Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I was like, how did I miss this board coming out, then saw the Marvel controller for SAS :p.
I know marvel isn't the best but they actually work quite well on this, granted i wanted a quad port nic when i bought mine more than the raid controllers so i haven't tested them too thoroughly they at least haven't been a bottleneck anything i've used(admittedly a small array of kingston ssd's for a few small database applications nothing super intense) but they benchmarked at their full capacity

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
I just have no place for Asus in my networks anymore. I have had stupid design issues, horrendous support, and too many failures. Laptops, motherboards, video cards, etc.

Seeing the Marvell for not only the nics, but the sas as well would be a turnoff for me, as I want something that has longer term support, and as we have seen in other threads of late, companies like VMWare would rather focus on bigger names.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I just have no place for Asus in my networks anymore. I have had stupid design issues, horrendous support, and too many failures. Laptops, motherboards, video cards, etc.

Seeing the Marvell for not only the nics, but the sas as well would be a turnoff for me, as I want something that has longer term support, and as we have seen in other threads of late, companies like VMWare would rather focus on bigger names.
Actually that's a point i've been curious on, the NIC is an intel i354 quad port nic but the PHY is a marvell phy, windows doesn't seem to be aware of the PHY in any manner that i've seen and i'm not sure as to the implications on this performance wise it's been stable and tests out at gigabit but i don't use it for a lot of "heavy lifting" more as a swiss army knife (lansweeper ninite pro and the ubiquiti unifi controller are all the regular use applications running on that server)

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
Actually that's a point i've been curious on, the NIC is an intel i354 quad port nic but the PHY is a marvell phy, windows doesn't seem to be aware of the PHY in any manner that i've seen and i'm not sure as to the implications on this performance wise it's been stable and tests out at gigabit but i don't use it for a lot of "heavy lifting" more as a swiss army knife (lansweeper ninite pro and the ubiquiti unifi controller are all the regular use applications running on that server)
Interesting that Asus does not say anywhere on their product information page that they are intel nics, which is usually a selling point... In fact, you have to dig into the manual for the board to see Intel i354 anywhere...

karpodiem

Jan 1, 2014
What's the anticipated street date for the A1120/A1150/A1170? June?

Xeon D w/14 SATA ports would be perfect.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I was like, how did I miss this board coming out, then saw the Marvel controller for SAS :p.
The ASRock ones aren't that great with the Marvell 9172 being used for the M2 slots either... that suggests AHCI-only and not PCIe/NVME doesn't it...? I'm also yet to be convinced of the SFP+ ports running off the Cortina chips but hopefully Patrick et al getting their hands on some boards might help my confidence... but I won't hold my breath.

Continuum

Jun 5, 2015
Virginia
The ASRock ones aren't that great with the Marvell 9172 being used for the M2 slots either... that suggests AHCI-only and not PCIe/NVME doesn't it...? I'm also yet to be convinced of the SFP+ ports running off the Cortina chips but hopefully Patrick et al getting their hands on some boards might help my confidence... but I won't hold my breath.
Looking at the block diagram in the manual, besides the marvell sata interface, each m.2 is also connected to a pcie×1 interface. The manual also lists compatible pcie m.2 boards, though the support list does not indicate whether the protocol for the pcie boards is nvme or ahci. Regardless, with a single pcie lane, performance will be limited.

Manual available at:
http://66.226.78.22/downloadsite/Manual/D1540D4U-2O8R.pdf

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Looking at the block diagram in the manual, besides the marvell sata interface, each m.2 is also connected to a pcie×1 interface. The manual also lists compatible pcie m.2 boards, though the support list does not indicate whether the protocol for the pcie boards is nvme or ahci. Regardless, with a single pcie lane, performance will be limited.

Manual available at:
http://66.226.78.22/downloadsite/Manual/D1540D4U-2O8R.pdf
The 9172 is a SATA3 AHCI controller that hooks up via 1x PCIe 2.0 so I don't see how it can do anything other than AHCI M2 drives... unless they've got some fancy switching in place so that PCIe drives get access to the raw PCIe, and AHCI drives are passed through to the 9172 controller...? Their supported M2 SSD list shows both SATA3 and PCIe drives so I'm not sure how else it's meant to work with the involvement of a 9172 controller.

Edit: Aha yes, on closer inspection from the block diagram it looks like the M2 slot is fed by both the 9172 controller and a PCIe 3.0 lane direct from the CPU so the BIOS must decide which controller it connects to. But as you say, with a single lane performance will be capped at 985MB/s. But better than having to deal with a marvell controller :)

acmcool

Banned
Jun 23, 2015
Woodbury,MN
Looks like ASrock still can't deliver....After placing order got an email saying they need to do further testing....Not happy at all...:(

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am expecting one in Feb.

junos

Jan 25, 2016
SM said they are testing X10SDV-TLN4F with D-1541 in this week.

Warranty wise, SM provides 3yrs warranty and Asrock 1yr only, Is that right?

Last edited:

TheHaughom

Oct 28, 2015
So how long 'til we get those D-1541's on the market.
On the look for a new home-lab board/cpu, and got a bit put off the 1540s because of the SR-IOV issues.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So how long 'til we get those D-1541's on the market.
On the look for a new home-lab board/cpu, and got a bit put off the 1540s because of the SR-IOV issues.
I would expect in the next few weeks. By the first or second week in March I would expect many options to be available.