FS: 4 NVMe Drive cage, cables w/ or w/o 1 SuperMacro Card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Naeblis

Oct 22, 2015
Folsom, CA
I am selling a 2U Intel 8 x 2.5 Drive cage that has support for 4x 2.5 NVMe drives. You can get it with 1 SuperMicro Card (all i have) for $525 or w/o the card for $350. 4 cables to connect to the NVMe port on the other end are included. Examples of the cards that i have tested and work with this set up:

I have tested the IOPS and throughput and they are the same as with the official Intel card / riser. The issue with the official Intel card & riser is that it only works in a limited number of servers. I am currently using this cage and SuperMicro cards to get 10 hot swapable drives in my 2U server.

what is included $525
  • 2u 8 2.5" Drive cage w/ support for 4 2.5" NVMe drives. Non-Intel drives work in here
  • 8 2.5" drive caddies (green)
  • 4 intel SAS cables
  • 1 SuperMicro AOC-SLG3-2E4 NVme PCIe card (this card supports 2 NVMe Drives)

I only have 1 SuperMicro Card. You can get others for about the same price difference between the two sets.

what is included $350
  • 2u 8 2.5" Drive cage w/ support for 4 2.5" NVMe drives. Non-Intel drives work in here
  • 8 2.5" drive caddies (green)
  • 4 intel SAS cables
Shipping is actual shipping costs based on your Zip code

Reactions: tare55 and Patrick

Naeblis

Oct 22, 2015
Folsom, CA
Here are some pics and background. I did this to find a way to get around the lack of the official cables to be used with the hyperkits and SuperMicro Cards. Right now i only have 3 drive cages and 1 SuperMicro Card.

Back plane. The cable connectors highlighted in yellow are not needed or included. I actually have no idea why they are there. When i have plugged them in, the performance actually decreases. The power cord ( goes in where the blue circle is) is not included either. I have no way of knowing what will be on the other end.
upload_2016-1-5_14-0-30.png

Front of cage with the 8 caddies. This cage will physically fit in 2 5.25 (CDROM) bays (your own mounting hardware needed)
The official Intel caddies are blue. You are welcome to put blue duck tape over the green :)
upload_2016-1-5_14-4-58.png

4 Intel Cables to connect to backplane. (please indicate if you would like 950MM or 650MM)

upload_2016-1-5_14-8-57.png

SuperMicro Card (I only have 1) and i have lost the half height bracket. (i will look for it, no promises)
upload_2016-1-5_14-7-13.png