Can more than one subnet use a single internet connection?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I asked this before and didn't get a usable answer. I have one computer I would like to isolate from the rest but yet still allow it an internet connection. The way I see this happening is to have the one computer on a different subnet from the rest but I don't know if this is even doable hence my question. However this is accomplished it cannot be port based.

I have just upgraded to the routing firmware on my LB4M. Don't know if this creates any more possibilities or not. Any help much appreciated.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What is your router setup and upstream setup?

I am guessing you have something like:
10.0.0.1/24 (subnet 1)
10.0.1.1/24 (subnet 2)

And you are trying to get them to go through a router/ firewall to the internet?

Naeblis

Oct 22, 2015
Folsom, CA
Yes you can. assign a different IP address to the stand alone computer that has a different 3rd number, like Patrick lists above. assign the IP address of the router as your gateway. you can get that from your computers that use DHCP.

I use Vlans on a the router to do something similar. In my case i am separating my domain traffic from my home traffic. The VLANs can have the same port. If they do use the same port, you will need some way to get IP address. in your case with 1 computer you can hard code the IP for it. Then use DHCP for the others

upload_2016-1-1_16-42-21.png
upload_2016-1-1_16-42-59.png
upload_2016-1-1_16-43-36.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

djflow195

Jan 1, 2016
Yes. It is do-able.

You can create vlans on your router, one per subnet. Trunk that to your switch and put the PC access port in the second vlan. The rest put in the first vlan. Or setup routing on the switch. Then add static routes (or use a dyanmic routing protocol between the router and switch) in the router to point to each subnet. PC access port is in the second vlan. Other devices go in the first vlan.

Difference between the two is where then inter vlan routing occurs and setting up the routes.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
One other example is that I have a pfSense box that has two subnets/ switches. Each subnet has a dedicated interface. One for primary machine interfaces and one for IPMI interfaces. pfSense has an interface for both and both have Internet access.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I'm going to put together a pfSense box. Seems that consumer routers are just to basic.

Reactions: T_Minus

Marsh

May 12, 2013
You could practiced pFSense setup and configuration with Hyper-v or ESXi or KVM.
No cost to experiment, I run a virtual router on every Hyper-v and ESXi lab to allow internal VM network to have access to internet.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
I'm going to put together a pfSense box. Seems that consumer routers are just to basic.
I gave up on consumer routers many years ago. Got tired of wasting a couple hundred dollars every year or so after things started flaking on me.

They aren't hardy enough, configurable enough, or dependable enough. I am sure someone will say "openwrt, ddwrt, tomato, etc.", tried em all through the years, and while it was an improvement, start off with low end low power chips, and you still can't go too far - the little geo metro is never going to be a corvette...

Only thing I miss about the little routers is the difference in power usage, and I got over that long ago.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I've got an old AMD FM1 cpu and MB laying around I can use. I'm assuming pfSense doesn't require top shelf HW.

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
I've got an old AMD FM1 cpu and MB laying around I can use. I'm assuming pfSense doesn't require top shelf HW.
If your needs are simpler, then yeah, old stuff is totally fine.

IME, certain things will require more beefy cpu - some vpn configs, snort/suricata, antivirus, fat internet pipes.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Gonna give it try. I can always upgrade if it doesn't work and I have everything I need to put the box together so no out of pocket expense.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Downloaded pfSense ISO and the extension is *.ISO.GZ. I have no freaking idea what this is and neither does Windows Hyper V. I removed the .GZ and still no go. So how does one go about installing pfSense?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Downloaded pfSense ISO and the extension is *.ISO.GZ. I have no freaking idea what this is and neither does Windows Hyper V. I removed the .GZ and still no go. So how does one go about installing pfSense?
Do you have 7zip? I would get that and un-gz the ISO.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks. Will do. :)

Crap, now I see what it was. It was an ISO zipped up in a Linux GZ which is a zip file. Pardon my ignorance (again :()

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick