What chassis or server do you guys recommend for my backup server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Yesterday ended with frustration and me wanting to completely throw my Rosewill case out into the street hoping it would get completely crushed by a garbage truck. Just as an aside their rails and chassis are complete garbage. Do yourself a favor and just don't ever bat an eye at them for server components...just...don't...

What do you guys think would be a solid and cost effective chassis or prebuilt server I could look into for my backup server? Main storage chassis is an SC846 so...my thoughts were leaning towards another SuperMicro case in that same series.

The SC826 looks solid. The only drawbacks are that they're kind of pricey compared to the 846 and most have direct attached backplanes. Not a huge issue as I can re-use my 9650SE with SAS to x4 SATA breakout cables. This limits my storage capacity to 12 drives before having to add another chassis or whatever. However my plans are to use the 8TB Seagate Archive drives in 6 mirrors for 48TB of effective back up space. 12 drive bays isn't a huge issue when drive capacity will be high.

Other alternatives were the SC836 which may not be possible to buy as a barebones with SAS2 expander. mrrackables just told me he isn't selling it barebones config right now and most 836 chassis on ebay are overpriced with expander and parts I don't want/need or have the direct attached backplane which would require me to replace my RAID card with a 16 port variant instead of a 12 port one.

And then I could just get another 846 chassis for maximum expandability which would reduce my costs down the road(e.g. wouldn't have to buy another chassis or server as I'd have 48 drive bays across 2 servers.

As far as prebuilts are concerned the Dell C2100 has always been attractive to me but its expandability is limited as it only has 2 PCI slots and only 2 onboard NIC ports +1 for IPMI. The R610 servers are perfect nodes since they have iDRAC + quad GbE with 2 fullsize, full length PCI slots but I don't think anything else out there that's prebuilt that comes close to doing a prebuilt with a SuperMicro chassis in terms of expandability.

Any suggestions?

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
Just curious to find out what Rosewill chassis you have and what problems are you having?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Any suggestions?
I will have some CI Design NSR316 chassis becoming available shortly (and could do sooner if you are interested). These are 3 RU 16-bay hot-swap chassis with hot-swap 820W rear PSUs. In each chassis will be a Supermicro X8DTH-iF board (that's the nice one, with 7 PCIe x8 (in x16 sockets) and a pair of E5520 CPUs with Intel STS100C heat sinks pre-attached. Controller is a 3Ware 9650SE-16ML w/ custom cables to the drive backplanes, along with BBU. They will also have a slot-load DVD-R drive, a pair of WD Black 2.5" drives for the OS, and a Dell SAS5/e for external SAS connectivity. All you need is RAM (DDR3-10600), data drives, and an OS install and you'll be good to go. All of the firmware (motherboard BIOS/IPMI, 3Ware and SAS5/e, and even the DVD-R and WD Black) will be at the latest revision level.

Here's a picture showing the care that was taken in the integration - you'd be getting everything in the picture except for the RAM (Item 8) and the funky SSD (Item 3) which you wouldn't want anyway. And (of course) no data drives, but the hot swap trays and all mounting hardware is included.

6F5S7557-s.jpg

6F5S7930-s.jpg

If you (or anyone else) is interested, PM me and I'll put something up in the for sale forum.

Reactions: Patrick

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Question: your replacing the guts (MB/CPU/RAM/HBA) with more modern parts, which I get, but what do you think you get with the SC826/SC846 that you don't already have in the Rosewell cases? Your pretty much talking about replacing the ironwork, PSU, fans, backplane and hotswap only. Yes - you get a better overall build quality but to what ends? Your not even making much of a change in form factor.

If it were me and I had those two boxes in hand I'd probably strip them, sell the guts, and use the money I saved NOT buying new ironwork on better parts for the server.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I for one like my Rosewill 4U, and the identical hot-swap cage I got on amazon and put into my ATX case. I removed some of the inside 'bracing' but the fans are directly behind the cages, desktop PSU fit in nice, it's really easy to work with... minus not being near as dense as an 846 and not having redundant PSU it's MUCH MUCH quieter, draws much less power at idle (due to fans) and has a lot more (desktop style) fan options.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
I for one like my Rosewill 4U, and the identical hot-swap cage I got on amazon and put into my ATX case. I removed some of the inside 'bracing' but the fans are directly behind the cages, desktop PSU fit in nice, it's really easy to work with... minus not being near as dense as an 846 and not having redundant PSU it's MUCH MUCH quieter, draws much less power at idle (due to fans) and has a lot more (desktop style) fan options.
Would you mind sharing details of the hot-swap cage?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Do you only sell 10yr old gear or do you have something more modern?
I think that's a bit harsh, considering that the NSR chassis is current production from CI. The OP specifically mentioned a 9650SE controller and a need for lots of PCI slots. The X8DTH-iF motherboard is still an actively stocked SKU at Newegg and elsewhere. Yes, it is an older generation, but more like 5 years than 10. I think it'd be a nice package for someone who wants to drop some memory in and be up and running (as it appears the OP does), rather than spending time putting stuff together, possibly dealing with incompatibilities, and so on.

Sorry if it doesn't float your boat - I was trying to be helpful to the OP.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I think that's a bit harsh, considering that the NSR chassis is current production from CI. The OP specifically mentioned a 9650SE controller and a need for lots of PCI slots. The X8DTH-iF motherboard is still an actively stocked SKU at Newegg and elsewhere. Yes, it is an older generation, but more like 5 years than 10. I think it'd be a nice package for someone who wants to drop some memory in and be up and running (as it appears the OP does), rather than spending time putting stuff together, possibly dealing with incompatibilities, and so on.

Sorry if it doesn't float your boat - I was trying to be helpful to the OP.
Sorry for being snippy, but they were released in 2009, so 7yrs if the chassis can still be used with current gen boards that is awesome. I am a bit of a hardware snob, tend to buy no older than 3 and sell at 5yrs... I am also under the weather so smack me if I come off mean, it is not my intent.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I know it's been a while but a while back I picked up a bunch of Compellent SC-040 chassis(which are SC836TQ chassis) a while back for dirt cheap and scrapped the internals. I only buy supermicro chassis these days because of parts availability and the redundant power supply units are easy to find and not overpriced(well, depending on the model). I'd probably opt for the Norco RPC-4224 as well but these days I'm kind of a supermicro fanboy and also, the 4224 uses the same asinine rails that Rosewill uses, the Supermicro rails do have ball bearings as well but they just have better build quality and aren't garbage.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Yeah, my Rosewill isn't rack mounted just sitting there :) couldn't bring myself to spend more $$ on that thing with all the SM chassis I have + free rails essentially for them...

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Sorry for being snippy, but they were released in 2009, so 7yrs if the chassis can still be used with current gen boards that is awesome.
Yup. It tops out at EATX (12" x 13") so it won't hold most oddball quad-socket boards (which usually have special cases anyway). It has a full set of mounting holes for various form factors. The stock power supply (as shown in my pic above) is 24-pin ATX + two EPS12V + a bazillion 4-pin Molex + PMBus.
I am a bit of a hardware snob, tend to buy no older than 3 and sell at 5yrs... I am also under the weather so smack me if I come off mean, it is not my intent.
I'm more interested in storage than compute power for the systems I build, so a longer lifecycle works (with a mid-life kicker to higher-capacity drives and sometimes a faster controller).

Reactions: izx

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I used to runn one server with R 4U and move old 5of3 to that,

on R 4U, you need to replace all fans since they provice cheap crap fans, get the rails(very expensive with low quality).

had an issue on "R 4U big handle when put in the rack. I did not use R rails since expensive and not good.

overall total, buying used SM case 836 or 846 is the better solution for me when did refresh h/W

quit is +++ on R 4U since can use regular desktop PSU, and 120mm fans backplane.
but treated SM case can be downed much in quitness.
I uses 12V to 7V buck down dc2dc converter for driving SM fans :). the fan spec say 7V-13V working voltage.

comparing fans. R 4U fans is low in power consumption, but cheap fans. I replaced all fans :D.

now, my R 4U is just sitting on the floor.

I prefer robust SM server case than R 4U...

I bough 2 actually in years back when Newegg had sales: $70 each with freeshipping . very cheap...
still has one in the box( older model 4000 not 4500).

but.. I love R 4U front door:D...

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I know it's been a while but a while back I picked up a bunch of Compellent SC-040 chassis(which are SC836TQ chassis) a while back for dirt cheap and scrapped the internals. ...
I saw SC-030 and SC-040 can be bought cheap...

I bought in Dec 2015 SC-030 for $90. this include SM front plastic cover......
and took out all and replace with SM X8..... motherboard.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
You guys are not the only ones looking for cheap Supermicro chassises. I buy literally every "cheap" Supermicro 846/847 I can come over these days. The demand for them is huge! I have like 20 clients asking me every day about when I will get new chassises.

Currently I'm looking into the E1 models, as some people says that they work fine with 3TB+ drives as long your controller firmware is up to date. I have one E1 model and several controllers that I will test this on. SAS1 bandwidth limiation is plenty for most fileservers anyway.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
You guys are not the only ones looking for cheap Supermicro chassises. I buy literally every "cheap" Supermicro 846/847 I can come over these days. The demand for them is huge! I have like 20 clients asking me every day about when I will get new chassises.
Why would one prefer the jet engine like SM chassis over say Rosewill RSV-L4500? SM needs a lot of modding to bring the noise level down. Ofcourse if it going into a data centre or a basement closet it is another matter.