Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Do we have a list of all Xeon-D mobo's that have been released? (i.e. available to purchase through standard retail channels)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Do we have a list of all Xeon-D mobo's that have been released? (i.e. available to purchase through standard retail channels)
Announced, released and available are three different items. What about the Juniper NFX250? Does that get counted?

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I was thinking more of list of Motherboards that I could buy to build my own server opposed to pre-built equipment using Xeon-D.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was thinking more of list of Motherboards that I could buy to build my own server opposed to pre-built equipment using Xeon-D.
OK - it is a bit fluid right now just because there are so many (e.g. ASRock, Gigabyte and new SM) that will be hitting the market in the next 30-45 days.) Maybe after the dust settles a bit, I will make one.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
@Patrick, its a catch-22. Once the market has settled enough to make such a list possible nobody will need it anymore. :)
Yea maybe we should just have a thread created where people can post links once they are made available. Then a mod (@Patrick?) can add these links to the OP. We can even have links to STH reviews on specific boards that are published.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Pretty sure the list of available motherboards you can buy will exist shortly after the boards start shipping. The people who maintain these lists will be highly motivated to ensure they are kept up to date as availability changes, etc. Several places will provide it. They'll include prices and a simple click-box to order one right there. The sites that will maintain these lists will be found at places like Amazon, Provantage, Superbiiz, Newegg, and even fleabay, among many others. :)

It is a self-solving problem.

OTOH, people's commentaries, experiences and such can be posted in threads on this site. These threads will have creative titles like "Intel Xeon D-1500 Discussion". (hey - that's the name of this very thread...go figure).

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@PigLover are you insinuating that I am not very creative with titles or just stating the obvious fact ;)

BTW for those waiting on the D-1567 and some of the Pentium D-1500 FlexATX boards I did send another note and phone conversation on the topic.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Every word of that post needs to be read with a wry smile and a deeply sarcastic tone. I don't know if I'm grouchy today or what...but I think I need a vacation (hey, my owncloud calendar app says I'm going on one next week - yippy!).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@PigLover are you insinuating that I am not very creative with titles or just stating the obvious fact ;)

BTW for those waiting on the D-1567 and some of the Pentium D-1500 FlexATX boards I did send another note and phone conversation on the topic.
Any eagerly awaiting the reply, I guess not in time for my next trip to USA in a couple of week but should be general availability for my May trip I hope. (Assuming I don't get desperate and willing to pay shipping and taxes before then)

Remko

Oct 26, 2015
Netherlands
Announced, released and available are three different items. What about the Juniper NFX250? Does that get counted?
@Patrick: could and would you elaborate a bit on the Juniper NFX250?

I've read the information on their website, but can't seem to really understand what it exactly is/meant for. What can you do with it? Are prices known? "PFSense" on steroids?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick very interesting. I wonder if SM would provide similar messages. Also would wonder what would happen if this happened while the system was powered up and live.

Sorry to hear about that!
This is an E5-2600 platform version of that error:
upload_2016-3-9_15-13-48.png

destrekor

Mar 12, 2016
Think we're ever going to see a D-1531 Supermicro board? The slightly-higher clock 6-core storage-enhanced part sounds more up my alley when comparing against the D-1528, but I'll take either I think.

Considering I am looking to build an ESXi server with FreeNAS, Sophos XG, and Windows Server (and more to play around with, though the Windows Server will be a light-load as I just want to utilize some basic domain features and to play around with it as a lab-type server).
I figure with the relative load of each going to be light except for when I may need the NAS to provide DVR recording and media transcoding functionality, I figure a 6 core Xeon D should be perfect. I thought about a quad-core but figured that's cutting it too close in the event I want to more heavily utilize ESXi.

I certainly don't need a beast of a system, as the primary purpose of it is specifically for FreeNAS and Sophos XG, everything else is gravy.

In general, what I am trying to figure out, if the D-1531 doesn't become available or I am better served elsewhere, will it be really be worth springing for the D-1537 FlexATX board? Or would the D-1528 suffice for my purposes? I figure I need to be equally concerned with core count and clock speed, based on different tasks and how threaded they are.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Assuming SM even make a D-1531 board it usually takes a few months from announcing to retail channel.
We are still all waiting for the last lot of announcement to be available to purchase and even just to find the price.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What @Evan mentions is correct. I do not think we will see SM boards with every Xeon D Intel has released.

destrekor

Mar 12, 2016
Yeah that much I figured. I do wonder if any manufacturer will use the D-1531, I'd have to entertain an Asrock Rack board if they made one.

Thoughts of whether the D-1528 or D-1537 is best for me, then? I don't think the lack of storage accelerator libraries will hurt that much, as come to think of it, I don't think they've even been adapted by FreeBSD yet.

And one thing I forgot to ask: in the event I'd be focusing on the D-1537, can the on-board LSI HBA be passed through to FreeNAS from ESXi? Or would I still have to utilize a dedicated HBA card?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I'm an hoping @Patrick will managed to some time get some more info of the real differences between the chips.
For example is DPDK disabled on non-network chips ?
What is the special storage optimisation ?
From Intel ark they all just look the same and don't really seems do have different purposes in life except different TDP and core count/speed.

I would just go with whatever you can get when you buy it. 6 or 8 core won't make too much difference.
As a general rule mostly less but faster cores are better than more slower core. (Eg 4x3.5ghz over 8x2ghz) but the speed differences in Xeon-D are not that much (except the 1.3ghz high core count ones) so core count more.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I still think it is marketing, longer product lifetimes and etc. Nobody at Intel has convinced me otherwise.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I still think it is marketing, longer product lifetimes and etc. Nobody at Intel has convinced me otherwise.
Form all my reading on the Intel web site same opinion until somebody convinces me otherwise as well.

The board I wanted is now in stock but was still wondering how the new boards will price out with SFP+, but I have a feeling won't really be cheap. D1508 storage cluster would have been nice.. But if it's only a few $$ cheaper than than the 4/6 core boards probably better to have the cpu.