Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
The Dell seems like a good option, but I feel more and more like I should go ahead and hold out for an 8-port. I have three servers and I think I may swap both of my X520-DA1's for X520-DA2's like I have in my main box. Then I'll take one of the leftover DA1's and throw it into my workstation. Then suddenly I need 7 ports! So...7 ports of SFP+ and not too loud...thoughts? :)

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
The Dell seems like a good option, but I feel more and more like I should go ahead and hold out for an 8-port. I have three servers and I think I may swap both of my X520-DA1's for X520-DA2's like I have in my main box. Then I'll take one of the leftover DA1's and throw it into my workstation. Then suddenly I need 7 ports! So...7 ports of SFP+ and not too loud...thoughts? :)
I believe i mentioned it somewhere, I am in the same boat, I started with my x1052p with the 4 ports, i picked up some cheap Mellanox ConnectX-2 Cards then I upgraded to ConnectX-3 Cards and upgraded my NAS to one that supports 10G. So now I am looking at needing a total of 10 Ports.

I just couldn't get myself to order the D-Link after their BS "30 Day Eval" offer turned out to just order one and return it if you don't like it (seriously???).

Anyway I ended up ordering the Dell x4012 which will give me an additional 12 ports (really 10 minus the uplink to my x1052p) hopefully this will last me a while =)

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I looked at the X4012 and it's a nice looking switch. I don't need that many SFP+ ports at this moment but I'm sure I will a year or 2 from now and I think it will be a great switch to add along side the X1052 I have coming.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
I will let you know, I should have mine next week and one of the reasons I did go with it is the Dell is not very picky about the SFP+ or DAC Cables and I figure it should (ok better) play nice with my x1052p =)

Reactions: IamSpartacus

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
Avaya/Nortel 5530-TFD (layer 3 switch/router)
1Gbe - 12
1GBe/SFP dual-personality - 12
10Gb XFP - 2
130w PSU

A bit of an odd duck with the XFP ports but can be picked up for under $300 on ebay.
I'm actually looking at this unit and the 5640 (48 ports and I pick up PoE). Just don't know how loud these suckers are and they do eat up 60/100w.

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
If you can live with XFP instead of SFP+, there's the Fujitsu XG2000. The seller that has them listed at $999.99 has offered them to me for $300 if I take the transaction off eBay. Not gonna name or link them because that's an eBay TOS violation.

There are also a couple on auction with low bids right now.

No idea if they have a web interface.
I just wonder what difference does it make xfp or sfp+ , these are just different modules which both end up as lc optic.
I have Fujitsu XG2000R from ebay for under $500 and I couldn't be more happier. This is very very high quality 10Gb switch with 20 ports that cost $16000 when it came out.It has redundant power supplies and other features that you will not find in any of lastest top consumer models netgear offers. I glad I didn't wate $1500 on netgear 12 Gb ports, not just because of the money , but it's so much less for so much more.

P.S. I wouldn't even mention it till I got 2 of them for myself first.:)

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I just wonder what difference does it make xfp or sfp+ , these are just different modules which both end up as lc optic.
I have Fujitsu XG2000R from ebay for under $500 and I couldn't be more happier. This is very very high quality 10Gb switch with 20 ports that cost $16000 when it came out.It has redundant power supplies and other features that you will not find in any of lastest top consumer models netgear offers. I glad I didn't wate $1500 on netgear 12 Gb ports, not just because of the money , but it's so much less for so much more.

P.S. I wouldn't even mention it till I got 2 of them for myself first.:)
And what looks to be only 6 40mm fans. I'm sure it's nearly silent. ;)

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
And what looks to be only 6 40mm fans. I'm sure it's nearly silent. ;)
I am not sure what are you saying. It's a 1U chassis , they can't be 120mm fans !:D
They are 6 that's true. And what the coolest part is that they are all HOT-SWAPABLE. So basically you can replace them with more quiet ones if you like without needed to turn off your switch.

P.S. By the way they have normal and faster mode of operation based on temp. You can't get a fanless 10Gb switch you know:)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If you just need it as a dumb switch (e.g. I have 16 boxes that need to know they each exist) and need some lower-end functionality (DHCP server) then the CRS226 is fine. It is when you ask the CRS226 to start doing inter-VLAN routing, terminate 20 VPN connections and etc that the CPU becomes a larger issue. I use them all over for the simple scenario of "I need a few nodes fed by a 10Gb storage NAS and to have 10Gb bandwidth elsewhere."

spyrule

I'm intending to use it to be the primary switch for a small business of 8 workstations, a NAS and ESXi box (each with a 10Gig SFP connection) I run a seperate Sophos UTM as my gateway/router on its own hardware, so I only need this switch to act as a standard switch (with only two vlan's setup at all) and the ability to give good access speeds to the NAS (as its the primary data holder for the whole business).

I'm suddenly looking at the HP J9264A 6600-24G-4XG, that I can pick up for $200 US (which seems awfully cheap), my only concern is noise. As it has to sit on a shelf with the NAS and ESXi box (Dell 2950, Dell 1950 respective, but both with fan mods to make them quieter). I just don't want a switch thats a screamer. I was going to get an LB4M, but the prices seemed to have gone up and is almost the same price. If anybody can confirm how loud the 6600-24G-4XG is, that would be appreciated. It has to sit on a shelf, 3-4ft from two desks, so some fan noise is ok, but I can't have it being crazy loud.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That is an interesting find. Here is the spec sheet. 10x the power consumption of the MikroTik.

• Idle power 167.6 W
  • Maximum power rating 204.3 W
  • Notes Idle power is the actual power consumption of the device with no ports connected. Maximum power rating and maximum heat dissipation are the worst-case theoretical maximum numbers provided for planning the infrastructure with fully loaded PoE (if equipped), 100% traffic, all ports plugged in, and all modules populated.

That is more power consumption than the 2x Xeon D-1541 each with a 480GB SSD and 4x 16GB DDR4-2400 RAM.

talmania

Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for the info here!!

This seems to be the right thread--assuming one was looking for a little more functionality than the CRS226 (vlan, LAG etc) and "wanted to future proof a bit" with the 2x SFP+ which would you recommend? Don't have a strong 10g case right now but will in the future--would I be better off with standard 24/48 port switch? I'm guessing the price between a 24/48 port non-sfp+ switch and one with 2x sfp+'s isn't too large.

Maybe I'd be better off with a 3560 that allows 10g down the road???

Thanks for any/all feedback!

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
After using the X1052 for a few weeks now I have to say I'm fairly disappointed with it. The lack of ability to configure ANYTHING worth configuring from the CLI is really a downer. I guess maybe that's to be expected from a $500ish 10Gb switch but it's really making things more complicated. The fact that the GUI is pretty atrocious obviously doesn't help. It's the slowest GUI I"ve ever used and ll too often when changing port configurations in the GUI it doesn't remove the previous port configuration so I'm often left with ports configured both as trunks and access ports. I have to clear the VLAN configurations off them far too often.

Can't say I'm not contemplating finding a replacement that has better CLI support :(.