Dell X-Series Switches - 2 Side by Side?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Does anyone have personal experience with these switches and secondly I wonder if it's possible to mount two different models side by side in the same 1U space. Dell mentions being able to mount two of the same model side by side but I'm wondering if one could mount the X1026 next to the X4012?

If possible I think it could make a pretty flexible networking setup with 16 x 1Gb copper ports and 16 (12 usable assuming dual uplinks between the switches) x 10Gb SFP+ ports.

Dell Networking X-Series Smart Managed Switches

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
That's an interesting idea. I just purchased an X1052 which has way more copper ports than I will probably ever have use for. Your idea, while costing significantly more, would offer a great mix of copper and SFP+ ports.

epimetheus

Jan 15, 2013
  • Optional X-Series 1RU Tandem Switch Tray supports two X4012 switches mounted side-by-side
X4012 is only 12 ports, so 10 usable SFP/SFP+ ports with dual uplinks between the switches.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
  • Optional X-Series 1RU Tandem Switch Tray supports two X4012 switches mounted side-by-side
X4012 is only 12 ports, so 10 usable SFP/SFP+ ports with dual uplinks between the switches.
Yea I saw that line, but I'm wondering if I could combine the X4012 with the X1026 side by side. I imagine it should work.

And yes you are right, for some reason I was confused and thought the X1026 had 4 SFP+ ports.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Also, despite the headline saying SFP/SFP+optional I can't find anything about the X1026 having 10G uplinks

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Also, despite the headline saying SFP/SFP+optional I can't find anything about the X1026 having 10G uplinks
You're right, they are only SFP ports not SFP+ I completely missed that. That pretty much defeats the whole purpose of what I was thinking then.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Only the X1052 / X1052p and the x4012 have 10g / SFP+ Ports.

I own the x1052p and the GUI is a joke and they stripped out the CLI so getting it configured beyond a simple config can be a challenge but once you get through it so far it seems pretty stable.

Of course 4 - 10G Ports isn't enough for a nut like me so I ordered the x4012 which should be here on Tuesday. I am hoping to have it installed before I leave for vacation. I believe it comes with 1 - SFP to 1G Copper Adapter (at least according to the Dell website).

I believe the Part # for the 1U Tandem Tray is 770-BBNQ

Last edited:

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Just an FYI for anyone that might be considering ordering the Dell x4012, apparently the ONLY Rack Mount Option for this half width switch is the Tandem Tray even though they offer Rack Mount Ears (which I thought were the really long / wide ones) but they are the same ones that come in the box which are used to mount it to a wall. As usual Dell's information is WRONG!!!

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just an FYI for anyone that might be considering ordering the Dell x4012, apparently the ONLY Rack Mount Option for this half width switch is the Tandem Tray even though they offer Rack Mount Ears (which I thought were the really long / wide ones) but they are the same ones that come in the box which are used to mount it to a wall. As usual Dell's information is WRONG!!!
Damn that sucks. Did you manage to find the tandem tray? I can't find it on the Dell site.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Its so Tiny!!!

I believe the Dell Part # is the one I listed above 770-BBNQ

Just keep in mind that if you want to rack mount one of these you need to add another $120+ for the Tandem Bracket so if you are going to do two of them it does off set the cost I suppose. Just irritates me that they can't get their information right and i have to return the brackets that I ordered =(

Attachments

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Its so Tiny!!!

I believe the Dell Part # is the one I listed above 770-BBNQ

Just keep in mind that if you want to rack mount one of these you need to add another $120+ for the Tandem Bracket so if you are going to do two of them it does off set the cost I suppose. Just irritates me that they can't get their information right and i have to return the brackets that I ordered =(
My bad totally missed that you posted the part number. That's a rip off to have to spend another $120 just to mount the switch. So Dell offers rack mount ears even though you can rack the switch by itself? That's ridiculous.

On a positive note, it is a sexy looking switch :). I was thinking of picking one up to put in my rack but I'm not keen on it being unsecured to the rack or spending $120 to secure it.

Edit: It's also pretty frustrating not to be able to find any pictures of said mount.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
FYI - According to Dell there "IS" A Rack Mount Kit for the x4012 that does NOT require the Tandem Bracket. Apparently I was sent the wrong part? Like @IasSpartacus Said it is difficult to get any real information and even more difficult to get photos of what you are ordering. So we shall see.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
No I got another set of the Wall Mount Ears for some reason. Those look like they would work and are supposedly Dell Part # 575-BBEE which is what I ordered but didn't receive. I have another set on the way so here's to hoping.
Post an update when you get them as I'm probably going to order the X4012 in the next few days and will need to get the rack mount ears myself. Hopefully I have better luck then you did ;).

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Will do I will hopefully have them before I leave for vacation on Monday. They should be here on Friday so **fingers crossed** that they actually ship today. I will say as an observation that the Dell GUI is so freaking painfully slow which was only magnified when i went back to using my Cisco SG300 GUI, its like a rocket compared to the Dell =(

Check out the GUI Views of the two switches, so funny how strange the x4012 looks compared to the x1052p =)

x1052 Dash.jpg x4012 dash.jpg

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Haha that looks hilarious. I agree with your point on the slowness of the X series switches, my X1052 is really slow as well. Hopefully I won't have to tinker with it all that often once it's fully configured for my new setup.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Seems like once you get it setup you won't have to worry about it. I will say that I am kind of surprised that the x4012 is louder than the x1052p. Maybe because it is a small chassis and has all SFP+ Ports?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I will say that I am kind of surprised that the x4012 is louder than the x1052p. Maybe because it is a small chassis and has all SFP+ Ports?
That's a little disappointing. It must indeed be the combo of all the SFP+ ports in such a small physical package. How many fans does it have?

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
I don't know how many fans it has in it but it does have dynamic fans but as I said it is much noisier than the x1052p. I can also confirm that they do have a single Rack Mount Option, I received the proper kit today and they work fine. I can't imagine how crazy two of these in tandem would be quite loud. I am glad mine is in a rack in my basement but might eventually add a second one.

If the following is true then it seems like using DAC / Twinax Cables takes more power than using SFP / SFP+ Modules and Fiber as you can see here. I might end up going with all fiber but DACs are so much easier. Anyway so far I am pretty happy with the x4012. The GUI is so much more snappy which might be because it only has 12 ports?

x4012 Optical Info.jpg