smbd Notice?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Any idea what this error means? I see it when logging onto my OmniOS shell, which I rarely do. Who knows how long this has been going on for. Could it have something to do with Plex by any chance? I have it installed on another machine. The data is stored on the OmniOS.

Is there way to see source IP of what is triggering this error?

Thanks!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Someone or something tries to SMB connect as anonymous/guest
I would disable/ enable Plex and check the OmniOS console if the messages are related

If you allow unsecure networks to connect your filer, you should enable the OmniOS firewall
where you can allow/deny traffic based on port/protocol, nic or ip adresses/ local networks.

With napp-it pro or when using an eval key, you can use the napp-it security panel to set
the firewall or to check for the needed settings.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Sorry for the late reply, I just noticed someone responded.

The server is on an internal network on the LAN at my home. It is not connected to the outside internet at least not through a DMZ and no ports are forwarded to it so unlikely someone is trying to log-in from the outside. I turned off my plex server on the other computer for a week but issue still occurs.

My eval expired long ago, so cannot use built in firewall. Is there any other software I could use to detect at least what IP the log-ins are coming from?

Thank You!

Attachments

Bob T Penguin

Dec 16, 2015
I see the "dat share not found" error on my omnios fileserver. What I find interesting is the last letter of the share location is always missing, e.g. the error says "dat share not found" instead of "data share not found". I dont get the NT Authority error.

Anyway, on my home network it appears to be caused by windows 8.1 clients forgetting the login credentials for the SMB share. It seems windows tries an anonymous login to an SMB share before it brings up the login dialogue. I've manually added a login credential to the "windows credential mananger" (Control Panel \ Credential Manager) for my file server and that seems to make the error go away.

FYI my Napp-it version reports these error under "System \ Log".

Regards
BobPenguin

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can also add your Windows user/pw to OmniOS.
This will allow a login from Windows without asking for a pw