Chipset Drivers and Server 2008 R2/2012

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Matthew Copeland

Mar 23, 2016
Hello.

First time poster. Patrick graciously replied to an email and pointed me here. Glad to find this place!

I wanted to build a powerful box to run Server 2012 and Hypervisor. Being impatient I rushed buying everything before wrapping my head around the technical details.

I bought a Tyan S8326WGM3NR-IL G34 board and have dual Opteron 6272's. I installed Server 2012 with no issues, and went to install the chipset drivers when I realized Tyan only supports 2008 R2 for this board. (I can hear the snickering).

2012 appears to be running without me having installed a single driver. There are issues (which I will address later), but I was able to successfully run a Prime95 blended test for 24 hours.

My fear is that the system is running seriously gimped. I started looking at some newer G34 boards like the Supermicro H8DG6-F series. I noticed that none of them had chipset drivers for download for either Server 2008 R2 or 2012.

Are all of the newer chipset drivers for AMD/Intel being distributed automatically in 2008 R2 and greater?

Matthew Copeland

Mar 23, 2016
Microsoft tries to make sure basic booting is supported. but there Is no guarantee that all drivers are present

Chris
I am trying to verify if they even make AMD SR5690 chipset drivers?

The Supermicro H8DG6-F series is probably the most modern G34 still available. The only drivers that are available for download from their site are for LAN and SATA. Technically, the SATA could be for the southbridge SP5100 but I don't think they are.

Hardware utilities are reporting that my Tyan has a HyperTransport multiplier of 2.5x instead of 16x which is what is in the board specs. That's 500 MT/s vs 5.2 GT/s. That 500 MT/s limit is being reflected when I run multi-threaded disk read benchmarks.

I am concerned this may be an issue with lack of driver, although the HT organizational site states explicitly that HT is transparent to the operating system.