Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Well that would increase your CPU power significantly. Is your disk speed a bottleneck at all in this application? Can you distribute the application across multiple severs easily?

Consider this thread for a $500 dual e5-2670 with 64 gb ram, all ready to go just add disks.
Motherboard/CPU/Memory Bundles for sale
Chenbro server

The supermicro is nice but at $700+$140 (cpus) = $840 is not as good of a value. CPUs installation is easy but delicate with really small pins that it is possible to damage. SAS is like a double sided SATA connector, so just different cables and very similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: NetWise

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just ran Prime95 (Small FFTs) Starting temps were 34/42. After about 10 minutes temps were 55/64. CPU2 is running hotter than CPU1. Don't know why but I don't think it's a circulation problem, CPU2 has a fan blowing into it in addition to the CPU fan itself. Both fans are blowing in the same direction. The fans never ramped up.

daniel1926

Mar 27, 2016
Consider this thread for a $500 dual e5-2670 with 64 gb ram, all ready to go just add disks.
Motherboard/CPU/Memory Bundles for sale
Where can I find a prebuilt dual e5-2670 system for sale? That would be ideal for me. Also, what do I need to do about the operating system?

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I have never used the SAS hard drive interface before. Is it very different from the SATA interface? I only care insofar as it affects my crawler and database. For now, I am thinking about getting an SSD for OS and a few programs and then a few 2TB HDDs. Does that make sense with this machine?
You can use SATA HDDs with a SAS controller. However, the drive bays on the front are connected to a Hardware RAID card. If you're not looking make a RAID array you don't really want that type of controller.

That probably wouldn't be my choice, but if you want to avoid having to to do much building and understand it won't quiet like a desktop PC, doesn't have USB 3.0, doesn't have onboard audio, etc...

Just ran Prime95 (Small FFTs) Starting temps were 34/42. After about 10 minutes temps were 55/64. CPU2 is running hotter than CPU1. Don't know why but I don't think it's a circulation problem, CPU2 has a fan blowing into it in addition to the CPU fan itself. Both fans are blowing in the same direction. The fans never ramped up.
What motherboard?

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Where can I find a prebuilt dual e5-2670 system for sale? That would be ideal for me. Also, what do I need to do about the operating system?
Sorry bad link in my first reply.
Chenbro server
Save 5% on the bundle by using Coupon Code: CHENBROPACK Motherboard/CPU/Memory Bundles for sale

Chenbro RM13704 4-Bay 3.5" HDD chassis
*Intel S2600CP Motherboard w/ Dual LGA 2011 Sockets, 16 Dimm Slots
*2 x E5-2670 SR0KX 2.6GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) 20MB L3 Cache LGA2011 115W Eight-Core
*64GB PC3-12800R DDR3 1600 ECC Registered RAM
*1 x 550W Power Supply
*1 x Intel Hologram X520-DA1 Single port 10 Gigabit SFP+ Ethernet Converged Network Adapter
*Does not include any drive cages

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

daniel1926

Mar 27, 2016
You can use SATA HDDs with a SAS controller.

That probably wouldn't be my choice, but if you want to avoid having to to do much building and understand it won't quiet like a desktop PC, doesn't have USB 3.0, doesn't have onboard audio, etc...
Thanks. I am trying to avoid as much building as possible if for no other reason than I have no ability to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. Also, what is my upgrade path if I buy this in the future? When the next generation of server chips gets decommissioned, will I be able to drop them into this board?

daniel1926

Mar 27, 2016
Sorry bad link in my first reply.
Chenbro server
Save 5% on the bundle by using Coupon Code: CHENBROPACK

Chenbro RM13704 4-Bay 3.5" HDD chassis
*Intel S2600CP Motherboard w/ Dual LGA 2011 Sockets, 16 Dimm Slots
*2 x E5-2670 SR0KX 2.6GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) 20MB L3 Cache LGA2011 115W Eight-Core
*64GB PC3-12800R DDR3 1600 ECC Registered RAM
*1 x 550W Power Supply
*1 x Intel Hologram X520-DA1 Single port 10 Gigabit SFP+ Ethernet Converged Network Adapter
*Does not include any drive cages
what are drive cages and do I need them?

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Thanks. I am trying to avoid as much building as possible if for no other reason than I have no ability to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. Also, what is my upgrade path if I buy this in the future? When the next generation of server chips gets decommissioned, will I be able to drop them into this board?
You could put v2 E5 Xeon CPUs in the board, but that's the end of the upgrade train. Some of them could be a pretty good upgrade. Others, not much of one.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Daniel1926 shoot me a message with what you are looking for exactly. I may have what you are looking for. Just haven't posted it yet.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
To mount the hard drives.

You need the # of cages to match # of drives.
Just to expand on earlier comments:

Here's a photo of a (Supermicro) drive caddie (attachment).

Looking closely at the Natex listing suggests that the drive caddies are missing because we see large rectangular holes in the front of the chassis (where the drives in caddies would be). The listing also says that no disks are included, which leads us to wonder whether caddies are included.

What you would need to do is buy caddies for each hard disk that you want to install in the system. SuperMicro caddies are often about $10 each used on eBay. A drive caddie is drive holder that allows you to slide the drive (in caddie) into the hard disk slots within the chassis. You screw the drive into the caddie and then slide the caddie into the chassis. Putting the drives into caddies and caddies into a chassis is a simple matter if you have the correct caddies for the chassis. I don't know anything about Chenbro boxes or caddies so I refer to SuperMicro ones.

Attachments

Feb 8, 2016
Hi Guys. I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing, but I have a highly multi threaded application (web crawler and database) that is taking multiple days to run on my i7-4770. I've never built a pc before, but I would like to see what kind of a speed bump I can get by moving to a 2 socket e5-2670 setup. To that end, I am thinking about purchasing the following item from ebay and then dropping in two new CPUs as well as additional ram and a couple of hard drives. How difficult will it be to do this (please understand that I haven't touched a CPU since I replace my pentium back in the 90s when it had the intel bug)? Also, can I install windows 10 on this machine and be set to go? If not, what do I need to consider?

I have never used the SAS hard drive interface before. Is it very different from the SATA interface? I only care insofar as it affects my crawler and database. For now, I am thinking about getting an SSD for OS and a few programs and then a few 2TB HDDs. Does that make sense with this machine?

Thanks for all of the help!

Here is what I am thinking about purchasing:

SuperMicro 2U 2*E5-2630 Hex-Core 6C@2.3 825TS-R720LPNBP X9DR3-LN4F+ 6027R-3RF4+
The linked server is an OK deal. Double the RAM for around 100, only then with great care do you choose (read, it is compatible with the 64GB included). Otherwise find a 128GB/256GB matched set. The 2630s, replace at your leisure.

SAS > SATA meaning SAS controllers support SATA drives.

W10 not listed, OS support:
Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support | OS Compatibility Chart

nrtc

Dec 3, 2015
Hi Guys. I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing, but I have a highly multi threaded application (web crawler and database) that is taking multiple days to run on my i7-4770. I've never built a pc before, but I would like to see what kind of a speed bump I can get by moving to a 2 socket e5-2670 setup. To that end, I am thinking about purchasing the following item from ebay and then dropping in two new CPUs as well as additional ram and a couple of hard drives.
Forgive me for asking, but are you sure that the bottleneck in your application is really the cpu/memory currently? Since you mention "web crawler" the bottleneck may very well be I/O bound as well, not to mention that software optimizations can often yield far greater gains than hardware upgrades can (unless you're working with very mature products).

daniel1926

Mar 27, 2016
Forgive me for asking, but are you sure that the bottleneck in your application is really the cpu/memory currently? Since you mention "web crawler" the bottleneck may very well be I/O bound as well, not to mention that software optimizations can often yield far greater gains than hardware upgrades can (unless you're working with very mature products).
At this point it isn't I/O. Crawling and database work peg out my RAM and I am able to see my queue of pages yet to be crawled (one thread per page) and can see that it scales with the number of threads available. I am using Nutch as basis for my crawler so it is a highly optimized piece of code.

daniel1926

Mar 27, 2016
You could put v2 E5 Xeon CPUs in the board, but that's the end of the upgrade train. Some of them could be a pretty good upgrade. Others, not much of one.
In a year or two, will the v2 chips experience the same kind of massive price decrease that the E5 2670 has had?