SC846 in a Netshelter CX Mini?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hrast

Oct 5, 2013
My Ikea cabinet just isn't cutting it anymore for my IT needs at home. The Netshelter CX mini (with 12U conversion kit) looks like it might fit the bill, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to put something SC846 sized (depth wise) into it. This is the line that gives me pause "...convert the Basic Enclosure into a 12U Rack Enclosure with a fixed rack depth of 600 mm (26")." I'm assuming this is just stating that the front and rear posts are not adjustable, but that's normally not a issue as the rails themselves are adjustable.

Has anyone got one of these in this kind of configuration that can alleviate my concerns?

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
They actually have a nice diagram with all of the dimensions including the 12U conversion kit: http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/SFIN-8VUE7H/SFIN-8VUE7H_R2_EN.pdf?sdirect=true

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ADAE-98RK47/ADAE-98RK47_R0_EN.pdf?sdirect=true

You are right, it looks like with the 12U rail kit installed, the maximum mounting depth is 600mm/23.62 inches. The SC846 itself is 660mm, so I'm not sure if you could install the rails and mount it shorter. It looks like it might still physically fit in the cabinet and have room to attach cables though (barely/might hit the fan wall in the back depending on where you mount it).

Reactions: Hrast

Hrast

Oct 5, 2013
It looks like a complete crap shoot about whether or not it would fit, and it would be completely predicated on how SM attached the rails to the servers. Guess I'm looking for the 18U version or something else entirely. Thanks for pointing out the docs, I'd seen the first one before, but hadn't paid enough attention to the internal views.

How do other handle noisy loads in their home in a room that might actually get used more than occasionally?

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I have the 18U NetShelter CX and I love it. It fits the 846 great with plenty of room front and back to attach cables etc. The noise reduction is massive (I sleep next to it). But it seems like it's almost the size of a refrigerator!

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Netshelter CX has a good depth!!, you have no worry1!!!!!
the beauty is near SILENT!!!!

I had been looking on craiglist for years!!, nothing shown-up and .... I built my own "netshelterCX" for the fraction of the real netshelterCX price

the detail journest is on -> 14U Ikea closed server rack ...

build with 14U serverrack skeleton, and 2 combined IKEA kitchen cabinet...
upload_2016-3-10_16-52-7.png

Reactions: Gammal Sokk

TheRonin

Mar 10, 2013
Nottingham, UK
Got my netshelter cx mini today, there is plenty of room to fit the 846 chassis but the oem rails won't fit. So I'm either going to use universal rails or make some kind of spacer and use the oem rails.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Got my netshelter cx mini today, there is plenty of room to fit the 846 chassis but the oem rails won't fit. So I'm either going to use universal rails or make some kind of spacer and use the oem rails.
Supermicro says they have shorter-depth rails available. The standard ones for a (modern) SC846 are MCP-290-00057-0N while the short ones are MCP-290-00058-0N.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
looks like TheRonin and I are trying to solve the same issue, my 12u CX mini arrived today and my standard SC846 rails are 2" too long to fit. Im hoping the shorter our rails will suit. I'll keep the thread updated as I try things out....please do the same OP.

Ryan Flagler

Aug 23, 2016
Would love to see some photos of this enclosure. Not many detailed photo reviews out there of it. How big/loud are the enclosure fans?

sth

Oct 29, 2015
ill grab some this weekend....
mines stuffed full of 4u of UPS, SC846 SC826, 1u pfsense 1u cisco switch and I can hardly hear it or the hardware in it. VERY impressed with it.
Paid $400 for it second hand - in like new condition.

Faldaani

Sep 12, 2016
What are the HDD temperatures in the SC846 after a few days with the door closed?
Is it fully populated? Stock fans?

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I have decent monitoring in place to keep an eye on this. Summer temps can be tough here in DC, this is with both chassis running optimal fan settings.

Netshelter CX intake 30 degrees, exhaust circa 40 degrees (APC environmental monitoring of my AP9631)

SC826 with 24x2.5" drives mid-burn in 36 degrees (36 hours in)
SC846 with 12x3.5" drives during scrub 36-40 usually, seen a peak of 42 on warmest day which triggered alarms which are set at 40degC.

the flow of air through the Netshelter is great, my room becomes the limiting factor due to increasing room temps, I considered getting an additional air conditioner for that room but we are moving soon so am just living with it for now.

Faldaani

Sep 12, 2016
I have decent monitoring in place to keep an eye on this. Summer temps can be tough here in DC, this is with both chassis running optimal fan settings.

Netshelter CX intake 30 degrees, exhaust circa 40 degrees (APC environmental monitoring of my AP9631)

SC826 with 24x2.5" drives mid-burn in 36 degrees (36 hours in)
SC846 with 12x3.5" drives during scrub 36-40 usually, seen a peak of 42 on warmest day which triggered alarms which are set at 40degC.

the flow of air through the Netshelter is great, my room becomes the limiting factor due to increasing room temps, I considered getting an additional air conditioner for that room but we are moving soon so am just living with it for now.
That is pretty good, about the same temps I get in an old RPC-4020 with Noctua fans, sitting in a biiig room, outside of any rack.

Do you use the stock fans in the SC846?

I've been looking for an 18U Netshelter CX because it has more exhaust fans, but maybe I should pick up one of the Minis instead.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
all machines using stock fans. Theres enough flow through the mini to cope with a fair bit of air transfer etc. Its also barely audible working 6ft away from it. Think I said it before, Im very impressed.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Can the netshelter cx mini tame the noise level of beasts like the Gnodal gs4008 or Mellanox infinband (qdr or faster) switches?