+ of the flex-atx boards is that you get 6 sata ports. For a lot of people boot off the m.2 and 6 sata is enough for a nas, especially with 6 and 8 tb disks plentiful.

danws6

Apr 22, 2016
Howdy, I've searched through the thread and seen a few references to Plex transcoding but haven't seen a definitive yes/no on whether Xeon D would be suitable vs say a E3 Xeon. Can anyone share any of their experiences with running Plex? I've been looking at this board to use for a FreeNas server.

els

Feb 15, 2014
Interesting question! I also like to know if the Xeon D is a good platform for using Plex. I'm considering this board:

Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-7TP4F

Edit: The Xeon D 1540 has Average CPU Mark of 10883. What does the Xeon D 1537?
Single core performance may not be as good as 1540/1541. I have C2758 running FreeNAS without issues however I recently started using Emby. The server doesn't do well when I turn subtitles on. I'm looking into upgrading mine to Xeon D 1521 but I'm not sure if that will make a difference. Certain benchmarks show not much difference between C2758 and Xeon D 1520. It'd be nice to know if Xeon D will do or we'd have to look at E3 Xeon.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Interesting question! I also like to know if the Xeon D is a good platform for using Plex. I'm considering this board:

Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-7TP4F

Edit: The Xeon D 1540 has Average CPU Mark of 10883. What does the Xeon D 1537?
Single core performance may not be as good as 1540/1541. I have C2758 running FreeNAS without issues however I recently started using Emby. The server doesn't do well when I turn subtitles on. I'm looking into upgrading mine to Xeon D 1521 but I'm not sure if that will make a difference. Certain benchmarks show not much difference between C2758 and Xeon D 1520. It'd be nice to know if Xeon D will do or we'd have to look at E3 Xeon.
I have just recently replaced my 1540 with the 1537 and there is not a significant drop off from what I can tell. I also do a good job of optimizing a lot of my most played videos for direct play compatibility so that helps too.

els

Feb 15, 2014
I have just recently replaced my 1540 with the 1537 and there is not a significant drop off from what I can tell. I also do a good job of optimizing a lot of my most played videos for direct play compatibility so that helps too.
Not sure if you are using Plex or Emby - do you have issue with single stream (transcoded) with subtitles turned on? On my C2758 the video will stutter as soon as I turn the subtitles on (embedded in mkv).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Gigabyte boards are still MIA :/
Yep, and I would have loved to see the review of one including power consumption as I would have liked choice other than SM. Then again SM have the best range of features and cpu choice.

C@mM!

Jan 18, 2016
Canberra
Yep, and I would have loved to see the review of one including power consumption as I would have liked choice other than SM. Then again SM have the best range of features and cpu choice.
Unfortunately the GB boards are the only mitx w/ SFP. Otherwise I would have bought a SM board by now.