Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Example for the X10SDV-8C-TLN4F: "X10SDV-8C-TLN4F-SINGLE" (more expansive) and "X10SDV-8C-TLN4F-O". What's the difference ?
Thks
I think '-O' is the retail version, i.e. In a regular retail box. Hopefully somebody else here can confirm I am correct.
The single ones at a guess would be single boards repackaged from a multi pack.
Of course could also just be the way it's been added to the web shop.

Reactions: hjfr

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
LOL, not even in the realm of the same price...
That's for sure... If they were not so power hungry they are still great CPU costing almost nothing.
Retiring so many ESX and DB servers with 2 X5670 and 144gb or 192gb ram almost seems crazy but they are over 4 years old and the new E5 v3's with 256,385,512gb ram makes sense.

I still can't get over how little a DL380 g7 with 2x X5670 and 144gb must be worth. Just about scrap.

Xeon-D is perfect for home systems though :)

AmshTemp

May 28, 2015
Just saw the amazingly packed X10SDV-7TP8F listed for $2,417.09
A well deserved price for a motherboard that "almost" made a dual E5v3 irrelevant ... almost...

Amazing...

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just saw the amazingly packed X10SDV-7TP8F listed for $2,417.09
A well deserved price for a motherboard that "almost" made a dual E5v3 irrelevant ... almost...

Amazing...
I think some folks have seen them for $2200 or so. I do not know what final pricing will be on those just yet, but the chip is eating up probably 75% or more of the costs there.

The board we have in the lab is really cool. 16x SAS2 ports which are great for hard drives. Four onboard SATA III ports, a mSATA port, a m.2 PCIe slot make for a really nice storage platform.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
How do you think the 12-16 core Xeon D's (the ones at 45w) will perform at transcoding compared to say my Xeon D-1540? I'm seriously considering getting one of the new wave 2 boards for the onboard SFP+ ports but I'm enticed by the thought of having some extra transcoding power as well.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
How do you think the 12-16 core Xeon D's (the ones at 45w) will perform at transcoding compared to say my Xeon D-1540? I'm seriously considering getting one of the new wave 2 boards for the onboard SFP+ ports but I'm enticed by the thought of having some extra transcoding power as well.
Personally, I would try offloading to something with QuickAssist or similar. If you have something you want me to run the next time the machine frees up, I am happy to try.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Personally, I would try offloading to something with QuickAssist or similar. If you have something you want me to run the next time the machine frees up, I am happy to try.
Is there a low powered quick assist enabled CPU that would compare to my D-1540? My main use case is Plex transcodes both on the fly and users who Sync (thus transcoding files down from 1080p/10-15Mbps bitrate down to 720p/3-4Mbps bitrate).

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Is there a low powered quick assist enabled CPU that would compare to my D-1540? My main use case is Plex transcodes both on the fly and users who Sync (thus transcoding files down from 1080p/10-15Mbps bitrate down to 720p/3-4Mbps bitrate).
I thought video transcode was QuickSync(through fixed function units on the gpu) and QuickAssist was network. Something like a E3-1265LV4 might be the best low power chip for that right now with the Iris pro graphics available to it.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I thought video transcode was QuickSync(through fixed function units on the gpu) and QuickAssist was network. Something like a E3-1265LV4 might be the best low power chip for that right now with the Iris pro graphics available to it.
That's what I thought as well but I was deferring to @Patrick on that one. However it is my understanding that Plex does not utilize GPU transcoding at this time, it's all CPU based.

Reactions: Chuntzu

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
That's what I thought as well but I was deferring to @Patrick on that one. However it is my understanding that Plex does not utilize GPU transcoding at this time, it's all CPU based.
that appears to be the truth unfortunately it seems ffmpeg needs to support quick sync first, it's a shame since that seems to be something quick sync would be perfect for and it's in just about everything with an intel IGP even the new atoms (x5-z8300 product brief) seem to have it I couldn't imagine a compute stick as my plex server even with it though...

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
that appears to be the truth unfortunately it seems ffmpeg needs to support quick sync first, it's a shame since that seems to be something quick sync would be perfect for and it's in just about everything with an intel IGP even the new atoms (x5-z8300 product brief) seem to have it I couldn't imagine a compute stick as my plex server even with it though...
Yea unfortunately it doesn't appear to be on the immediate horizon either which leaves me to focus my attention on the best performing CPUs.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This is totally correct. My bad. In transit during a snow storm in Salt Lake city. Win holds on the lifts this morning too!!!

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Are any MicroATX Xeon-D boards expected to come out or should we expect it to continue being Mini-ITX only in the SFF area?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Are any MicroATX Xeon-D boards expected to come out or should we expect it to continue being Mini-ITX only in the SFF area?
Flex atx for some of the new supermicro boards which is only just a little shorter.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Flex atx for some of the new supermicro boards which is only just a little shorter.
Ahh nice. This ASRock Rack board looks just about ideal but it is...ASRock and well...I'm not crazy about their server offerings nor their customer service.

ASRock Rack > D1540D4U-2T2O8R

EDIT: The only Flex ATX SM offerings I'm seeing on their site which are coming soon are using the D-1518 and D-1537. I don't want to downgrade my CPU from the 1540, if anything I want to go up. But I'm loving the on board networking and storage features.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Ahh nice. This ASRock Rack board looks just about ideal but it is...ASRock and well...I'm not crazy about their server offerings nor their customer service.

ASRock Rack > D1540D4U-2T2O8R

EDIT: The only Flex ATX SM offerings I'm seeing on their site which are coming soon are using the D-1518 and D-1537. I don't want to downgrade my CPU from the 1540, if anything I want to go up. But I'm loving the on board networking and storage features.
Can't say I would feel as comfortable with ASRock either but probably not too bad, still their boards seem to be on d1520/1540 not the new cpu's.

The one your would want from SM is this beast !
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-7TP8F
But rather extensive. Then again has SFP+, 16 SAS2 ports and 6x1g network as well, 2 x8 slots free for anything else... Like a couple n NVME drives ;)

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Can't say I would feel as comfortable with ASRock either but probably not too bad, still their boards seem to be on d1520/1540 not the new cpu's.

The one your would want from SM is this beast !
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-7TP8F
But rather extensive. Then again has SFP+, 16 SAS2 ports and 6x1g network as well, 2 x8 slots free for anything else... Like a couple n NVME drives ;)
Yea that CPU/board is insane but even though I tend to overbuy for the future, that is overkill even for me :D. With MicroATX/FlexATX options now starting to come out I can probably get away with even skipping out on the onboard SFP+ ports and get an add-in card down the line since my network is not 10G at the moment (yet will be by next year). I'm now on the hunt for a MicroATX/FlexATX board with a good onboard storage controller and Xeon D that will at least match my 1540.