Supermicro Storage Beast!!! -- 72 Drives in 4U! E5..ETC!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I wanna know total weight when loaded w/ 72 3.5" drives??? :-D

"Folks, we're gonna need one of them fancy DC lifts"...either that or risk another inguinal hernia LOL...yeah I abused myself good and hard back in my 'DC rack monkey POC lab days'...fun work but that injury was NOT fun!

Sad thing with this is if you load a standard 2U 24 2.5" array w/ all SSD's it will trash (performance-wise) two or three of these 72-disk beast loaded w/ rust buckets :-D of course will not touch capacity say if you throw 6 TB's in (72 X 6TB...yowza that's 432TB, creeping up on 1/2 PB in 4U)...sniff it's a beautiful thing!

To shame the AFA ssd array 4-8 NVMe's could toast that setup I think I can safely assume. Of course the capacity story gets HIGHLY skewed there so if BULK data is your thing I'm talkin' nonsense/headed in the wrong direction :-D

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuntzu

craneopbru

Oct 12, 2015
To be fair, the barebones you linked to already includes the motherboard. That being said, this is an INSANE deal for whoever happens to be looking for that exact config right now. This thing is listed at about 40% of what it would cost you to build it new right now.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
i agree its a great deal / price, but its gotta be a hard sell when you can get the 24 and 36 drive version of that 4u chasis (just chassis) for 250-500$ on ebay at times... this also seems like a perfect time to ask a question ive always had:

HOW ON EARTH do those dual sled 3.5" drive caddies work??? in terms of your inner drive fails and needs to be swapped, but the outer drive is fine and still running / part of a raid (or otherwise in use), how do you remove the bad drive without taking the good one offline?? (bc as i understand it you have to remove the entire caddy which contains 2 drives, front to back and some kind of caddy-built-in sata cable to cover intra-caddy wiring lol )

tks

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Good question/follow-on guys, I wonder the same thing abt 'serviceability'. Also had the SAME thought abt a SC847 (granted it IS barebone) but two of those and you have same drive density...at 1/3 of the pricepoint but DOUBLE the RU space though :-( tradeoffs/compromises I suppose.

craneopbru

Oct 12, 2015
....HOW ON EARTH do those dual sled 3.5" drive caddies work??? in terms of your inner drive fails and needs to be swapped, but the outer drive is fine and still running / part of a raid (or otherwise in use), how do you remove the bad drive without taking the good one offline?? (bc as i understand it you have to remove the entire caddy which contains 2 drives, front to back and some kind of caddy-built-in sata cable to cover intra-caddy wiring lol )

tks
My first thought is that you'd have to pull the server offline to swap the bad drive and then bring it back up.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Great points, and @james23 the price of 2x 846 (or 847 for that matter) is exactly why this doesn't make sense for me, or anyone else who might have enough rack space.

=]

If it were 900$ now that may be worth while to poke at for a while, ha ha

Reactions: Chuntzu

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
Really depends on the type of storage if you would have to pull the whole system offline to swap the drives. I think these might have been designed around something like Ceph. Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Object-Based Storage Cluster Depending on how you set it up, the system will still be redundant against a variety of different failures including multiple drives within one system, whole systems going down, whole racks going down, network partitioning, etc.

Reactions: T_Minus