Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitexp

Apr 21, 2016
hello guys, I try to build my first system with a e5 2670 v1, I'm looking for a cheap mother board single socket. could point me some?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I have a Natex S2600CP board that shipped to UK from US that I'm in the process of building up now. I have just got the board to POST sitting on my desk with a newly acquired Fractal Design Newton 800w PSU and 64GB Samsung RAM. I only let the board run a few minutes since I was concerned about lack of airflow with the board sat on my desk with the supplied 1U copper CPU passive heatsinks, but knowing the board is OK has de-risked the project for me going forward. I have a couple of Cooler Master Hyper T4 heatsinks on order now.

Re the case, I ordered a B grade Phanteks Enthoo Pro case which seemed a bargain but arrived with front smashed so was returned. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise because what surprised me most was the fact this case is soooooo huge!!!! It is pretty much double the volume compared to the dual xeon HP Z600 workstation it will replace. I can live with a single SSD + HDD and a decent GPU, so I really don't want such a big case. I will use it for rendering in Blender plus general PC use.

Up to now my case search has focussed on SSI EEB form factor compatible cases, but since this is a server motherboard these cases are all huge, so I'm now also looking at E-ATX cases. I understand E-ATX also has 12"x 13" form factor as per SSI EEB, and generally all board locations are similar, apart from three of the middle board stand offs are in different locations, but this is easy enough to modify.

I like the Corsair Carbide Air 540 cubist style, apart from the window, but guess I could live with that.
Also Silverstone GD07 is quite small, but it's really a HTPC case.

Anyone else squeezed the S2600CP board into a smaller case??
https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=.../&share_tid=8425&share_fid=66904&share_type=t
Dual E5-2670 build in the smallest case NZXT S340

Reactions: Roy68

jdartnet

Apr 7, 2016
West New York, NJ
www.jdart.net
I have a Natex S2600CP board that shipped to UK from US that I'm in the process of building up now. I have just got the board to POST sitting on my desk with a newly acquired Fractal Design Newton 800w PSU and 64GB Samsung RAM. I only let the board run a few minutes since I was concerned about lack of airflow with the board sat on my desk with the supplied 1U copper CPU passive heatsinks, but knowing the board is OK has de-risked the project for me going forward. I have a couple of Cooler Master Hyper T4 heatsinks on order now.

Re the case, I ordered a B grade Phanteks Enthoo Pro case which seemed a bargain but arrived with front smashed so was returned. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise because what surprised me most was the fact this case is soooooo huge!!!! It is pretty much double the volume compared to the dual xeon HP Z600 workstation it will replace. I can live with a single SSD + HDD and a decent GPU, so I really don't want such a big case. I will use it for rendering in Blender plus general PC use.

Up to now my case search has focussed on SSI EEB form factor compatible cases, but since this is a server motherboard these cases are all huge, so I'm now also looking at E-ATX cases. I understand E-ATX also has 12"x 13" form factor as per SSI EEB, and generally all board locations are similar, apart from three of the middle board stand offs are in different locations, but this is easy enough to modify.

I like the Corsair Carbide Air 540 cubist style, apart from the window, but guess I could live with that.
Also Silverstone GD07 is quite small, but it's really a HTPC case.

Anyone else squeezed the S2600CP board into a smaller case??
Nice, I am rocking this build for Blender rendering as well. Been hitting 1:46 on the BMW test scene.

For cases, the smallest I saw (with hacking required) is the the post above. The link seems to be broken when I clicked it, so here it goes.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I have emailed kalleyomalley to ask if this is the correct PSU filler part to use if you are only running one PSU instead of two:
"Intel FUPCRPSCAGE Redundant Power Supply Cage New Bulk Packaging"
The description says it includes a blank filler.
FYI
Intel FUPCRPSCAGE Redundant Power Supply Cage New Bulk Packaging

Original listing $35
seller was not able to confirm if correct part, suggested I do my own investigation.
My initial offer 2 x $10
seller counter offer $20
seller accepted my offer 3 x $15.

I'm wondering whether it may look like
Intel SC5299 Redundant Power Supply Cage New HP-Q6100XC
though 3 x cages and 2x RAID shipping cost to USA only $26
time will tell when I eventually have item shipped to me.

For those who bought 2 x PSU cases and want to only run 1 x PSU.
Cheers

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
Nice, I am rocking this build for Blender rendering as well. Been hitting 1:46 on the BMW test scene.

For cases, the smallest I saw (with hacking required) is the the post above. The link seems to be broken when I clicked it, so here it goes.

That's a great time for the BMW scene, is this the old one or the new one?

New Cycles Benchmark | Blender Code

The latest BMW file is here along with some other more complex scenes. It's clear that CPU is starting to outpace GPU for rendering, especially when you look at performance/cost. You can post your S2600CP times on there and take all the bragging rights!

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Updated BIOS, BMC etc. yesterday. BMC worked/works in Win7 VM with older Java, also ISO-Files. Still no Video and no ISO`s on OS X, but can live with this atm.
What is more a problem is the amber led on the frontpanel still showing the voltage warning mentioned here. As i read in earlier posts her this was solved with bios update, so i didn't bother first. Now, with current bios, still the same.

This seems to be related with RAM voltage, so maybe try other RAM first ?

AdditionalPylons

Apr 12, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Thanks I love the way he shoehorned the board into that case! Great idea to do the backplate mod to allow additional stand off for the MOBO. One of my concerns was what do I do if one of the missing stand offs aligns with a cable hole in the backplate, and he solved it!
That’s a very nice rig!
I’m so close to ordering the Natex S2600CP deal but I was also struggling a bit with finding a small case.
My plan is to use it as a workstation (and for BOINC/World Community Grid) so I have to keep it under my desk.
Most makers of consumer tower cases put in a lot of drive bays that I personally have no use for. (One SSD is enough for me.)
I have an old ATX-case (Cooler Master Mystique 631) laying around, which has lots of generic mounting holes, including EATX, for which many overlap with SSI-EEB. I would still be missing the 3 holes in the top row of the S2600CP though.
It is by no means an ideal case (no silencing, would prefer without window etc.), but if I remove the whole 5.25”-bay section (held in place by rivets) and drill the three mounting holes in the top then it should be a fairly small case (for an SSI-EEB board anyway), although of course not as elegant as the one in the link above.

I’d much rather like to use a silent case like my Nanoxia DS2, but even though it is a huge case it does not accommodate anything wider than ATX. Since I haven’t done any major hardware mods before I’d prefer starting with the Mystique.
If only regular ATX-sized dual 2011 motherboards (e.g. Asus Z9PA or Supermicro X9DRL series) were a bit cheaper I’d probably go for that and the Cooler Master Elite 361 case which is the smallest ATX case as far as I know. Due to its front placement of the PSU it is about the same size as many mATX cases, plus it also creates a separate air flow channel for the PSU.

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
I think the Mystique looks like a good starting point, especially as you have it already.

One thing I just noticed re temps which makes me more comfortable running in a smaller case is that Intel tends to specify higher max CPU temps (Tcase) for Xeons than for consumer CPUs.

For example:
Xeon
E5-2670 Tcase = 80 deg C
X5650 Tcase = 81.3 deg C
E7-2890 V2 Tcase = 77 deg C

Consumer
i7-5960X Tcase = 66.8 deg C
i5-4670 Tcase = 72.75 deg C
i7-4790 Tcase = 72.72 deg C

Maybe I picked an unrepresentative sample, but it seems to be true even if I compare same size of lithography between Xeon and consumer.

Is Intel using better silicon for the Xeons? Or are they derating consumer products?

Now I start to understand why gamers seem to want to run their CPUs much cooler than people running typical Xeon applications

Reactions: daywalker

noths

Dec 9, 2015
Athens, Greece
That’s a very nice rig!
I’m so close to ordering the Natex S2600CP deal but I was also struggling a bit with finding a small case.
My plan is to use it as a workstation (and for BOINC/World Community Grid) so I have to keep it under my desk.
Most makers of consumer tower cases put in a lot of drive bays that I personally have no use for. (One SSD is enough for me.)
I have an old ATX-case (Cooler Master Mystique 631) laying around, which has lots of generic mounting holes, including EATX, for which many overlap with SSI-EEB. I would still be missing the 3 holes in the top row of the S2600CP though.
It is by no means an ideal case (no silencing, would prefer without window etc.), but if I remove the whole 5.25”-bay section (held in place by rivets) and drill the three mounting holes in the top then it should be a fairly small case (for an SSI-EEB board anyway), although of course not as elegant as the one in the link above.

I’d much rather like to use a silent case like my Nanoxia DS2, but even though it is a huge case it does not accommodate anything wider than ATX. Since I haven’t done any major hardware mods before I’d prefer starting with the Mystique.
If only regular ATX-sized dual 2011 motherboards (e.g. Asus Z9PA or Supermicro X9DRL series) were a bit cheaper I’d probably go for that and the Cooler Master Elite 361 case which is the smallest ATX case as far as I know. Due to its front placement of the PSU it is about the same size as many mATX cases, plus it also creates a separate air flow channel for the PSU.
I thought Nanoxia-deep-silence 2 is also an e-atx case, even Nanoxia site says so.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
I think the Mystique looks like a good starting point, especially as you have it already.

One thing I just noticed re temps which makes me more comfortable running in a smaller case is that Intel tends to specify higher max CPU temps (Tcase) for Xeons than for consumer CPUs.

For example:
Xeon
E5-2670 Tcase = 80 deg C
X5650 Tcase = 81.3 deg C
E7-2890 V2 Tcase = 77 deg C

Consumer
i7-5960X Tcase = 66.8 deg C
i5-4670 Tcase = 72.75 deg C
i7-4790 Tcase = 72.72 deg C

Maybe I picked an unrepresentative sample, but it seems to be true even if I compare same size of lithography between Xeon and consumer.

Is Intel using better silicon for the Xeons? Or are they derating consumer products?

Now I start to understand why gamers seem to want to run their CPUs much cooler than people running typical Xeon applications
I think that this is related to Google's demands for CPUs. They started demanding chips which will operate at a higher temp so they could run server farms without cooling the inlet air. I can't find the exact reference(I remember it was in a youtube video), but I think they were getting special speced processors in the Xeon 55XX range and then this was integrated into the entire range after that. Anyway here is why. Free Cooling: the Server Side of the Story

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
I think that this is related to Google's demands for CPUs. They started demanding chips which will operate at a higher temp so they could run server farms without cooling the inlet air. I can't find the exact reference(I remember it was in a youtube video), but I think they were getting special speced processors in the Xeon 55XX range and then this was integrated into the entire range after that. Anyway here is why. Free Cooling: the Server Side of the Story

Excellent article, thanks for sharing! Interesting what they say about spread core design, ensuring that the air from CPU1 doesn't mess up the air for CPU2. It's making me rethink how I orientate my CPU fans for my build, i.e maybe better to push the air upwards with CPU fans and exhaust air out of the top of the case. The Corsair Carbide Air 540 would lend itself to this.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Intel FUPCRPSCAGE Redundant Power Supply Cage New Bulk Packaging

Original listing $35
seller was not able to confirm if correct part, suggested I do my own investigation.
My initial offer 2 x $10
seller counter offer $20
seller accepted my offer 3 x $15.

I'm wondering whether it may look like
Intel SC5299 Redundant Power Supply Cage New HP-Q6100XC
though 3 x cages and 2x RAID shipping cost to USA only $26
time will tell when I eventually have item shipped to me.

For those who bought 2 x PSU cases and want to only run 1 x PSU.
Cheers
I've temporarily pulled the 2nd PS out couple of inches out & ran the FRUSDR. So it is acting as the filler for the time being and not affect the airflow design

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Has anyone experienced this? System board Agg Thrm Mgn 2 going over 0 was not flagged by BMC Web console. ESXi health status showed this as warning. Ran mprime in a VM for 15 / 20 min. S2600C2J in Intel P4000M chassis

Attachments

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Has anyone experienced this? System board Agg Thrm Mgn 2 going over 0 was not flagged by BMC Web console. ESXi health status showed this as warning. Ran mprime in a VM for 15 / 20 min. S2600C2J in Intel P4000M chassis
Yes, I've seen exactly this. I haven't really worried about it. Did the fans ramp up? One time, the room was just really hot (90 ambient) and the fans didn't ramp up. But the other time, I was transcoding and the fans did ramp up.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Agg Thrm Mgn 2 is a Global Aggregate Thermal Margin sensor; a virtual sensor that aggregates the values from other temp sensors (...I dunno which ones specifically). I've seen the same thing when I was running ESXi and loaded the CPUs. I presume it's a discrepancy with how ESXi interprets that value vs what the Intel BMC does...

Just an observation, your CPU1 was running hotter than CPU2; I presume that your VM running mprime was only using cores from CPU1? If not, then you may have an issue with the heat sink fit on CPU1.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Agg Thrm Mgn 2 is a Global Aggregate Thermal Margin sensor; a virtual sensor that aggregates the values from other temp sensors (...I dunno which ones specifically). I've seen the same thing when I was running ESXi and loaded the CPUs. I presume it's a discrepancy with how ESXi interprets that value vs what the Intel BMC does...

Just an observation, your CPU1 was running hotter than CPU2; I presume that your VM running mprime was only using cores from CPU1? If not, then you may have an issue with the heat sink fit on CPU1.
The thresholds on the bmc Web console for agg thm mgn2 was 0 for both H-non CR & H-CR. So I was wondering why it was not flagging that as a warning.
Fans did kickup a notch and brought the temps back down.
I think the noise level is better/smoother when the fan is running at ~1300-1400 range than at the idle. May be I'm going crazy :)

I noticed the higher cpu1 temp too. I wasn't sure how ESXi was allocating cores. CentOS7 VM was configured with 4 vcpu and 8gb.
I'll double check the heatsinks. I may have to order good thermal compound. Just using the TIM that was on the heatsinks.

I recall your readings also were higher for cpu1. So I thought cpu1 was the one away from the fan. I didn't look at the block diagram.

I'll run tests using a live CD to load both CPUs and check again

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Oakdown

Apr 22, 2016
I built a dual e5-2670 sr0kx system out of z820 parts I acquired on ebay.

Hindsight being 20/20 and now knowing about natex I wouldn't have gone this route, but after reading the techspot article I was on the hunt for a motherboard on Ebay. Without thinking, or should I saw "knowing" - that HP was just proprietary bs, I bought the motherboard NIB, reading some more about my purchase it dawned on me I'd be endlessly hacking a power supply to make it work, but then I found a cheapish (they accepted my offer) z820 case w/ 850watt powersupply also sold on ebay, so it was becoming more realistic, at least without hacking things to work. The e5-2670's I got from a chinese seller on ebay, they were legit and work no problem - shipped in toilet paper, wrapped in bubble wrap though!

the z820 usually comes with a dual rad setup, which I replaced with noctua heatsinks and fans, the ram is 64gb 1866 samsung ddr3 ecc reg ram, but runs at 1600 obviously. Because i'm not using the large plastic cpu cooling shroud, with memory fans etc - I do get some errors on startup - basically it detects that those items aren't plugged in, which it thinks is critical. The shroud (which did come with the case) obviously won't fit over the noctua heatsinks, but there would be an easy way to hack that in so it thinks it's all legit. the fan connectors are different on hps proprietary bs but you just have to file down the one middle ridge on the connector.

Otherwise it works great, I haven't found a good location for the ssd yet, so it's "sitting" in the empty bay location, while a western digital black 1tb drive is through the SAS controller in the hdd bays. I don't know if HP makes a little ssd adapter for those bays, but the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter bracket I have the ssd doesn't align it right to slide into the preinstalled sata/pwr connection at the back of each bay.... the gfx card is just an old nvidia 250 gts, works perfect for straight up rendering jobs in 3ds max/vray, which is all this rig is for. It cinebench's at exactly 2000. one processor does run 10 degree's hotter than the other, but right now in vray one is at 45 - 55 range the other 55 - 64 deg range, so not bad.

I now have a Natex board on order, also with 64gb, that I will build into a phantek enthoo pro case, with dual hyper 212 evo's.

if anyone has any questions about this setup, I'll do my best!
cheers, and thanks for all the info in this forum (even though I found it too late!)