How much bandwidth have you used over the last month at home? Feb 2016 edition

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Visseroth

Jan 23, 2016
I'd post a screenshot but unfortunately I had to blow away my installation a few days ago. Still trying to figure out why.

But my usage ranges between about 400 and 800GB/mo But seriously badskater, lol, 1 and 4TB, nice! LOL

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
7TB+ in wow -- either you watch a lot of TV or do a lot of work from home ;)

Reactions: Chuntzu

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
According to PRTG as of a few minutes ago for the last 30 days
In to my Firewall 45GB
Out of my Firewall 136GB
Total in / Out 181GB

wsuff

Aug 16, 2015
575GB for Jan. Still have Comcast TV since HOA includes it. Sadly will need to switch to biz class if/when the residential caps are imposed.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
707gigs down 100gigs up for the last 30 days. 3 kids, 2 adults with heavy netflix/hulu/other streaming, home lab, work, and general surfing. Good thing I'm on business class. With a 350gb cap, that'd be a big bill on residential Comcast. 85/15 connection here.

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

17 TB in jan.

[..]
Ekke, thats quite a bit of data. I always though I was a bandwith hog but... There is always a bigger fish.

After my old provider went bankrupt i had to get a new connection. This ofcourse took weeks. So the first opportunity that represented itself I got a second connection installed. Thats never happening again. 3G sucks for data intensive work and streaming.

Out of curiosity.
- What kind of connection is that?
- Do you use that at home or is it a connection @work or in the DC

ekke

Nov 16, 2015
Ekke, thats quite a bit of data. I always though I was a bandwith hog but... There is always a bigger fish.

After my old provider went bankrupt i had to get a new connection. This ofcourse took weeks. So the first opportunity that represented itself I got a second connection installed. Thats never happening again. 3G sucks for data intensive work and streaming.

Out of curiosity.
- What kind of connection is that?
- Do you use that at home or is it a connection @work or in the DC
Ordinary home connection, lan cat 5e.
500/100 officially.

trippehh

Oct 29, 2015
The previous month? 8.6TB. A couple months ago it went past 10TB.

Foreveralone dude household. Gigabit ("1000/1000") residential FTTH on a open access network in Norway.

The TV cord is cut. Yes - a lot of streaming. Both inbound and outbound. Netflix in UHD.

Thats a lot of data of course, and streaming doesnt explain all of it. There's some STUFF of course (foreveralone remember), and backups, live database replicas for various projects, experiments, working from home... So this is nowehere near representative for a normal household, cord cutting or not.

This is actually quite moderate compared to what it was while running a Tor relay, which consumed 5TB a day. Not an exit relay, mind you. ISP didn't mind, but I eventually needed to use the hardware for other things. :eek:

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Ordinary home connection, lan cat 5e.
500/100 officially.
WHAT>???

I'm on the highest tier available home connection in my country and can't even top out my advertised 100/40. I'm lucky if I ever get over 85/30. I have all the jealousy!

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
The previous month? 8.6TB. A couple months ago it went past 10TB.

Foreveralone dude household. Gigabit ("1000/1000") residential FTTH on a open access network in Norway.

The TV cord is cut. Yes - a lot of streaming. Both inbound and outbound. Netflix in UHD.

Thats a lot of data of course, and streaming doesnt explain all of it. There's some STUFF of course (foreveralone remember), and backups, live database replicas for various projects, experiments, working from home... So this is nowehere near representative for a normal household, cord cutting or not.

This is actually quite moderate compared to what it was while running a Tor relay, which consumed 5TB a day. Not an exit relay, mind you. ISP didn't mind, but I eventually needed to use the hardware for other things. :eek:
High def pr0n uses a lot of bandwidth. No judgment here. :)

Reactions: capn_pineapple

ekke

Nov 16, 2015
WHAT>???

I'm on the highest tier available home connection in my country and can't even top out my advertised 100/40. I'm lucky if I ever get over 85/30. I have all the jealousy!
Sounds that you are on docsis. Shared channels.

In my switch loop there are 12 switches in a single loop 1gbe to a aggregation switch not 2x1,just the single gbe, most switches are 24 ports some 48. Bandwidth utilization is soo low on average if you exklude me, often 1 to 5 Mbit total upload during the days, average at peak around 2100 is often 10 ish Mbit...

So on average a customer dont use bandwidth, you need hundreds of customer to even get some traffic going, average traffic that is. Since dl mostly is short and bursty.