weird sandisk USB key 8G of cruzer blade

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
the first usb key issue that I see in my life.
I bough 2 refurbished sandisk USB key (new) that posted on SD months back.
yap, original Sandisk not fake...

one has symptoms on disappeared files when plug-ing to usb port for minimally 12 hours....
this happens recently within one-two month since not tracking in detail due on the key is doing transferring between "secured/unrelease product" developement machines and my laptop.

one last weird was yesterday, one of many files (scripting files).
I know those files should works and did not!!!
finally figure out after one 1 hour debugging -> one file is truncated!!!!!

the other one is perfect and no issue at all.

the only I can do is format and reuse again.
just exhausting my rant:D

lesson learn for me: do not buy "Refurbished" usb key for works ;P

canta

Nov 26, 2014
No warranty.

I keep the USB key for novelty only ha-ha.

A good side. Already having 4 new lexar 8g keys.
I need some 8g or 4g for transferring files/booting/debugging on many dev machines ( embedded devices) that are disallowed to connect to network.

Having big USB key does not have benefits on me.
Having many8g keys are....
Since 8g keys are cheap when on sale..
I will stay away with refurbished keys as today.

oops:
I need 8G keys since some machine can not bootable from bigger USB keys...
newer machine can do but some 3-4 years old could not due on hardware limitation (cost reduction :D)

Last edited:

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Not a rep of sandisk, but the best flash drives I have *ever* owned is the sandisk extreme [pro] usb 3.0 drives. Outstanding drives with a lifetime warranty. Physically well designed too.

Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
finally figure out after one 1 hour debugging -> one file is truncated!!!!!
There was a scam doing the rounds a few years back where some ghost shifts were made of reputable USB sticks... the USB controller would have a hacked firmware put on it reporting a 4GB or whatever USB stick but the drive itself would only have a 128MB flash chip; would work fine until you hit the 128MB barrier.

If you're running into truncated files sounds like you might have grabbed one of these...? If you've got no warranty and the key is verified useless you might as well pop the key open and see what chips you've got in it...

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Not a rep of sandisk, but the best flash drives I have *ever* owned is the sandisk extreme [pro] usb 3.0 drives. Outstanding drives with a lifetime warranty. Physically well designed too.

Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
this is refusbished sandik 8G cruzer blade :|
I put sandisk on the first list."D

yap. $ would tell the quality is :D

I am just surprise that got bitten this time with "Refurbished" usb key :(. my only on only bought refurbished USB key. I was focus on cheap and believed the seller tell the truth.
I know the seller is no faking up, but they mentioned on the page " this is refurbished usb key and no warranty" .
refurbished sandisk key does not have lifetime warranty, the warranty depends on the seller

there is "refurbished" permanent marked on the front of usb key.

ok, enough my ranting, and I would enjoy the weekend with my kids :D

canta

Nov 26, 2014
There was a scam doing the rounds a few years back where some ghost shifts were made of reputable USB sticks... the USB controller would have a hacked firmware put on it reporting a 4GB or whatever USB stick but the drive itself would only have a 128MB flash chip; would work fine until you hit the 128MB barrier.

If you're running into truncated files sounds like you might have grabbed one of these...? If you've got no warranty and the key is verified useless you might as well pop the key open and see what chips you've got in it...
I read articles on the net years back.

will do that to open...when time is available :D....

the issue is.. when I leaves more than 12 hours.. the data in the key is gone forever!!! what a hack.

copying can cause some file is not fully copied, but not always...
I would say .. the nand memory in usb key is a toss!

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
If it is a "modified" USB key where the actual capacity is less than the one that it states, you can test it with the program h2testw.

The website is in german, but the program have also been translated to english, and works quite well.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
If it is a "modified" USB key where the actual capacity is less than the one that it states, you can test it with the program h2testw.

The website is in german, but the program have also been translated to english, and works quite well.
thanks!!

tested and the usb Key did not lie..

as I said, I would keep as a novelty. never and never buying refurbished key again....

neo

Mar 18, 2015
How accessible are these drives? For $10 you can get 32GB one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e=as2&tag=servecom-20&linkId=DGNCD7D2TIUQAVFE and the 16GB is $7.

If it were me, I would probably just toss the problem drives and get new ones at that cost.
Yeah, I deployed these drives all the time. But not anymore.

I have exactly 2 of them mirrored as my personal FreeNAS bootdisk. 3 months old. 7-12 days ago I issued a FreeNAS update and upon restart it decided to go on a curruption vacation.

Both drive suffered damage, I have it mostly fixed after working on it almost everyday for the past~ 2 weeks. I put all my work on hold because of it. I have crucial files on my FreeNAS that I need to access. Tons of work files that are currently in limbo. But I'll fix it, it's almost 100% there until I can backup the FreeNAS config/db and throw these drives out.

I'll be buying industrial SLC USB keys from digikey.com after this.

From first screenshot you would think everything was fixed, but it seems to have famously suffered the mirrored corruption scenario.

This is where the FreeNAS login WebGUI should go...