Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Its a dual-channel design. Run 2 or run 4 and you won't see any difference (assuming you put them in the right slots, of course). Run 3 and you cut the memory bandwidth in half, half of the time.

In general, a very bad idea.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Currently booting just fine with 96GB but not sure if it was a bad idea or not and now much it affects performance.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I'd really love to see some CPU Passmark numbers on these new 12 and 16 core chips so I can compare their potential transcoding power in order to know which will be the best value for me to replace my 1540 with.

Last edited:

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I'd really love to see some CPU Passmark numbers on these new 12 and 16 core chips so I can compare their potential transcoding power so I know which will be the best value for me to replace my 1540 with.
Can a single core handle 1 stream? Also, why transcode and not directstream?

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Can a single core handle 1 stream? Also, why transcode and not directstream?
I'm not sure what you're asking exactly. With Plex, transcoding is a necessity if you are supporting a lot of different streaming clients as they don't all support the same file formats. I have Roku's, Chromecasts, Androids, iOS devices, Smart TVs, Tivos, etc. all connecting to my Plex server and thus my CPU gets a lot of workload. In addition to the live transcoding, I also have a good amount of background transcoding happening whenever a Sync is kicked off for offline availability. The faster I can get those transcodes done the better.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I'm not sure what you're asking exactly. With Plex, transcoding is a necessity if you are supporting a lot of different streaming clients as they don't all support the same file formats. I have Roku's, Chromecasts, Androids, iOS devices, Smart TVs, Tivos, etc. all connecting to my Plex server and thus my CPU gets a lot of workload. In addition to the live transcoding, I also have a good amount of background transcoding happening whenever a Sync is kicked off for offline availability. The faster I can get those transcodes done the better.
I have Roku, iOS and Android devices and they all seem that they can directstream which means very little CPU used. Although the Roku has a bug which causes it to hang sometimes if I enable this. So I almost always transcode audio for it.

What I asked specifically was "How many cores (the CPU has 8) are required to handle a single client" or worded differently "how many devices can your 1540 handle?"

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I have Roku, iOS and Android devices and they all seem that they can directstream which means very little CPU used. Although the Roku has a bug which causes it to hang sometimes if I enable this. So I almost always transcode audio for it.

What I asked specifically was "How many cores (the CPU has 8) are required to handle a single client" or worded differently "how many devices can your 1540 handle?"
What type of files are you streaming (what codecs?)?

My CPU seems to be able to handle 5-6 transcodes at a time. I'll often have upwards of 10 streams going at once, half of which are transcoding. But if anyone tries to kick-off a Sync while any live transcoding is taking place that process will take hours.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looks like they are adding an ARM chip to the board.

TI AM3352 ARM Cortex-A8, including crypto accelerator, 300 or 600 MHz (The following specs are for ADI's TI A8 based MicroBMC module)

MicroBMC: pfSense Based BMC Module | ADI Engineering
I spoke with the ADI Engineering guys at IDF15 and they told me about this. ADI Engineering is who makes the pfSense branded appliances that are not Supermicro appliances.

Their basic idea is that many of the BMC functions are very close to a subset of what pfSense has, and there are only a few relatively easy things to add.

I did also speak to a few vendors over the past six months or so about when we will see an AST2400 replacement given that they use a TON of power compared to these low end SoC systems. The feedback was that the Aspeed guys are good at fixing issues quickly and with that good of support, why make a change.

I would offer that a Raspberry Pi 2/ 3 can easily outpace an AST2400 from a SoC performance standpoint, it just needs a PCIe connection and the software side to mature.

Ramos

Mar 2, 2016
I would offer that a Raspberry Pi 2/ 3 can easily outpace an AST2400 from a SoC performance standpoint, it just needs a PCIe connection and the software side to mature.
Would a Celeron J1900 board work? ... I had a check for fun and those come with PCIe 2.0 x16 (So 3.0 8x speed) and room for 16GB memory and the board and CPU was listed at around 63 euro (x2 Rpi3) and TDP 10-15W.

Edit: The mem is extra though unlike a Rpi/C2/Xu4.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
@Patrick very interesting. I wonder if SM would provide similar messages. Also would wonder what would happen if this happened while the system was powered up and live.

Sorry to hear about that!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Would a Celeron J1900 board work? ... I had a check for fun and those come with PCIe 2.0 x16 (So 3.0 8x speed) and room for 16GB memory and the board and CPU was listed at around 63 euro (x2 Rpi3) and TDP 10-15W.

Edit: The mem is extra though unlike a Rpi/C2/Xu4.
I was more saying that the AST2400 is basically a mini ARM based computer that runs the BMC system. The GPUs in those are super old and the ARM chips are not the fastest. I just think today, a Raspberry Pi is a better ARM chip and platform but it does take a lot of design work to get a BMC going.