Unifi Phone

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Got a Unifi Phone Pro in the mail today. Has anyone here played around with them? I've been happy with most of my Ubiquiti purchases except for their cameras and the wife is going to be away for a week so I figured it would be fun to try it out. If you're using a different IP phone that can run apps I'd be curious to hear about that too.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I'm not going to lie. Reason number one is just because I want it :oops:

I plan to use it to have a nice accessible interface at my desk for my home automation as well as to quickly view my IP cams.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The IP Camera usage sounds great if it works good for that :)

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Just got it up and running. Pretty easy if you've ever used the unifi controller before. The one snag was that it wouldn't detect the phone at first but a quick search found that your DNS needs to point to the controllers IP address for the hostname "unifi". A bit silly but not a big deal.

SIP configuration was a breeze in the controller. A quick test call was fine and I was happy with the audio quality. Currently installing Blue Iris.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
The IP Camera usage sounds great if it works good for that :)
As much as I regail tales of how wonderful Unifi wifi and switches are, the cameras are absolutely abysmal. Mickey Mouse, a total joke. My experience, which wasn't far from the norm, felt like I was getting punked. Total instability, drops, reboots, disconnects. Just awful. In fact, I have 14 cameras at my house because we had to pull the system and replace.

ultradense

Feb 2, 2015
They are premium built phones. Hardware is very good with one flaw : the cord is not detachable/replacable.
The software is OK and has most basic features and some advanced features.
POS:
* Phones can be configured, rebooted and upgraded very easily through the cloudcontroller. So this can be done even remotely.
* software is being heavily under construction with updates and patches almost bi-weekly
* builtin webcam
* builtin intercom
* builtin bluetooth(!) on pro and executive (for cheap cordless headsets!)
* builtin wifi on pro and executive
* Google app market
* endless use cases from angry birds to domotica control
* PoE or micro usb powered (battery pack and wifi, anyone?)

CONS:
* phone app is a bit basic, but ok since a few months
* primairy phone app cannot be easily replaced
* non-replacable cord or handset
* no function yet for dual ringtone (internal/external call)
* no full CTI support yet, but can be emulated. However, even Cisco SPA's don't have real CTI...