Lenovo ThinkPad P70 Powerful Mobile Workstation Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
can you review macbook pro 13"? :)

I am done with thinkpad since durability is going to the sink since lenovo took over thinkpad :|

started with Thinkpad T40, T61, T400, X60S, X220...
the most durable wa T40, T61, T400, X60s (pre-lenovo).
my X220 has some intermitent issue now :...

macbook pro 2008 model is still running without issue and abused...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Sadly I do not think STH is high on the Apple sample list.

Interestingly enough though, I recently swapped from a Yoga 2 Pro to the Yoga 900. It is certainly a different class but I spent around $1100 for a Core i7, 16GB, 512GB configuration. Last week I was at one of the startup / co-working spaces in the valley working with a startup. The founder was a big Apple person. He was showing me stuff on his iMac and had a Macbook Pro. He was a bit jealous when I said "it is ok, this is a Windows laptop you can just touch where you want to click." I do think Apple is going to do a big refresh in the near future.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
yeah I don't think my 2013 top specc'd macbook pro 15 is going to be "slow" anytime soon. And I might just keep it until Apple sets it to EOL. It's a well made piece of hardware.

My work laptop is a lenovo carbon x1, but the gen before they fixed the keyboard. It's fine just not my cup of tea.

The laptop in the review though sounds like a beast of a box.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
This laptop looks awesome! However, I'm somewhat glad I don't have a need for a $4k+ laptop!! The last laptop I got that was $3k+ was P4 era, and she sure cooked your legs!

canta

Nov 26, 2014
yeah I don't think my 2013 top specc'd macbook pro 15 is going to be "slow" anytime soon. And I might just keep it until Apple sets it to EOL. It's a well made piece of hardware.

My work laptop is a lenovo carbon x1, but the gen before they fixed the keyboard. It's fine just not my cup of tea.

The laptop in the review though sounds like a beast of a box.
my macbook pro 13" 2008 still solid and never show up slow down:D,
already EOL..
indeed, in general macbook pro is well made hardware with beauty..

still waiting (deal) to pull the trigger on get another pro 13".....

Canta,

Sorry to hear you are having issues. We had great success with the T60 and W520. The W520, in particular, is built like a tank.
thanks!!:)
T60 is a OK, had been used for years, did I mention X60S...:)

W520, this is better than w530 build :p..

I stop at x220 actually..for small laptop and t430 for my "desktop" laptop

I am just surprise my x60S still surivive today, and!! TFT screen is a lot better than T430.
the most reliable laptop with wins 7 Pro...

kind of sad on my heart. had been spoiled with durable thinkpad since t40/t41(with IPS.. I think.).... and the durable is not on thinkpad X/T/W anymore...

My collection are: Thinkpad T20, t40, t61, T400 (would be my other linux workstation/laptop, the battery is dead), X60S, X220, T430

Last edited:

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Sadly I do not think STH is high on the Apple sample list.

Interestingly enough though, I recently swapped from a Yoga 2 Pro to the Yoga 900. It is certainly a different class but I spent around $1100 for a Core i7, 16GB, 512GB configuration. Last week I was at one of the startup / co-working spaces in the valley working with a startup. The founder was a big Apple person. He was showing me stuff on his iMac and had a Macbook Pro. He was a bit jealous when I said "it is ok, this is a Windows laptop you can just touch where you want to click." I do think Apple is going to do a big refresh in the near future.
ok, noted..

been back and forth with wins 10/7, osx el capitan, and linux (centos, ubuntu, debian, and fedora).
for me only, touch screen on laptop is useless :D, unless I want to sell the product with demo.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
That's a power house laptop. I thought my segar was pretty great with a 4c/8t i7 at 3.0ghz and 32 gb of ram. My real pull was the 5 internal drive bays, 2 msata 2 sata and the immigration got a cdrom to 2.5" adapter but unfortunately that runs at sata 2 speeds. But the Lenovo single drive is hitting the same speeds as my 4 sata drives! It would be pretty fantastic to see one of these mobile work stations with 2-4 nvme slots and 1 msata. Give it time I suppose and it will happen.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
I have the P50, 4k on a 15" screen makes for some very tiny items for those things that do not scale in windows. The P50 can do 2 nvme/sata m.2 ssds and a 7mm 2.5" drive or 2 2.5" drives, the P70 can do two of each. Unfortunately the raid is BOIS locked at the moment so if you dont order it from the factory raided then there is no raid.

I had a W540 and the trackpad is lightyears better than the previous one. I get what they were trying to do but failed at copying the macbook one the pad was not stiff enough

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
This makes me miss my W510, although I think I'll probably see a P40 for one of my graphic designers before I see a P70, any word if we'll see a P70DS similar to the W701DS model?(and is there a chance you'll review the p40 it looks like a great replacement for my S1 yoga from 2014 if i get the budget to replace it as well)

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
My W520 is still chugging along strong after five years of (ab)use. I can't fault it in the slightest on the build quality/reliability front and it's performance is more than adequate for anything I've thrown at it. Cost me £1800 including the mSATA SSD at the time and it's been worth every penny.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
The early lenovo thjinkpads must have had some IBM design work...
Unfortunately since the buyout the quality has tanked.

I support about 150 lenovo laptops, the reliability is not acceptable. I've been swapping them out for Dell
Really? other than the ATI graphics models i saw inbetwen my R61 and W510 they've been great in my experience, I've had my yoga12 for about 6 months now and it's fantastic especially with the one link dock.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
The early lenovo thinkpads must have had some IBM design work...
Unfortunately since the buyout the quality has tanked.

I support about 150 lenovo laptops, the reliability is not acceptable. I've been swapping them out for Dell
What series do you mostly use? E or L series I dont expect to have great reliability but the t/w/x series should be decent.

William

May 7, 2015
This laptop looks awesome! However, I'm somewhat glad I don't have a need for a $4k+ laptop!! The last laptop I got that was $3k+ was P4 era, and she sure cooked your legs!
Yeah I would have to say this one was the most powerful laptop I have used and it could compete with many desktops. I totally loved it.

Just to add, I use a W540 here now and its pretty solid, same with this P70. Not a thing wrong with the designs imo. I do prefer the new touchpad on the P70, they have it near perfect now.